Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home brewing in Canada  (Read 3103 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Home brewing in Canada
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:05:05 am »
A couple weekends ago, my SO and I took the bike up into Canada.  Hope and princeton BC.  Beautiful country for sure.  Anyway, went to a liquor stor in Princeton, and was shocked.  No good beer.  And a 6-pack of MGD was more than $14.  YIKES!

As we were walking down to a pub, we noticed a U-Brew place and stopped in.  There must have been over 100 carboys on the shelfs fermenting away.  In talking to an employee, U-brew is quite popular because of the cost savings.  They actually had a little machine to put the beer in cans.  It was rather cool. 

Anyway, we get down to the "brown Bridge Pub."  I ask for a an IPA.  And the bartender says "what's that?"  Very sad day.   

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Home brewing in Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 10:07:11 am »
I ask for a an IPA.  And the bartender says "what's that?"  Very sad day.   

:o   :'(
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:34:30 am »
Maybe he was hard of hearing and thought you asked for something else. That's absurd.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:36:23 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:57:34 am »
I wen into a local pub near me and asked what beer they had and the waitress said "all of them".  Well I started naming off some choice beers to drink and kept getting didn't have that.  So I asked what "Craft" beer they had and she said they never "Heard" of them.

It isn't just Canada
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 11:03:20 am »
It isn't just Canada

I'll buy that.

I think it depends on the type of pub one is referring to.
Ron Price

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 11:06:30 am »
I wen into a local pub near me and asked what beer they had and the waitress said "all of them".  Well I started naming off some choice beers to drink and kept getting didn't have that.  So I asked what "Craft" beer they had and she said they never "Heard" of them.

It isn't just Canada

Well, I guess I should be happy I live int he Northwest.  Great beer culture here, and more and more places are refusing the BMC beers, and only pouring craft beers.  (Of course one did think that Blue Moon was a craft beer, go figure)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 12:43:43 pm »

It isn't just Canada

Like the bar that says "We've got both kinds of music....country AND western!".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:48:54 pm »
Well, I guess I should be happy I live int he Northwest.  Great beer culture here, and more and more places are refusing the BMC beers, and only pouring craft beers.  (Of course one did think that Blue Moon was a craft beer, go figure)
Isn't a CRAFT beer any beer a BMC drinker says they don't like?
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline rathjoel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 01:04:51 pm »
As a homebrewer in Canada, I can tell you that there is a craft-beer scene, and it is growing, but it is definitely well behind that of the States.  For me, the lack of options up here is one of the reasons I got into the hobby and I think that helps drive the homebrew scene too.

You touched on the other drawback to the Canadian craft beer scene as well, which is the price.  Even local craft brewed beer is $7 a pint or more, and imports are even more money (how does $18 for a bomber of Stone Ruination sound?)

I was recently down in Portland, and almost spit out my beer when I overhead somebody say "it's so expensive here - I'm not paying $5 for a pint!".

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »

It isn't just Canada

The taxes on alcohlic beverages in Canada are why they cost so much there.

I went into a bar in Orlando a while back and asked what beers they had on tap.  The waitress replied, "We have them all, Bud, Bud Light, Michelob, Michelob Light!"
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 02:02:33 pm »
my uncle went fishing up in canada. when he got to the border he had a bunch of beer in his car. the border guard asked him why he was bringing beer in to canada.  he said because "i hate your f----ng beer"  they didn't appreciate that and he decided to come back home. ::)
Don AHA member

ccarlson

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 09:20:49 pm »
Isn't a CRAFT beer any beer a BMC drinker says they don't like?

In a weird way, I agree with that.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 11:01:21 am »
There are a lot of good craft breweries and craft beer in Canada but I will admit, they are harder to find.  A lot of it has to do with the taxation rates as some have mentioned already as well as distribution access in some provinces (I can only speak for Ontario but here you have to get beer through the LCBO or Brewer's Retail.  One is a government run monopoly, the other is a brewery run monopoly and craft brewers have to pay stocking fees to get their beer on the shelves).  Also, Canadian beer in general (and I may be out of line here but this has been my experience) falls into either German influenced beers like the light lagers we all know so well (note I said "influenced" not similar), and English influenced beers such as pale ales and bitters.  Canadian beer in general has not developed the level of hop assertiveness that you find in the US. 

Here in Ontario, you can get great lagers like Steamwhistle, Creemore Springs etc or great craft ales like Cameron's Auburn Ale, Muskoka Cream Ale etc but you aren't as likely to find the dominant hop flavours not the alcohol content.  The one that may be close would be Hoptical Illusion from Flying Monkey's craft brewery.  But, you're not likely to find something like Stone Ruination brewed here in Canada today.  If you do find someone serving an IPA, chances are it will be a British style IPA, not an AIPA.

I always feel bad when comments like this come up because there are awesome craft beers and fantastic bars that serve them but not all of them do.  I can assure you, it's the same in parts of the US.  I really doubt I'd find Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or similar beers in a lot of the little dive bars that I go to when I'm in South Dakota.  Just not popular enough with the masses in the area to warrant carrying them.  It's no different here.  The Mrs and I are going for supper tonight and we will be going to a bar that carries a great selection of craft beer, not one that just serves BMC.  It's here but unfortunately, you gotta look a bit to find it.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 12:14:24 pm »
It's strange to hear this about different parts of the country because, even in the central valley in California, if you head into a "migrant worker" bar where everyone is speaking Spanish and mariachi music is playing, they will usually have Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and maybe Boont Amber or Red Tail on tap.

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 12:17:53 pm »
Hey gmac,

I've got a business trip coming up in a couple of weeks that will bring me to London, ON.  If I have the opportunity, where would you recommend we dine if we want to experience some good local beer?  I'll be staying down around Richmond and Oxford streets.