Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quest for the perfect hush puppie  (Read 9177 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Quest for the perfect hush puppie
« on: May 09, 2011, 06:52:48 pm »
  I've been playing with different batters for hush puppies. I have the flavor I want, but can't get the texture right. Right now, I'm using 1/2 cup cornmeal and 1/4 cup flour, and a teaspoon of baking powder. They are coming out to airy, and the cornmeal it almost gritty, a little on the dry side, also. I want a nice dense puppy, with some moisture in it. I'm frying them at 375*, just until they brown. Thoughts?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Quest for the perfect hush puppie
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 06:57:41 pm »
Right now, I'm using 1/2 cup cornmeal and 1/4 cup flour, and a teaspoon of baking powder.

Maybe try adding some milk or water  ;)

In all seriousness though...I've never made them but what about an egg or two in the batter?

Maybe try using a finer ground cornmeal as well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:04:13 pm by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »
Check out Paula Deen's recipe on food network.  Calls for egg and buttermilk and baking soda not powder.  The buttermilk and baking soda will react to give lift.  I'd think the egg and buttermilk will give it the moisture you're missing.  You can use baking powder along with milk instead.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:24:58 pm »
Oh yes, I should mention, I also used milk (1/4 cup IIRC) and an egg. Also, onion powder, galrlic salt, and garlic powder. I'll check out Paula's. if anyone should know how to do hush puppy, it's her.  ;D

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:03:28 pm »
Don't know if it would work but I like to include some whole kernal corn in my corn bread. either fresh off the cob or frozen is fine. Also giving them a little time for the cornmeal to hydrate helps with the graininess
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:55:26 am »
I haven't made hush puppies in years but do you guys think adding an extra egg yolk or two might help with the texture/density?

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:09:27 am »
Also, like any dough, a good bench rest will really make a difference - let the dough sit around for a few hours before you do anything with it to allow the flour to soak up all the moisture it can.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:29:51 pm »
Great Idea Phil. That actully never occured to me. Think I will go whip up some dough right now, then fry the little suckers tonight. Thanks! Just might get the results I'm after, then.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 07:31:49 am »
Great Idea Phil. That actully never occured to me. Think I will go whip up some dough right now, then fry the little suckers tonight. Thanks! Just might get the results I'm after, then.

How'd it go? I always add kernel corn to my hush puppies too. Don't forget to fry them in the same oil you used for frying catfish. Or at least that's how we did it back home.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 06:31:49 pm »
I actually have not had time to do it yet. Masybe this weekend. I'll be sure and let you know when I do.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 08:02:03 pm »
Also, like any dough, a good bench rest will really make a difference - let the dough sit around for a few hours before you do anything with it to allow the flour to soak up all the moisture it can.

This sounds like a logical approach, but will it work with the chemical leavening agent? My concern would be that an extended rest would exhaust the baking soda unless you use a slow acting or double acting powder.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 11:48:20 am »

This sounds like a logical approach, but will it work with the chemical leavening agent? My concern would be that an extended rest would exhaust the baking soda unless you use a slow acting or double acting powder.

a doubleacting powder is a must if your going to rest it. I think of corn bread/hushpuppies as more of a batter than a dough. but giving them a little bit to rest and hydrate is good. When I am doing cornbread I put the cast iron pan in the oven at 500 or whatever the oven can manage with a lump of shortening and then mix my wet and dry igredients and let them sit until the fat is smoking.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 09:35:42 am »
The suggestion about an egg is good, might modify the flavor though.  An egg white might work out better than the whole egg but eh.  Play with it.

Too airy and all that baking powder?  Cut the baking powder out and they come out too dense I bet.  Try for something in the middle...

Also, if you use JUST egg whites, whip them until they're fluffy and airy before adding and it'll change the texture.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 10:04:50 am »
Leave out the baking powder, used self-rising corn meal.

Add a tablespoon of oil (or bacon grease) or butter.

Add 1 egg.

Mix the wet ingredients (buttermilk/oil/egg) well before mixing with the dry.

Let the batter sit for about 30 minutes to soften the meal to take the "grittiness" away. Add a little more liquid before cooking to get the batter consistency right if necessary.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 10:20:08 am »
Add a tablespoon of oil (or bacon grease) or butter.

Add 1 egg.

Mix the wet ingredients (buttermilk/oil/egg) well before mixing with the dry.

Let the batter sit for about 30 minutes to soften the meal to take the "grittiness" away. Add a little more liquid before cooking to get the batter consistency right if necessary.

This is good. :)

Also bacon grease?  I keep a lot of lard around... a mixture of lard and butter is good for pie crusts, don't know how that'll work for these things.  Lard has a certain mouth feel to it.  It's also healthier than butter...