Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homemade Soap!  (Read 52520 times)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Re: Homemade Soap!
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2012, 08:24:43 am »
About oils - I stick to vegetable oils, since I don't eat meat and all. The problem is, it's hard to find hydrogenated vegetable oil in these parts that doesn't have anti-foaming agents. So, my soap is a little soft. Oh well.

Crisco doesn"t have anti-foaming agents in it.

Crisco all vegetable oil shortening ingredients:
SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Cool. Wanna send me a tub of Crisco?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2012, 09:00:04 am »
Right. They don't have crisco in Belgium...

Not sure why you'd want hydrogenated fat for soap. People use it but seems like an expensive alternative to vegetable oil. Is there a specific reason to use hydrogenated oil like crisco?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2012, 09:45:34 am »

Not sure why you'd want hydrogenated fat for soap. People use it but seems like an expensive alternative to vegetable oil. Is there a specific reason to use hydrogenated oil like crisco?

@theoman yes they DO have crisco (or at least vegetable shortening) in Belgium. It's usually called 'graisse vegetal frites' or something like that. In my local grocery it's sold next to the cheese.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2012, 10:41:55 am »

Actually, I HAVE seen it, I just don't remember where and it was freakin' expensive. As for why, according to various comments, it seems to make a firmer bar. All I know is it makes a damn good pie crust.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2012, 10:44:34 am »
@theoman yes they DO have crisco (or at least vegetable shortening) in Belgium. It's usually called 'graisse vegetal frites' or something like that. In my local grocery it's sold next to the cheese.
Next to the cheese? Interesting. It's not the stuff for deep fryers, is it? That has anti-foaming agents. I'll have a look...

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2012, 11:51:49 am »

Crisco all vegetable oil shortening ingredients:
SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

What theoman says - it makes a harder bar.

Costco sells a Kirkland equivalent shortening in 50# boxes.  Doughnut Frying Shortening (without antifoam).  Yes, I know that doesn't help you guys on the other side of the Big Pond.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2012, 03:26:29 am »
I have a block in the fridge, I can check when I get home what it's got in it. I use it to make biscuits and pie crusts. Mine comes from Leader Price, which is the suburban equivalent of FranPrix, not sure if you have either of those. Carrefour will probably carry it, refrigerated next to the margarine I think.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2012, 06:07:39 am »
I like Irish Spring. It's very manly.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2012, 04:29:18 pm »
Costco sells a Kirkland equivalent shortening in 50# boxes.  Doughnut Frying Shortening (without antifoam).  Yes, I know that doesn't help you guys on the other side of the Big Pond.
The Costco in Hawaii might, but the Costco in Kirkland doesn't.  I looked today, the closest thing they had was liquid vegetable shortening.  Perhaps doughnut frying is less popular here :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2012, 10:38:01 pm »
Funny ting dat.
Malasadas are da kine here, not doughnuts. 

However, locals are going NUTS over Krispy Kreme.  They setup roadside stands and charge $20/dozen for regular kine Krispy Kreme.  Some kind of fundraiser program for schools and such.

Yes, the Kona Costco sells 50# boxes of Kirkland brand equivalent Crisco all vegetable shortening (solid white stuff).  It makes great soap.  The ingredients list is the same as shown for Crisco in my previous post.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2012, 01:26:29 pm »
So I go out looking for some generic vegetable shortening and I find Crisco (5 euros for a pound - pretty steep). Go figure. Anyway, any suggestions on how I should calculate the lye? Do I just say it's soybean oil in the calculator?

Offline punatic

« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2012, 01:58:29 pm »
If you are using this:
MMS Lye Calculator
then yes, enter the shortening as soybean oil.  That's what I do and it works fine.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2012, 10:28:18 am »
I just did this:
220g Canola (colza, actually, but it's close)
80g Olive oil
150g crisco
140 ml water
58g NaOH
22g ground Cascade pellets

Smells fantastic so far!

Offline punatic

« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2012, 10:45:10 am »
At first I thought you meant those solid Cascade bars of dishwasher soap, and thought WTF?!   ::)

Cool idea!  I'm going to make a batch hops soap today.  I've got some Hallertauer pellets that ought to be just right.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2012, 01:30:51 am »
This is interesting…

I just pulled the soap (see above - basic recipe with cascade hops (not dishwasher detergent)) and the instant it hits the air, it starts turning brown. I mean, you can watch the color change. I did some google work and it seems to be a known issue with soap with vanilla added. The only thing I can imagine is that whatever is in vanilla that causes the browning is also in hops. Fascinating.