Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer vs. Wine Party  (Read 8424 times)

chargerssb

Beer vs. Wine Party
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:46:02 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am going to be throwing a beer vs. wine party in May for my 30th b-day (know a lot of wine snobs and want to show them how beer too can pair with food just as well as wine).  So far the idea is having a Thai food themed menu, appetizer, first course, entrée, and a dessert.  The appetizer is still up in the air. For the first course we are having Tom Ka Gai Soup.  The entrée is going to be chicken panang curry with rice.  The dessert is going to cheesecake with a mango puree sauce.  

I am in the process of doing research on beers to pair with each course and wanted to get some tips as to what might work.  I am new to homebrewing and have really been into craft beers the last couple of years.  What styles and or specific beers might go best with each course.  I really want to get these pairings right to maybe convert some of these "wine snobs"; or at least plant the seed that beer is not just that yellow fizzy stuff.  Thanks everyone.  Cheers.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Beer vs. Wine Party
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:11:03 pm »
I have nothing to add except that I like your ideas. I find them fresh, and exciting. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Great idea dude!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »
In general I feel that Belgians work well for converting wine snobs. They see it has a cork and they're all like, ooh, that's fancy! And then I'm all like, well get ready to have your mind blown, cuz this is beer!

Then I bang out Stairway on air guitar, with the volume on the air amps cranked to 11.

After I smash the air guitar on the air stage, I push my hair back, look 'em dead in the eye, and say, Yeah, that just happened.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:28:26 am »
If you have time you should check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Brewmasters-Table-Discovering-Pleasures-Real/dp/006000570X

It's from Garret Oliver, the brewmaster at Brooklyn Brewery.

Your thai sounds like a good bet - I LOVE tom kha. Complex flavors go well with complex beers. I'd do summer rolls for the appetizer - as opposed to spring rolls, summer rolls are not fried and are bigger than spring rolls. Typically you put mung bean sprouts, mint, shrimp and chopped peanuts as a filler. Sauce is (IIRC) nam pla cut with something, I don't remember if it's water or what.

My recommendation would be to not go with 100% belgian. Use the same guidelines for beer pairings as you would use for wine pairings. If you go with summer rolls for the appetizer, have something crisp and refreshing like a Kolsch. For Tom Ka, which can be a bit heavy feeling with the coconut milk, I'd go with a high-gravity citrusy Belgian. The citrusy/alcohol notes will balance nicely with the creaminess/butteriness of the soup. With your curry, it can go either way. SIngha is the 'traditional' accompaniment for mains with thai (at least in my mind) but I think you could go for a double / Imperial IPA. Sam Adams also does an Imperial White that might work nicely. Dessert, for that cheesecake, I dunno about you but I love Goose Island Bourbon County stout for something like that. The bourbon notes would pair well if it's a vanilla cheesecake, and provide a bitter balance to the sweetness of the mango.

All beer should be served to wine snobs with a humble pie pairing, of course ;-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:31:19 am »
Oh, and because 1. 3/4 of these are high-gravity and 2. your friends are wine snobs, you should serve these in wine glasses with a typical wine pour (give it room to breathe, don't fill to the top). Also if you go with the imperial white, make sure you serve it cold cold cold.

One more suggestion for dessert would be St Peter's Honey Porter. The aroma on that beer is just ridiculous.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:32:31 am »
Three words:
Green papaya salad...
(Thai ambrosia)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:36:10 am »
Three words:
Green papaya salad...
(Thai ambrosia)

Think they can handle the heat? If so I'd serve it with some Czech Pilsner.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:44:11 am »
Three words:
Green papaya salad...
(Thai ambrosia)

Think they can handle the heat? If so I'd serve it with some Czech Pilsner.

Anything Thai can be hot.  Green papaya salad isn't necessarily so though.  I eat GPSs several times a week.  Very tasty (and keeps you regular).  Of course it helps that I grow my own papayas.

Abita Turbodog is famous for being a heat-beater.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weiht

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:02:00 am »
I couldn't think of a better cuisine than what you are doing. In fact i just had thai food over the weekend with some amazing beers and the combination was just amazing. I love the way beer interacts with the spices, and i have always thought that asian food like indian and thai are excellent pairings with beer.

As much as im more of an ale person, spicy asian food and hot weather makes me appreciate the need for a good lager as well. And nothing better to finish the night with a nice desert and a porter :)
Don't take it personal, there will be people who dislike your beer!!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:29:00 am »
At a seminar on food pairing at last year's NHC they paired cheesecake with IPA and it worked really well.  Very complementary.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:44:19 am »
I am in the process of doing research on beers to pair with each course and wanted to get some tips as to what might work.

Our next Ask the Experts is Sean Paxton, the Homebrew Chef.  The perfect guy to ask about food and beer pairing!  Questions should be open in a week or so.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35:14 am »
Great idea!  Although in fairness to the wine partisans, the choice of Thai food is hardly level...Thai food just goes with beer.  It's a bit like having an Italian dinner and squaring off rich red Italian wines against beer.   ;D

For your dessert I'd say barleywine, preferably English style.  Something huge and special.  American styles might be a bit too hoppy, but a good British style barleywine would be a nice foil to cheesecake I think.

Since panang tends to be moderately milder than other Thai curries, I would choose something other than thirst quenching pils or weizen for that time...maybe an IPA, or bitter, or even perhaps porter.  Definitely have a lighter beer in there at somepoint though!

And I second the notion of something corked and Belgian purely for the visual appeal.  How about a cold, highly carbonated tripel served in champagne flutes for the appetizer?  Freak em out with that!  :D

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 10:47:19 am »
Might want to try to work a lambic in there somewhere. The russian river Beatification is really amazing in place of champagne. For desert I like somkething bitter and roasty to cut the sweetness of the cheesecake, RIS perhaps. I like wheat beers with thai food alot. a nice lemony hefe would highlight the lemongrass in thai. I LOVE saison with spicy thai also.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 12:33:31 pm »
Oooh, excellent, maybe saison instead of a tripel for that first quasi-champagne beer.  Lambics I'm less a fan of personally, but it sounds interesting!

But saison sounds like a better plan than tripel, not least because your guests legs won't turn to rubber after the first course...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 12:52:34 pm »
Oooh, excellent, maybe saison instead of a tripel for that first quasi-champagne beer.  Lambics I'm less a fan of personally, but it sounds interesting!

But saison sounds like a better plan than tripel, not least because your guests legs won't turn to rubber after the first course...

To each there own but what is it about lambics that turn you off? Have you had the russion river beatification? I do not like the sweet fruity lindemanns style of lambic at all but a straight (non-fruit) lambic is a wonderful thing.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce