Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pickup tube  (Read 4494 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
pickup tube
« on: November 17, 2011, 11:54:32 am »
I've got a couple of kettles with ball valves in them, but they are set high enough that I often tilt them to get more out and a pickup tube would keep me from having to do that.  The outlets are smooth on the inside, so a screw in pickup tube won't work.

I could probably just shove a length of soft copper in there and bend it to suit.  Any other ideas out there?
Tom Schmidlin

narvin

Re: pickup tube
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:00:13 pm »
You don't have a NPT port on the inside?  If you don't get a tight fit with whatever you add, you might lose siphon once the liquid level falls below the ball valve.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:20:28 pm »
No, it is welded in.  Good point about losing siphon, but some kind of cork could probably be rigged with some silicone sealant.  A little vaseline should prevent it from sticking to the kettle while it dries in shape.  Hmmmm . . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:30:27 pm »
You could wrap teflon tape around the copper tube until you get a snug enough fit.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 12:35:11 pm »
I'm trying to envision the fitting...a pic or two would help Tom.
Ron Price

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:48:13 pm »
I had this same problem. I assume that you have female, half couplings welded to your kettle.

I ended up making my own fitting by brazing a copper tube inside a male nipple that screwed in from the outside. My ball valve then screwed onto this male fitting. Strange looking, but it works.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:55:25 pm »
I had this same problem. I assume that you have female, half couplings welded to your kettle.

I ended up making my own fitting by brazing a copper tube inside a male nipple that screwed in from the outside. My ball valve then screwed onto this male fitting. Strange looking, but it works.
Pics of this would help :)

I'll take some pics of mine and post them later, I'm not with my kettle right now. ;)

Teflon tape could work, but I'd have to replace it don't you think?  I plan to remove the pickup tube for cleaning the kettle.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:04:01 pm »
Short silicone hose inserted, rather than copper?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:39 pm »

, I'm not with my kettle right now. ;)

shame when a boy and his kettle are apart ::)

is it possible to get a tap and tap threads in to the inside of the valve fitting from inside the kettle?  this would enable you to put a threaded connection into the valve from the inside wrapped in teflon.  then you could put your copper pick up etc on to just about any fitting you would want.
Don AHA member

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »

I think I can see how that would work.  Don't you lose a lot of space in the connector?  Seems like this would drop 1/2" port down to 3/8" or 1/4" pretty quickly.

The idea about running a tap all the way through the coupling seems like a good one.  Assuming there is enough sidewall to support threads both internal and external.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 01:28:19 pm »
Tom replacing the tape would be easy- probably just a couple turns and the bonus is that it is reversible. You are not altering the equipment at all.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 02:25:47 pm »

I think I can see how that would work.  Don't you lose a lot of space in the connector?  Seems like this would drop 1/2" port down to 3/8" or 1/4" pretty quickly.

The idea about running a tap all the way through the coupling seems like a good one.  Assuming there is enough sidewall to support threads both internal and external.

Paul

I have a 1" female half coupler welded to my kettle, and since my ball valve is 1/2" ( don't ask) I have a lot of room to spare. A picture of it installed would not tell you anything and sorry, but  I'm not disassembling it.

If I ever build another kettle, it will have full couplers in stalled rather than half ones, for this very reason. I'm really surprised that of all the reading I did before I built mine, no one ever addressed this problem. Not to mention that half couplers are much harder to find.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 03:07:02 pm »
I had a similar fitting on one of my kettles and I tapped it out, added a close nipple, and was able to screw on a pickup tube using a compression fitting.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 10:27:49 pm »
Here's the pic.  It's a 3/8" valve welded in place.

Tapping it out would clearly be the "best" solution, but I'm not sure it's necessary for what I want.  I'll probably waste some money trying some other ideas first. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 05:36:33 am »
I don't know why you want one. It's very low and on one side. I've never seen it done like that, but I like it.

If that's 3/8 pipe, then what I did won't work. There's not enough internal diameter to work with.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:48:46 am by bo »