Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: for bottle brewers...and any brewers...oxyclean!  (Read 14609 times)

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: for bottle brewers...and any brewers...oxyclean!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 12:49:27 pm »
kegging made my bottling process easier...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 07:45:47 pm »
Don't leave them in the oxyclean too long.  A scale builds up on things that soak too long.

Like Denny said, it totally depends on your water.  I had horrific scale/film develop on my bottles and the inside of my 5 gallon corny when I left oxyclean in there for days (maybe even weeks).  I have water with high alkalinity and high bicarbonate and sulfate levels.  Perhaps, that won't occur if your water alkalinity is much lower. 
A water expert might be able to explain why.  I just know that I won't be doing it again--removing the film and scale requires mechanical scrubbing--it does not come off the inside of a SS corny keg easily.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 07:58:58 pm »
Don't leave them in the oxyclean too long.  A scale builds up on things that soak too long.

Like Denny said, it totally depends on your water.  I had horrific scale/film develop on my bottles and the inside of my 5 gallon corny when I left oxyclean in there for days (maybe even weeks).  I have water with high alkalinity and high bicarbonate and sulfate levels.  Perhaps, that won't occur if your water alkalinity is much lower. 
A water expert might be able to explain why.  I just know that I won't be doing it again--removing the film and scale requires mechanical scrubbing--it does not come off the inside of a SS corny keg easily.

This is my experience with my highly alkaline water.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 08:29:34 pm »
I just know that I won't be doing it again--removing the film and scale requires mechanical scrubbing--it does not come off the inside of a SS corny keg easily.

Next time try soaking the film and scale away with a vinegar and water solution.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline alan_marks59

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 11:48:29 am »
StarSan works for me to remove any scale buildup from soaking in oxyclean, the acid dissoves any buildup.

Alan

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:09 am »
^^^+1.  The combination of soaking in PBW (or Oxiclean free) followed by a Starsan soak works very well for a lot of the things we soak.  Left a beer glass sitting half-full and it has a 'ring'...PBW followed by Starsan (mainly the Starsan).  Carboy has a ring from Oxiclean/PBW...use Starsan.  Brown-ish film on bottom of your kettle?...PBW followed by Starsan and it's bright shiny new stainless again.  Just don't soak plastic tubing too long (mainly in Starsan) or it will get tacky.

I never throw away PBW or Starsan solutions after one use (Starsan gets used for weeks), there's always something that will need a soak soon enough.

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 02:00:53 am »
i knew i probably wasn't the first to try this, just got excited to discover it worked.  i'm actually surprised i hadn't though of it sooner.  way better than sticking my hands in ammonia.
"Eureka moments" are awesome as I am learning brewing.  Sometimes the simpler the realization the better, since they usually help your process immensely.  Plus, even if others have realized it, the fact that you didn't realize it for a while means others of us also haven't.  So, all information shared is appreciated.  :)
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 06:31:34 am »
Oxyclean, cut one-third with TSP substitute, is what I use to clean all my brewing equipment. Not quite as effective as PBW, but at a fraction of the cost, it's close enough.

This is exactly what I do. Works great.

ccarlson

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 06:40:32 am »
I always used 50:50 Oxiclean and TSP. I take it 70:30 works well?

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 06:52:09 am »
Supposedly (and I can't remember my source for this info, so take it with a grain of salt), the 2:1 Oxyclean/TSP substitute ratio mirrors PBW's composition pretty closely. In addition, the Oxyclean containers I buy are about twice the size of the TSP containers, so this ratio works perfectly for mixing. I'm very satisfied with the results.
Mark Gres

ccarlson

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 07:43:18 am »
Supposedly (and I can't remember my source for this info, so take it with a grain of salt), the 2:1 Oxyclean/TSP substitute ratio mirrors PBW's composition pretty closely. In addition, the Oxyclean containers I buy are about twice the size of the TSP containers, so this ratio works perfectly for mixing. I'm very satisfied with the results.

I'll give that a try next time. TSP isn't cheap.

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 08:51:38 am »
OK, dumb question...

What is TSP??

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 09:08:34 am »
OK, dumb question...

What is TSP??

Trisodium Phosphate ( or teaspoon or Thrift Savings Plan :) )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 10:08:09 am »
Make sure you use the TSP Substitute. The only place I have found it is Lowes. And, yes, the 2:1 ration oxyclean/TSP sub is what I have heard is the right ratio. As was mentioned, TSP sub ain't cheap.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 10:35:45 am »
Make sure you use the TSP Substitute. The only place I have found it is Lowes. And, yes, the 2:1 ration oxyclean/TSP sub is what I have heard is the right ratio. As was mentioned, TSP sub ain't cheap.

This is good info Keith...I'll keep this in mind for the future as PBW is fairly expensive these days.
Ron Price