Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ disaster  (Read 9523 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: BBQ disaster
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 03:45:38 pm »
I dunno, I laughed my butt, and I know the guy it happend to pretty well.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 06:38:28 pm »
I love how some of the bones weren't just blackened, but almost have this grey-whitish look like they've almost been bleached by too much fire.  Weaz, we've all screwed up food on the grill, myself too many times to count, but you at least have the distinction of having burnt ribs to a level of comedy and then having the good sense to upload a picture of it!   ;D

I'm still not sure how a charcoal bullet smoker could have gotten away from you like that...they can have temperature spikes but dang that thing must have been a kiln for a while!  I do most of my ribs on a plain old Weber kettle now, though I do have a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet.  The kettle is just the tool I have the most familiarity with, it feels like a trusty tool to me by now and I'm rarely surprised by it, which is a good thing!

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 06:56:22 pm »
The subject line made me think back to that epic rib pic you posted on the other forum Weaz!  I've made some bad ribs...no, MANY bad slabs of ribs...but your pic was awesome.  Those ribs looked like they were at at ground zero of the trinity testing site.

That was pretty epic. I just had to repost, for a laugh. And I'll never forget the conversation I had with my buddy about them when we pulled them off.

Me : " I'm really upset. That was my dinner"
Buddy " I'm a black dude from Mississppi. How do you think I feel?!"

I don't care who you are, that's funny right thar!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 07:34:24 pm »
Epic ribs!

I remember that pic from the "other" forum. What comes after burned? Incinerated... :D
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 07:44:56 pm »
  Fired up the bullet smoker (my first time using) Put in about 15 bricks of charcoal. My temp was only 200* or so. I added 5 more bircks. Temp was still low, so I added 5 bricks. Repeat this process, then walk away for an hour. Your smoker tends to hit 250* real fast! Try about 450-500* It was ugly...... :-[

I woulda guessed someone painted them with sauce at the beginning...  and then walked away for 7 hours.  ;D

Some friends of mine and I have been experimenting with cooking on newly emplaced lava.  It is pretty challenging.  We've burned up a lot of food that way, but we're getting the hang of it.  (cooking with 1500F)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 07:52:21 pm »
Some friends of mine and I have been experimenting with cooking on newly emplaced lava.  It is pretty challenging.  We've burned up a lot of food that way, but we're getting the hang of it.  (cooking with 1500F)

I imagine we'll see some pics of that soon?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline punatic

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 07:58:29 pm »
I gotta set up a photo hosting account I can hot link to somewhere.

You can see some of my lava photos here:

Lava's a Many Splendored Thing

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 09:59:01 pm »
Sad thing is, I bet he'll never burn a rack of ribs on lava, as bad as I did on a bullet. Looking at that pic, and a few of the comments made, I am seriously LMFAO! It sucks being stupid sometimes, but damn is it a fun ride!!  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

narvin

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 10:02:07 pm »
Damn.  I looked at this on my phone earlier and they didn't look all that bad.  Now on a real screen I feel like I'm checking out a corpse.

How do you like your ribs?  Cremated!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:03:48 pm by narvin »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 11:09:05 pm »
I gotta set up a photo hosting account I can hot link to somewhere.

Picasa on google. It's free and works fantabulously.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 12:36:48 am »
I dunno, I laughed my butt, and I know the guy it happend to pretty well.  ;D

I don't think I've ever laughed that hard on the train before. People were staring.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 10:36:53 am »
Smoking and grilling is an area I have little expertise in.  I would avoid attempting to smoke a pig; leave that to the experts.

I have a friend that is a masterchef in his own kitchen, despite no formal training.  I might buy him a cast iron grill in exchange for grilling instruction, since he's dirt poor.  He grills whole turkeys for thanksgiving and they come out good.  Hell, he grills pizza?!

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L410-Pre-Seasoned-Sportsmans-Charcoal/dp/B00022OK2A/

I have no clue wtf these are but I want some.

Burgers and baked beans, mmm.

I would love to be as proficient grilling as I am with sushi.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 12:49:38 pm »
Smoking and grilling is an area I have little expertise in.  I would avoid attempting to smoke a pig; leave that to the experts.

I have a friend that is a masterchef in his own kitchen, despite no formal training.  I might buy him a cast iron grill in exchange for grilling instruction, since he's dirt poor.  He grills whole turkeys for thanksgiving and they come out good.  Hell, he grills pizza?!

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L410-Pre-Seasoned-Sportsmans-Charcoal/dp/B00022OK2A/

I have no clue wtf these are but I want some.

Burgers and baked beans, mmm.

I would love to be as proficient grilling as I am with sushi.

Nice pics!

Start your BBQ education here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php

http://www.primalgrill.org/index.asp
Ron Price

Offline punatic

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 02:01:24 pm »
One summer I decide I was going to learn how to barbeque, so I cooked on my grill every night for several months..  I ate a lot of raw food, burnt food, burned on the outside - raw on the inside food.  But, by the end of the summer I had gotten pretty good at it.  So much so that I cooked a turkey for ten on the grill forThanksgiving that year.

I was young and single back then so I was the only one who had to eat the boo boos.

There was no interweb or FoodTV back then so I had no help on that front.  I did have a good time getting it all figured out though.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 02:07:06 pm »
One summer I decide I was going to learn how to barbeque, so I cooked on my grill every night for several months..  I ate a lot of raw food, burnt food, burned on the outside - raw on the inside food.  But, by the end of the summer I had gotten pretty good at it.  So much so that I cooked a turkey for ten on the grill forThanksgiving that year.

I was young and single back then so I was the only one who had to eat the boo boos.

There was no interweb or FoodTV back then so I had no help on that front.  I did have a good time getting it all figured out though.

And that truly is how we learn... Even with the "Interwebs" & "FoodTV" it still takes hands-on experience to do this Cookin' & Brewin' thing we do. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!