Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making pickles  (Read 7088 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Making pickles
« on: May 01, 2011, 03:29:16 pm »
Anybody make pickles?

These are refrigerator pickles, not the fermented variety, but they are still really tasty. I like to add enough cayenne pepper to give them a good kick.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Making pickles
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:49:55 pm »
Every year. Cucumber (sweet & dill), squash, Okra, & chow chow.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:17:40 pm »
I'm growing cucumbers right now.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

ccarlson

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 06:34:16 pm »
Still too cool to grow them, but I pickle okra with some dill, garlic and jalapeños. I also do it in the fridge, rather than a full canning process. Okra tends to get mushing if canned with much heat.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:23:55 pm by ccarlson »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 06:38:43 pm »
I am getting ready to plant a whole slew of cukes next weekend. Pickles are one of my specialties. I like barrel curing them but I also have an old Polish pickle recipe handed down to me by my polish granmother. Suffice it to say that I'm a pickle fanatic.  :)
Ron Price

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:08:51 pm »
How about a quick rundown on the process and a few simple recipes for those of us that would like to try making pickles?  I'd like to try it but I've never seen how its done and never looked it up online before... I don't want to start another hobby but making a small batch of pickles sounds good... maybe a 5 gallon bucket size batch?   :-\

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »
I've never made fermented pickles, but I've done them in brine and I've made refrigerator pickles a few times.  Great stuff :)

No recipes handy though, they're in the other room and I'm feeling lazy.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:15:13 am »
Pickled Jalapenos~  yummo.

Put on nitrile gloves before processing.
Remove seeds from peppers
I usually mix some Mild Bell slices into the jars as well.
Pack loosely in Wide mouth canning Jars

Make a vinegar/water/sugar/salt brine add some
whole clove...peppercorns to each jar

Heat your brine mixture and pour into each
Canning Jar to the shoulder (1/2 inch headspace)
completely cover your prepared peppers with liquid.

Affix the canning jar lids and rings load into your
pressure canner and process per USDA directions for
your altitude.

enjoy

Funny Story about canning Jalapenos follows....
1st time I ever did this, I did NOT wear gloves but I did wear
contact lenses.  I got finished prepping the peppas…and my hands
LIT up on fire…then my contacts needed to be removed for bedtime.

right, like I was gonna put those pepper laden burning fingers into
my eyeballs….Ha Ha Ha.  

I decided to take a trip to the ER and beg for a pair of latex gloves.
Well they gave me a pair and I put them on and removed my contacts
Then my hands decided to be sensitive to the latex and they broke out
in a fun little burning itchy rash…irritated by the pepper juice…

Please learn from my mistakes and wear PPE to do this task!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:23:03 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 09:08:58 am »
I make a lot of pickled items including cucumbers, beans, carrots, okra, etc.

I would encourage you to try adding a tablespoon of smoked sweet paprika to a mason jar of whatever.  Fantastic.  I've done it with cukes, beans, and okra, and it is great.  I also add cayenne, so it's a nice spicy/smokey crunch.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:32:28 am »
How about a quick rundown on the process and a few simple recipes for those of us that would like to try making pickles?  I'd like to try it but I've never seen how its done and never looked it up online before... I don't want to start another hobby but making a small batch of pickles sounds good... maybe a 5 gallon bucket size batch?   :-\

If I can remember I'll crack open the Ball guide to Canning tonight and post a few recipes.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:42:12 am »

If I can remember I'll crack open the Ball guide to Canning tonight and post a few recipes.
Your local County Extension office will have all the necessary information on hand and they may even
check your pressure canning equipment for free.....it is a food safety thing for sure...take no short cuts.
Also the USDA will have charts for time and temperature specific guidelines FOR YOUR ELEVATION!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:54 am »
The refrigerator kind are really easy, and don't require any pressure canning equipment.

For a 22 oz. jar (I use old pasta sauce jars - also handy for a variety of brewing tasks), bring the following to a boil: 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar (I like to use a mixture of tarragon and apple cider vinegar), 1.5 teaspoons of salt, some sugar (up to a half cup depending on the level of sweetness you want), and whatever herbs or spices you want to add (I like cayenne pepper - though that smoked sweet paprika sounds awesome).

While that's coming up to a boil, slice up a cucumber, some onion, and some garlic (or whatever you want to pickle), and add it to the jar.  Then top off the jar with the boiling liquid, let it sit at room temperature until it cools down, and stick it in the fridge.  They're ready to eat in just a few days.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:00:09 am by narcout »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 10:08:26 am »
My wife will pickle almost anything she can. I guess it's the Russian heritage.

My personal favorite is pickled garlic.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 10:34:51 am »
A friend makes these awesome "Russian pickled tomatoes" from cherry tomatoes. Anyone have a good recipe?

Try stuffing serrano and/or jalapeño peppers and carrots in with those quick-pickles. I like a sweeter hotter brine.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 11:02:19 am »
"The classic Polish dill pickle, whose preparation goes back well over 1,000 years, is naturally cured and is a healthier alternative than any of the pickles pickled with vinegar. They are also easy to prepare.

Wash and drain roughly 4 lb of 4-inch, green pickling cucumbers. Cukes larger than 6 inches are not used. If you have cucumbers of varying size, put the large ones at bottom of the jar, since they take longer tocure. The best cucumbers to brine-cure are those picked the same day. If yours are not, soak them in ice cold water 2-3 hrs. Wash, dry, scald with boiling water, and dry again large glass jar or crock big enough to accommodate the pickles. At bottom of container, place 3 stalks mature pickling dill (heads or seed clusters as well as stems). Stand cucumbers in container upright. Add 3-5 cloves garlic, several small pieces of horseradish root, and several fruit leaves (cherry,black-currant or grape are best!). I also like to add a hot pepper, chopped green bell pepper and a stalk of celary. A regular pickling spice blend is optional.

Bring to boil 6 c. water and 3 T. pickling salt. When cooled slightly, pour warm solution over cucumbers. Cover with inverted plate and weight down so cucumbers are submerged. Cover with cheesecloth and
that's all there is to it.

They should be fully cured in 7-10 days. You may leave them on counter until all are used up or transfer to fridge.

Optional: Other flavorings may include: 1 horseradish leaf, 1-2 green
oak leaves (this gives pickles a barrel-like taste), 1 bay leaf, a
pinch of mustard seeds or unground coriander, a small piece of chili
pepper, a slice of celeriac or parsley root. Do not use all these
flavorings in a single batch of pickles, but experiment on successive
batches to see which combination suits you best.
Ron Price