Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Quadrupel ideas  (Read 29767 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Belgian Quadrupel ideas
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 10:06:52 am »
Damn you people making me go out and buy new ingredients. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 10:15:43 am »
Thanks Denny.  But I was asking about the FG, final gravity of the quad.

I just ordered 2# D-190, 1# of D-90, and 1# of D-45.

I'm thinking of trying a Westy-inspired brew; just a blend of Pils/Pale malt and dark syrup.  Per BLAM, the OG/FG are 1.090/1.013 (which I think equates to 10.2% ABV and 86% apparent attenuation) or very close to that.  Sugar to be just under 20% of fermentables.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 10:46:31 am »
Thanks Denny.  But I was asking about the FG, final gravity of the quad.

Ah, sorry.  I don't know...it's gonna be what it's gonna be!  But with 3 lb. of sugar in there, I'm guessing it will be sub 20.

I just ordered 2# D-190, 1# of D-90, and 1# of D-45.

I'm thinking of trying a Westy-inspired brew; just a blend of Pils/Pale malt and dark syrup.  Per BLAM, the OG/FG are 1.090/1.013 (which I think equates to 10.2% ABV and 86% apparent attenuation) or very close to that.  Sugar to be just under 20% of fermentables.

Sounds good.  Keep us informed!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 10:46:59 am »
Damn you people making me go out and buy new ingredients. :)

Oh, quit whining and just get out your credit card!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 06:12:01 am »
What temp are you fermenting at Denny?

I brewed mine Sunday, 10# Pils, 3.5# Pale 2-row, .25# Special B, 1 oz Carafa Special II, 2 # D-180 and 1# D-90.  Hit 1.090 on the nose.  The FFT isn't quite done yet (this 3787 sure slows to a crawl towards the end) but was ~1.014 this morning, shooting for 1.012.  Some others have suggested starting it in the mid 60's and just letting it free-rise into the low 80s so I was going to try that.  I sure hope I don't get a ton of fusels.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:13:36 am by SpanishCastleAle »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2011, 09:21:53 am »
What temp are you fermenting at Denny?

I brewed mine Sunday, 10# Pils, 3.5# Pale 2-row, .25# Special B, 1 oz Carafa Special II, 2 # D-180 and 1# D-90.  Hit 1.090 on the nose.  The FFT isn't quite done yet (this 3787 sure slows to a crawl towards the end) but was ~1.014 this morning, shooting for 1.012.  Some others have suggested starting it in the mid 60's and just letting it free-rise into the low 80s so I was going to try that.  I sure hope I don't get a ton of fusels.

Started at 62, it's running about 65 now.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2011, 09:54:42 am »
 Some others have suggested starting it in the mid 60's and just letting it free-rise into the low 80s so I was going to try that.  I sure hope I don't get a ton of fusels.

You could always start in the 60's and control the free rise by gradually allowing it to ramp up if you have the ability to temp control.  The other option is to hold it steady in the 60's for the first 48-72hrs where most of the growth and esters occur and then ramping it up.  Both methods should control fusel alcohol formation if you are truly concerned about it.

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 05:49:27 am »
Thanks hoser, that's pretty much what I'm doing.  I have ghetto temp control.  I pitched Sunday afternoon at about 63* F and held it there until it started (Monday morning), then only added frozen ice packs to the water bath just enough to let it slowly rise.  Tuesday morning I added the last ice pack when it was at 67* F.  I'm at about 76* F now.  It has stayed at a fairly steady pace and isn't going gangbusters (but I'm glad I used a 6 gal carboy!).

FFT finished almost exactly where I wanted @ ~1.0125.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2011, 09:56:43 am »
Update for those who care....

Yesterday was exactly 30 days since brewing.  I overcame my fear of carboys, got one out of storage and sanitized it and xferred the beer from the bucket primary.  Of course, I had to take a gravity reading and have a taste.  I took a 16 0x. hydrometer sample and after getting a reading (1.016, from an OG of 1.104) I put the sample in a PET bottle with a carbonator cap, hit it with 30 psi and out it in the freezer for 45 min. for a taste.

OH
MY
GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is shaping up to be one of the best beers I've ever made.  Rich, complex dark fruit flavors.  Virtually no hint of alcohol heat, even at only 30 days old and 11.6% ABV.  I kept sipping it slowly trying to find problems....I couldn't.  I just wanted to drink more of it!  I'm thinking that some caramelized raisins or figs would work great in it, but I don't think I want to cover up or overwhelm the flavors that are in there already.  I'm certain that a large part of the flavor is due to the D-180 syrup.  It definitely has similarities to the D2, but I think it has more fruitiness and complexity to it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 10:27:36 am »
Glad to hear it turned out so well.

What's the main difference between D2 and D-180...color?

I have a BPA in the primary right now that I'm planning to use the yeast cake for a quad. I have D2 but don't have D-180, although you now have me considering adding D-180 and D2 together. I would need to find some D-180.

Decisions...decisions... :-\
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2011, 10:44:32 am »
To me, the D-180 has more coffee and dark fruit flavors than the D2.  The D2 is more "rummy".  I think they're close and they're both great ingredients.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2011, 11:47:02 am »
That's awesome Denny, can't wait to try it :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2011, 01:01:55 pm »
That's awesome Denny, can't wait to try it :)

I'm supposed to share??   :o

;D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2011, 03:12:27 pm »
Cool, I'm really looking forward to trying out all of their syrups.

I've been promising my boss a Belgian Strong Dark for months...
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Michael Julian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2012, 12:27:34 pm »
Hey Denny... I am looking to brew a La Trappe Quad and have read every post in this thread. I was wondering how everything came out?

The La Trappe is a bit lighter in color so I was going to use the D-90 to get down to the 19-22 SRM range. Does this sound like the right direction?

Did you keg or bottle? The La Trappe I have been exposed to at my local watering hole is on tap and is very good so I was going to age half in a keg and half in the bottle.

Any pointers would be much appreciated..