Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Curry Powder?  (Read 3956 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Curry Powder?
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:38:15 am »
I really like curry. Just about any be it green, red or yeller. But I'm out of pre-prepared Madras curry powder and want to try my hand with the spice grinder.

Ideas?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Curry Powder?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »
If I remember correctly basic is

Cumin
Coriander (when are these two spices NOT good?)
Fenugreek (maybe)
Tumeric
Chilis (Cayenne)
Cardomom
mustard seed.

all but the tumeric can easily be ground up in your spice mill. dried tumeric is a little tough on grinders I beleive
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »
this is a little more work but it's the only way, thank me later  :)  cheers, j

http://importfood.com/videos/CurryPaste8a.html

<edit> sorry this doesn't relate to madras directly but rather to the best way of starting a curry
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:42:51 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:28:42 pm »
looks like Madras adds some cloves or allspice, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper etc.. kind of like garam masalla
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 02:53:11 pm »
Curry powder isn't really traditionally Indian.  My guess is it became popular to package "curry spice blends" for transport to the UK and beyond, so we're used to a "curry powder" concept.  But the spices that make up the curry powders are used all the time, you just make up the spices when you cook.

I usually make a blend of the following for dal or chicken curries, but it really does vary every time:

Cumin/jeera (lots of it)
Fennel/saunf
Fenugreek/methi (seeds, not leaves)
Coriander seed
Red chili pepper
Black pepper
Turmeric
Salt
Black mustard seeds
Occasionally I'll add Kalonji/nigella seed or black cardamom (the latter in modest quantities).

I used to frequently buy the Madras brand curry powder, and if memory serves, one key component, at least to my nose, was fenugreek seed.  But the easiest way is to hit up an Indian market and get nice big bags of all of the above (for what will be quite low prices) and then dedicate a coffee grinder as a spice mill.  Then just make up a bit at a time whenever you need it.

Also "curry" is a term used all over the Middle East, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean that can denote any number of types of dishes, typically a well-spiced stew.  It's a very generic term, so there's no standard curry. 

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:02:02 pm »
My mistake, I was thinking of "Sun" brand, not "Madras" brand.  Madras style curry sounds rather tasty right now.  They do love their chilies in the south of India!   ;D

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:02:51 pm »
Thanks! There's an Indian market fairly close by. I've been throwing some basic stuff together like cumin, coriander etc and powdering it in the spice-mill. Then a rub on lamb and smoked for 5-6 hours. The fenugreek and fennel is what has been missing in the flavor, which has been more reminiscent of Mexican.

Also really interested in Thai curries. OMG the red coconut is to die for at a place a few minutes from the house.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 06:50:14 pm »
The fenugreek and fennel is what has been missing in the flavor, which has been more reminiscent of Mexican.

Well, and don't forget your non-dry spices...particularly onions, ginger, and garlic (maybe fresh chilies too).  I like to add garam masala (which has the "warm" spices, which is basically how its name translates) towards the end of cooking as well to give it a hint of an almost sweet warmth.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »
My Madras powder looks like this:

1/4 cup coriander seed
2 Tbs brown mustard seed
1 Tbs fenugreek seed
1 Tbs cumin seed
2 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp cardamom seed

Ground and mixed with:
2 Tbs ground turmeric
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon

I do it without red pepper flakes because I prefer to add those to taste as I cook or at the table.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:39:14 pm »
Well, I'm bummed out. I glanced at this thread title, and thought it said "clam chowder".  :(  I love clam chowder.

I hate curry!!  >:(
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 01:51:37 am »
Well, I'm bummed out. I glanced at this thread title, and thought it said "clam chowder".  :(  I love clam chowder.

I hate curry!!  >:(
I'm bummed out too.  I glanced at your comment "I hate curry!!" and thought it said "I eat scurvy!!" which I thought was a really interesting comment.

Hating curry is just an insane comment, much less interesting.   :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:29:00 am »
I kinda dislike clam chowder...chewy bits of yukkiness...might as well be tripe...

To speak to the topic, my wife handles the Indian food recipes. We have more spices in the spice cabinet and spice pullout for that than anything else and trust me, we have a CRAPLOAD of spices!!!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 06:29:05 am »
I kinda dislike clam chowder...chewy bits of yukkiness...might as well be tripe...

Go to Legal Seafoods in Boston and see if you still believe this.  It could be you just don't like crappy chowder.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 02:19:42 pm »
It's a texture thing with clams, not a flavor thing. Don't like tongue for the same reason, texture.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 02:25:43 pm »
It's a texture thing with clams, not a flavor thing. Don't like tongue for the same reason, texture.

Bet you just love slurping raw oysters then, huh?
Joe