Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rice, beans, etc  (Read 8859 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Rice, beans, etc
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 09:41:23 am »
I like turtles....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 09:54:31 am »
I like turtles....

Rare, medium rare, soup?
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 11:00:37 am »
Some great points have been made.  I prepare as much of our food from scratch as possible, pay attention to seasonal price fluctuations/sales, always read ingredient lists, always buy in bulk, and make large batches.  The end result is very healthy food at a reasonable price that does not take a lot of effort to prepare (save time by making large batches that can be portioned and frozen).

But you wouldn't believe how many people believe the myth that making meals from scratch is expensive and time consuming.  I suppose it is an easy excuse to continue eating over priced, pre-packaged crap because they are "too busy."

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 12:17:33 pm »
But you wouldn't believe how many people believe the myth that making meals from scratch is expensive and time consuming.  I suppose it is an easy excuse to continue eating over priced, pre-packaged crap because they are "too busy."

Not to mention the sheer fun of cooking that they're missing out on.
Joe

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 02:29:07 pm »
Cheapest way to eat meat around here is either whole chickens or chicken leg quarters, which run from 50c to 80c a lb, usually.  It takes a lot more work, but I do a lot of deboning of whole chickens, and the stock you can make from the bones and skin of a whole chicken makes a fantastic base for soups, dal, or gravy.  I'd lose the game hen thing, unless you get per lb pricing on them comparable to the above.  They tend to be rather expensive around here.

Smoke a whole chicken, and you have plenty of meat that can be used for any variety of dishes, such as chicken tacos.

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 06:16:21 pm »
Not to mention the sheer fun of cooking that they're missing out on.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1584796677/

Plus a Shun Premier Santoku (they also make an excellent French/German Chef's Knife in that line, but the proper Japanese Santoku is technically superior--requires more skill, though).  One of my next adventures.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 08:03:51 pm »
I like turtles....

Rare, medium rare, soup?

1" cubes deep fried. ;D

($18/lb) high-quality farm-fresh butter.....

You're paying 18 bucks for "farm fresh butter"?

You can make your own for the price of a pint of heavy whipping cream. Pour it in a blender and in 5 minutes you have fresh butter. Keep an eye on it because once it reaches the whipped cream stage it turns to butter all at once in about a minute. Strain through some cloth or a metal strainer and salt to taste. Keeps in the fridge for a long time. I haven't "bought" butter in years.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 02:29:10 am »
I like turtles....

Rare, medium rare, soup?

1" cubes deep fried. ;D

($18/lb) high-quality farm-fresh butter.....

You're paying 18 bucks for "farm fresh butter"?

You can make your own for the price of a pint of heavy whipping cream. Pour it in a blender and in 5 minutes you have fresh butter. Keep an eye on it because once it reaches the whipped cream stage it turns to butter all at once in about a minute. Strain through some cloth or a metal strainer and salt to taste. Keeps in the fridge for a long time. I haven't "bought" butter in years.

Farm fresh in my mind means the cream came from the cow, was churned, and had as little as possible done to it in terms of processing. Just my $0.02... But yes I think you're paying too much as well. I can get beurre Barette that's produced organically from cows about 20 km away for 6 euros / 500 g (~ pound).  Anything beyond that is just marketing.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 07:03:59 am »
I like turtles....

I am headed to the pet store right now, for a box turtle, and a pund of bacon. Me and my turtle will begin bacon eating trainig immediatly. Will post results later.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 07:53:16 am »
Gotta get you a big snapping turtle! Watch those fingers when bacon feeding training... :D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 11:30:55 am »
I have struggled with food bills as well.  In college, I was a vegetarian mostly for budget purposes--it works.  Try  to go vegetarian a few times a week and you'll see a difference.  +1 to rice and beans, buying in bulk, and CSAs. We freeze alot of our share too-- nothing like having summer quality ratatouille or pesto (freeze in ice cube trays) in the dead of winter!

Another thing I've learned is, it matters where you shop.  Beware the price club places--bigger is not always cheaper, you have to compare, but some things work out well, i.e. frozen pastas like tortellini. I have shopped all the supermarkets at one point or another and by far, Wegman's is the best.  Their store brand items like canned beans and tomatoes, are exceptional quality and reasonably priced.  They have good prices on meats and fish as well, and if you want, they also have the high end gourmet quality items as well--as opposed to Whole(foods) Paycheck which is really great but super expensive.

My wife makes great "surprise" mac and cheese with cheese ends bought from the deli counter for cheap.  Use whole grain pasta, make a salad and you're eating for a dollar a serving.
Member #: 900000767

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 07:12:59 am »
Two quick things - 1. Oatmeal. Really, it fills you up, and if you get the steel-cut unprocessed kind (also called pinhead oats, check your local health food store) they're full of vitamins and minerals.

2. Rice and beans, hell yeah, get your complimentary protein on. My favorite rice and beans recipe is this one, from the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/28/magazine/28food-t-001.html?ref=magazine
couple things I do, though - I add some canned clementine oranges in syrup, and deglaze the post-bacon pan with some bourbon. It's super super tasty and will make a LOT if you practice portion control.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 12:55:36 pm »
Two quick things - 1. Oatmeal. Really, it fills you up, and if you get the steel-cut unprocessed kind (also called pinhead oats, check your local health food store) they're full of vitamins and minerals.

+1 on the oatmeal.  I eat it all of the time.  I prefer patriot oats though.  ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 01:40:35 pm »
I have struggled with food bills as well.  In college, I was a vegetarian mostly for budget purposes--it works.  Try  to go vegetarian a few times a week and you'll see a difference. 

No kidding.  I have to limit that though; I'm not used to eating vegetables at all.  You know supermarkets are organized because people head clockwise by nature (they shoved the doors on the left, put palates of crap in the way, and people crawled and fought around the palates like monkeys to wander the store clockwise!), with the fresh produce on the right side, doors on the right, etc.  Fresh produce makes a good impression right?

I don't shop clockwise.

I glance there, yeah.  My brain immediately goes, "Nothing interesting in that direction."  It's like instant repulsion.  If i need something from there, I go there, usually after wandering the store in a daze for a bit unless the ONLY thing I need is an avocado to make sushi.

Beans, rice, soy, protein ... no matter what I get, if I eliminate meat from my diet, my body fails to extract whatever it is it needs from the food (or maybe I'm missing something?) and in under a week I'm quite ill.  It only takes 2-3 days without meat for me to lose my ability to heal, and in under 5 days I'm noticing open wounds and sores that have just appeared... the skin, it cracks and splits.  In a week my immune system starts to fail and I get really sick.  People experience problems going vegetarian yeah, but I'm like way beyond "outlier" here, I'm not even in the same universe.

I made buffalo burgers with meat I had for a week already, and finished them a week later.  Raw until cooked and consumed.  The last day the meat smelled sort of bad... do you know how I cook hamburgers?  Frying pan, outside becomes well done and charred, but the inside is warm and creamy (creamy == RAW MEAT).  Yes I ate rather... bad... smelling meat raw.  I had a really bad stomach ache and headache that night, went into work about 2 hours late the next day completely recovered.  Seriously that would kill a dog.

But yeah, $550-$640/mo is not exactly "struggling with food costs."  It's just "spending too damn much."  I want the costs down so I have money to spend on other things, like expensive knives, tea, a bicycle seat shock absorber so my ass doesn't hurt so much....  Eating at the cafeteria work supplies is not a good way to save money, nor is buying a bunch of groceries and not effectively using them.  Canned goods are cheap, and also garbage; Hormel canned chili with beans is like dog food.

Anyway point is I like bean soups and I like my rice, not into salads and veganism but I can do some fajitas and ensaladas and stuff along the way.  I need my meat though; it is infeasible for me to abandon meat for more than 2 days.  Which is odd because I abandoned food for 4 days in a row once with no ill effects....

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 01:47:02 pm »
Wow that is an extreme reaction. I guess you won't be doing the vegetarian thing.  I hate soy protein myself, and find that it does not digest in my system well.  Ever try whey protein powder?  The shakes are economical and make a great quick breakfast.  
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:23:51 pm by Bret »
Member #: 900000767