Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rotisserie?  (Read 10095 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Rotisserie?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 05:55:12 am »
Pork loin is a great choice; that's what I would have recommended.  The cut of meat looks like it was designed for a rotisserie.  Maybe I'll do one of those.  I just wish I could get the kind of pork I got as a kid, before they had bred it to taste like chicken.

Alton Brown did an interesting episode on making gyros (I think) on the rotisserie.  Have to look that one up.

If you do the roast pork, think about making a fruit-based sauce to accompany it.  It really goes well with apples, onions, darker fruit (prunes), etc.  I got a bunch of rhubarb in the CSA box this week; I was thinking about making a rhubarb chutney.  It would go perfectly with pork loin.  Maybe I just like the word chutney.  Almost as much as spatchcock.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 05:56:03 am »
I remember a Raichlen show for German Spiessbraten, a stuffed pork loin.  It looked awesome.  He said it was traditional to spit it perpendicular to the rotisserie.  I don't see that in this recipe, but I would have bet he said it on the show.
http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=160&EpisodeID=38

Great recipe and show. Steve is a BBQ genius.  :)

Woah holy crap! I've never seen this guy before, I just watched some videos, these are AWESOME!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 05:59:13 am »
I remember a Raichlen show for German Spiessbraten, a stuffed pork loin.  It looked awesome.  He said it was traditional to spit it perpendicular to the rotisserie.  I don't see that in this recipe, but I would have bet he said it on the show.

Woah holy crap! I've never seen this guy before, I just watched some videos, these are AWESOME!

Dude, where have you been?  (I know, in France, in a kilt)  He's like everywhere.  Almost as bad as Bobby Flay.  Especially as it gets to grilling season.  You can't mention barbecue without him popping up.  Fortunately, he knows what he's talking about.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 06:05:24 am »

Dude, where have you been?  (I know, in France, in a kilt)  He's like everywhere.  Almost as bad as Bobby Flay.  Especially as it gets to grilling season.  You can't mention barbecue without him popping up.  Fortunately, he knows what he's talking about.

Yeah - only PBS I can get out here is from video.pbs.org through a proxy. I REALLY miss This Old House. Although this guy doesn't seem quite as good as Alton Brown
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 07:11:04 am »
If you do the roast pork, think about making a fruit-based sauce to accompany it.  It really goes well with apples, onions, darker fruit (prunes), etc.  I got a bunch of rhubarb in the CSA box this week; I was thinking about making a rhubarb chutney.  It would go perfectly with pork loin.  Maybe I just like the word chutney.  Almost as much as spatchcock.

I'm right with you - I was thinking of making two - one with perhaps apricot or apples and then I have a recipe from a Giada book for a fig port reduction sauce that is incredible.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline blatz

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 07:12:24 am »

that's probably a different piece of equipment than I have - mine only goes paralell - but I'm pretty happy with trying out what I got - if I remember, I will try and take a picture or 2.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 07:35:18 am »
Butterflying the boneless-loin is a nice idea if one is willing to tie it back up again. Which I am. ;) SR does not state how to spit the meat. For most rotisseries the spit will have to go the length of the meat not perpendicular to it.

The fruit sauce was weighing on my mind- how about a sweet apple jalapeño jelly?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blatz

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 07:55:58 am »
sweet apple jalapeño jelly?

recipe?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 08:37:34 am »

recipe?

I was thinking store-bought but this looks like a good recipe: Apple Pepper Jelly.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 08:41:39 am »
I have a recipe from a Giada book for a fig port reduction sauce that is incredible.

You've made it?  Can you post it?  It sounds delicious.

Offline blatz

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 08:48:50 am »
I have a recipe from a Giada book for a fig port reduction sauce that is incredible.

You've made it?  Can you post it?  It sounds delicious.

sure - I've made it for pork loin roasts before and its unbelievable - everyone who's had it has asked for the recipe - this looks like its the same one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pork-loin-with-fig-and-port-sauce-recipe/index.html

Cheers!

Offline blatz

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53:01 am »

recipe?

I was thinking store-bought but this looks like a good recipe: Apple Pepper Jelly.

if i have time to make it on Sat, i might try that - otherwise, storebought it is! thanks.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 12:36:03 pm »
Although this guy doesn't seem quite as good as Alton Brown
I really hope Steve's not reading this when I say he's kind of boring on his show.  His voice drones a bit.  But the recipes are consistently awesome, I did the grilled onions last weekend and they were beautiful.

I can handle a bit of droning, it's better than a certain person whose name rhymes Crachel Cray who may have good recipes but I'll never know because she is super annoying and I can't watch.

SR does not state how to spit the meat. For most rotisseries the spit will have to go the length of the meat not perpendicular to it.
That's why it stuck in my head, it was such an unexpected way to spit it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 09:45:30 am »
well, went with the simple preparation - 18-20 cloves inserted into a 5.5lb pork roast, bone in, salt & pepper, fresh rosemary.  on the rotisserie for about 90-105min.  rested for 15. internal temp at about 165-170.

served with the above fig/port reduction, roasted sweet potato/onion/garlic mash, swiss chard and salad.  glass of lindemann's Pomme and then a few bohemian pils.

un. freaking. believable.

a few chops left over for dinner - drooling already!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 09:58:10 am »
Pictures or it didn't happen.   ;)   Bone-in was interesting choice; it can be harder to get it cooked properly.  Extra points awarded for skill.

How did you prepare the Swiss chard?  It's one of my new favorite vegetables (thank you, CSA).