Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Microscope and yeast counting  (Read 30150 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Microscope and yeast counting
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 08:36:06 am »
What kind of microscope did you buy?

I think it was this: http://cynmar.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CSH08017

Kai

I just checked and they don’t have the one that I bough (753 SRS) anymore. It was about the same price and has very similar specs. I don’t think it matters much and I didn’t really do a lot of research either. I went for the monocular version which will be a pain but I didn’t feel like spending an additional $100. I’ll just buy and eye patch ;)

Kai

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 03:28:30 pm »
So I finally got to play around with the microscope and the hemacytometer.

So cool to see the yeast and with methylene blue stain it is easy to tell the difference between viable and non-viable cells. 400x seems to work best for counting for me. But counting  cells is a lot of prep work and some clean-up.

Kai

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 10:26:43 pm »
I was messing around with mine, and one of the kids must have been turning knobs.  I tried to focus the microscope and "crack"... there went my counting chamber.  I focused right through the slide (and they aren't cheap slides).  I thought that I might mention that (at least if you have kids around) you should start at the lowest magnification, find the area you are looking for, and then increase the magnification one objective at a time until you are up at 400X. 

I work with microscopes every day, and never thought I would make this mistake at home, but I'm back shopping for a new counting chamber. 
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 07:47:41 am »
Karl,

That sucks. But can't you just use a normal cover slide? The grid is on the bottom of the chamber which is hard to break. Or get a replacement for the slides. I think that this must happen quite often and mine came with a spare cover slide.

Kai

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 11:17:41 am »
 Crack? :D :D :D

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. Hope 2010 is a little better for ya!

Reminds me of a guy who once tried to get a "running go" with his malt crusher and flipped it across the floor.

It sucks to be human.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 12:02:40 pm »
looks like someone is making a Cynmar order: http://www.cynmar.com/productdetails/01200122.aspx

Kai

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 01:52:54 pm »
And you get 10 cover glass with it :)
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 11:05:14 am »
I'm pretty spoiled and get to use a $5-6K Ziess scope at work. I've also used an inverted scope for a few months while doing research on cardiac myocytes that ran around 80K :o Cool stuff!

I want to get one for home use, but don't really see the need at this point. I would LOVE to have one though!
Travis R.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 11:56:14 am »
Having a microscope certainly lengthened my brewday ;). At some point the frequent use is likely to wear off though.

To make determining cell densities and cell counts easier I wrote a simple spread sheet that I keep on my ipod and together with a tally counter app it’s pretty simple to use. I thought I may share it here: http://braukaiser.com/documents/cell_count.xls

Instead of giving dilutions you specify how many additional volumes of the sample volume you added for methylene blue dye and/or additional water. This seems to work better for me.

The current setting of depth and width (0.1 mm x 0.05 mm) is for one of the small squares in an improved Neubauer counting chamber.

Kai

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:57:58 am by Kaiser »

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 12:46:00 pm »
Its definitely a nice tools to have around--even if the usage reduces.
Travis R.

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 09:23:13 am »
I was messing around with mine, and one of the kids must have been turning knobs.  I tried to focus the microscope and "crack"... there went my counting chamber.  I focused right through the slide (and they aren't cheap slides).  I thought that I might mention that (at least if you have kids around) you should start at the lowest magnification, find the area you are looking for, and then increase the magnification one objective at a time until you are up at 400X. 

I work with microscopes every day, and never thought I would make this mistake at home, but I'm back shopping for a new counting chamber. 
I ordered a replacement counting chamber, through amazon of all places, as that was the best deal I could find with same day shipping (about $37 vs $50 on cynmar).  Hopefully I will be back in the cell counting business soon.  I have been looking at yeast on plain glass slides with Methylene blue, and Kai is right about the dramatic difference between the viable and dead cells.  If I can get pictures I will try to put some online (I might have to bring some yeast to work for this).
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 04:29:23 pm »
Wow, you actually broke through the whole thing.

Kai

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 05:08:03 pm »
I'm noticing cynmar's having a sale on some simple stereo micros.. may have to break down and get one.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 07:24:08 pm »
I'm noticing cynmar's having a sale on some simple stereo micros.. may have to break down and get one.
Do you have a link?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling: