Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer drinking and brewing music  (Read 115518 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer drinking and brewing music
« Reply #495 on: May 04, 2011, 07:46:01 am »
I just bought this album, and I don't know what it is about me and cheesy 50s era Hawaiian jazz, but I can't get enough.  I would say its far too relaxing for brewing music, but it serves rather nicely as music by which to have a pint and relax.

Alfred Apaka - Hawaii's Golden Voice
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QQY1MQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000009S50&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1YSX00VXDHQB7EC8SW88

I also have his Hawaiian Favorites, both great.  I am a sucker for well-played Hawaiian steel guitar...no pansy pitch-bend pedals here, just slants and hand technique!  :D

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #496 on: May 04, 2011, 11:05:48 am »
Ohhhh... Now you've done it.  You opened the door for Hawaiian music.  I don't have time to post more now.  I am traveling over the saddle, my passenger is making a pit stop, so I'm posting via iiPhone while I wait.

Three of my Hawaiian favs:
Hapa
Iz
Gabby Pahinui
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #497 on: May 04, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »
Figured you'd have an opinion!   ;)

I have a pandora station for Hawaiian music, so I've listened to a lot of the more acoustic, traditional Hawaiian (all in the native tongue and a bit more "folky" than "jazzy"), but I just keep coming back to the laughably impure 1920s-1960s stuff, with the cheesy lyrics and the sweet, singing steel.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #498 on: May 04, 2011, 11:04:25 pm »
I have a Pandora Station for Zakir Hussain....NICE STUFF
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #499 on: May 04, 2011, 11:31:58 pm »
Ohhhh... Now you've done it.  You opened the door for Hawaiian music.  I don't have time to post more now.  I am traveling over the saddle, my passenger is making a pit stop, so I'm posting via iiPhone while I wait.

Hapa
Iz
Gabby Pahinui
Gabby and Iz are great, I don't think I've heard Hapa.  We played Iz at our wedding. :)  Awesome stuff.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #500 on: May 05, 2011, 03:16:25 am »
Ohhhh... Now you've done it.  You opened the door for Hawaiian music.  I don't have time to post more now.  I am traveling over the saddle, my passenger is making a pit stop, so I'm posting via iiPhone while I wait.

Hapa
Iz
Gabby Pahinui
Gabby and Iz are great, I don't think I've heard Hapa.  We played Iz at our wedding. :)  Awesome stuff.

My wife made a tape we played in the delivery room when our son was being delivered.  I videotaped much of the occasion.  Watching the tape we discovered that Iz's song In Dis Life was playing when my son made his debut.  A powerful song for a powerful moment!

Hapa is awesome!  Their self-titled album is my favorite.  Barry Flanagan is a guitar player of the highest order.

I took my family to see Hapa for a Christmas concert at the Kilauea Military Camp theater last December.  Double awesome.  Chicken skin kine music!

Hapa- He'eia

Hapa - Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai

Hapa - Lei Pikake

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #501 on: May 05, 2011, 03:48:24 am »

I have a pandora station for Hawaiian music, so I've listened to a lot of the more acoustic, traditional Hawaiian (all in the native tongue and a bit more "folky" than "jazzy"), but I just keep coming back to the laughably impure 1920s-1960s stuff, with the cheesy lyrics and the sweet, singing steel.

To borrow a phrase from NOLA musicians, "There's pride on Bourbon Street!"

Steel guitar music is very Hawaiian.  There's pride on Waikiki!  Barney Isaacs is a master.

Check out

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #502 on: May 05, 2011, 04:45:37 am »

Steel guitar music is very Hawaiian.  There's pride on Waikiki!  Barney Isaacs is a master.

Check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKS04WxHz6w for example? Nice stuff. It reminds me a lot of Tulsa Swing. Bob wills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FrOrmMgxms&feature=related

And finally, some slide blues, Tampa Red-style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWPb3OsOeJo
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #503 on: May 05, 2011, 05:39:40 am »

Check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKS04WxHz6w for example? Nice stuff. It reminds me a lot of Tulsa Swing. Bob wills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FrOrmMgxms&feature=related

And finally, some slide blues, Tampa Red-style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWPb3OsOeJo

+1000

Love the slide...and Tampa Red is one of the best!
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #505 on: May 05, 2011, 07:47:09 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPjyFN7cWu4

Very nice Nic.

Hawaiian roots music is very tranquil and pleasing to the ears. I love the strings and slide.
Ron Price

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #506 on: May 05, 2011, 07:52:27 am »
I play guitar (not much slide though) and bought this about 10 years ago.  It's from the 40's best I can tell (it originally had a field-coil speaker but now has an output tranny and regular speaker, also had a couple of metal-envelope vaccum tubes).  You can still barely make out the Hawaiian hula girl (bottom right corner) and palm trees (top left) on the grill cloth.  We like to call that finish 'mother-of-toilet-seat'. ;D  These were all the rage back then.

Sorry for the hijack, just wanted to share.

I like instrumental music for brewing but it could be anything from Guthrie Govan to Wes Montgomery to Joscho Stephan (yea, I like guitar).

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #507 on: May 05, 2011, 07:57:37 am »
Wow...that is sweet!
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #508 on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:40 pm »
I have a Pandora Station for Zakir Hussain....NICE STUFF

Just recently, in the last few weeks, I saw him play locally with Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer...that particular CD of the three of them is beyond beer drinking or brewing music, its sit down and hold on tight music.  I generally love Zakir Hussain when he's doing indian classical, ie. tabla solo with some sort of sarangi nagma or something, but he seems really well disposed to expanding to other genres...he seems to have the gift that Ravi Shankar has, in being a good ambassador.  There are plenty of fantastic tabla players but to denigrate to play with an American banjo player is a good thing.  Just like if a certain cery famous English guitar player had been deemed too much of a pop musician to warrant Panditji's attention, I for one might never have been properly introduced to Indian music.  But Raviji, even as he was entering his late 40s, was willing to work with silly Western pop musicians, along with the strikingly serious musicians like Yehudi Menuhin, and without that influence I can pretty safely wager I would not have much of a knowledge of Indian music.

But anyway, Zakir funks it up!!!  That dude can brutalize a tabla tarang like noone else.

jaybeerman

« Reply #509 on: May 05, 2011, 11:49:29 pm »
these guys are new to me and pretty amusing - beirut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol1vk0wmD3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJYAsuVQry0

this seems to be their only good album