Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fleas  (Read 4882 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Fleas
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:42:47 pm »
Every summer, my dog gets fleas.  Neither Advantage nor Frontline seem to be doing much - unless they're just preventing an even worse situation from occurring.

Do you all just resign yourselves to your dogs having fleas during the summer, or is there some magic cure I'm not aware of?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Fleas
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:21:40 pm »
My dogs never get fleas now that I don't live in the city anymore. ticks, OTOH, are a problem.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:31:14 pm »
Advantage works great for both our dogs and our cats. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:56:12 pm »
Frontline works for our dog, no problems with either fleas or ticks.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:05:56 pm »
Some fleas have built up a resistance to both. The Banter vets, who are somehow associated with petsmart have some stuff that works in those cases. Just remember they sell it but petsmart does not.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:08:21 pm by dbeechum »
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

jaybeerman

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:06:41 pm »
Our dogs haven't had fleas, but have you tried neem oil shampoo?  Do a google search and you might find some info

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 03:29:23 pm »
We use this: Cedarcide
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »
  The lovely and talented Ms. Tubercle, who makes her spending money as a vet tech, said to tell everyone that the best treatment is with a capstar tablet, which will kill the fleas on the animal in ~30 minutes, and then treat with frontline on a regular schedule.

http://www.medi-vet.com/Capstar.html

My grandpa rubbed his rabbit dogs down with used motor oil but I can't really reccommend that ::)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 05:23:25 pm »
Do they play bass?  You could just ask them to crank it up.

Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 05:53:16 pm »
Every summer, my dog gets fleas.  Neither Advantage nor Frontline seem to be doing much - unless they're just preventing an even worse situation from occurring.

Do you all just resign yourselves to your dogs having fleas during the summer, or is there some magic cure I'm not aware of?

We had Fleabusters come treat our house (carpets and the dogs bed), and that was the end of the problem for us.  I think it cost a little over $100, but this was 20 years ago.  Different house now, and different dog, who thankfully hasn't had fleas.
John Childs

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:02 pm »
  The lovely and talented Ms. Tubercle, who makes her spending money as a vet tech, said to tell everyone that the best treatment is with a capstar tablet, which will kill the fleas on the animal in ~30 minutes, and then treat with frontline on a regular schedule.

http://www.medi-vet.com/Capstar.html

Neonicotinoids are suspected to contribute to colony collapse disorder in bees, and their use has been suspended in several European countries.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 07:42:25 pm »
I use advantix for the dogs and Frontline for the felines. Have not had a single flea in over a decade.

Although there is one flea, slappin' from time to time in the house, and that's the flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gs2o5T7oN8
Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 07:47:07 pm »
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/191907.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide_toxicity_to_bees

While that may be true for neonicotinoids used in agricultural settings (e.g., as a foliar spray), given its stability, method of application (how can bees not come into contact with it?), and tendency to runoff into water supply, etc., I think the use of a small amount in pill form (i.e., Capstar) for the occasional pet with fleas has a lot less potential to harm unintended insects.

ccarlson

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 08:14:09 pm »
I find it interesting that many of the people advocating organic gardening in other threads, are the same ones saying that they put topical flea treatments on their pets which can cause liver damage.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:57 pm »
I find it interesting that many of the people advocating organic gardening in other threads, are the same ones saying that they put topical flea treatments on their pets which can cause liver damage.

You don't eat your pets  ::)

I find it interesting that the strong Gordon posted up an early pic of Flea. ;D

My dogs itch occasionally, and my wife snaps one up from time to time, but we don't worry over it too much.