Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: KitchenAid 575W Mixer  (Read 5359 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
KitchenAid 575W Mixer
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:58:07 am »
Heads up all you foodies.  Costco has the 575W KitchenAid mixer on sale for $50 off for the next three weeks.

A very good price on an awesome piece of machinery!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: KitchenAid 575W Mixer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 12:00:57 pm »
Look for an old used one. The new ones are made in China and I've not heard many good things about them. I do know that their had mixers are made there and they suck. Complaints are all over the web.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 12:13:15 pm »
I saw them at costco last night and thought it was a great price.  I bought mine from Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon and gift cards for a bit more.  I've had it for a few years now and have had no problems.

There is some info in the comments on amazon http://amzn.to/rVbGhK about which ones have plastic parts.

I'd highly recommend the mixer regardless.  I used to have one of the smaller 4 (?) quart models and I'd frequently max it out making double batches of bread.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 12:25:35 pm »
I couldn't wait so bought this very one on Monday. A jet-black Professional 600 series. Used the 20% off coupon and I'm also supposed to receive a $50 rebate bringing it to $295 after sales tax! Couldn't find this model (new) for that cheap on the web.

Only used it once to make a boule but I am already impressed. Worked like a champ and the clean up was simple. The ease of clean up was a major factor for me because doing dough in the food-processor is a cruel joke. I see this now.

I would have thought the mixer would be too big but no- my choice was right. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 01:56:37 pm »
I love my KA. I have had mine for nearly 10 years now with out a problem (knock on wood) except that the knob for the PTO cover broke a couple of weeks ago. I sometimes wish I had the bowl lift version instead of the swinging head version but I am not complaining.

LOVE IT!

attachements to date:

1) pasta roller kit
2) ice cream maker kit
3) shredder kit
4) pasta extruder kit (which I don't use much as the roller is really easy but which is also the base kit for the food grinder/sausage maker)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:26:52 pm »
KitchenAid mixers are bulletproof.  They are built by Hobart and hand assembled in Greenville, Ohio.

The 575W model has a 5.5 quart bowl.  It will power through a double batch of bread with no problems.  They also rock at making sausage.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 02:58:18 pm »
KitchenAid mixers are bulletproof.  They are built by Hobart and hand assembled in Greenville, Ohio.

The 575W model has a 5.5 quart bowl.  It will power through a double batch of bread with no problems.  They also rock at making sausage.

Some of KitchenAid products are still made in Ohio, but a lot of the gears are now plastic. A lot of their other products are made in China.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 03:09:32 pm »

okay forget the bowl lift KA what I REALLY want is a hobart floor mixer. I just can't think of any reason why I would actually need it. :-\
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:00:54 pm »
Some of KitchenAid products are still made in Ohio, but a lot of the gears are now plastic. A lot of their other products are made in China.

Do you work for Hamilton Beach, or what?

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 04:19:52 pm »

Do you work for Hamilton Beach, or what?

No. Read the reviews. People will repair the old ones, but trash the new ones. We had a hand mixer that worked about 5 times, but it was over a years period. Had a blender that didn't seal around the shaft and it froze within a couple of years. In both case I contacted customer service and nothing. Oh, in the case of the hand mixer, they offered one at a discount. I could buy it from Amazon for $5 cheaper. We bought the other 2 items, because the old stand mixer was built so well.  What a difference a few years can make.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 04:40:27 pm »
There was a statement by KA that all the gears are steel now. Evidently the move to plastic gears was a mistake. I would not have bought it if they had been plastic.

BTW the 600 has a 6 or 6.5 qt bowl and it is the bowl lift style. It is a miniature of the gigantic Hobart at my old job. That badboy could mix up just about anything. Thirty pounds of compound butter? No problem. Mashed potatoes or pizza dough? All the same to the Hobart.

The icecream maker attachment will probably be the first addition to my Kitchen Aid stable. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 04:43:50 pm »
KitchenAid hand mixers and blenders are not on sale at Costco.  

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 05:02:05 pm »

Is that 'not' supposed to be 'now' ?
Joe

Offline punatic

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 05:18:46 pm »

Is that 'not' supposed to be 'now' ?

You have 575W hands?

AHA Life Member #33907

jaybeerman

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:40:52 pm »

buy it, use the bejees out of it, recycle it, buy another and another and still be way ahead.  i think they're a best buy for now