Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Going All Grain & Have Equipment Questions...  (Read 8529 times)

Offline swire

• 1st Kit
Re: Going All Grain & Have Equipment Questions...
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 12:28:49 am »
Great info and links, thanks for sharing. Sounds like the 20 gallon SS pot is the way to go. I should receive the conversion kit by tomorrow so I'll see if that can be returned or if it will work with the two 10 gallon coolers. It's meant for the round ones so I don't have the option for the rectangular ones unless I can return that kit.

A couple other questions...
  • - My local home brew shop ground the grain for my this weekend. I thought I'd have the equipment together sooner but it's taking time. Is it okay to leave time between grinding it and using it?
    - I didn't realize my liquid yeast was in the box, thought I had put in the fridge already, but just found it tonight. It's expanded and I just threw it in the fridge. It's been 1.5 days out in room temp. Is it usable? How long? I saw a kit on williams brewing for yeast starter or a stir starter - http://www.williamsbrewing.com/YEAST_STARTER_KIT_P2156C108.cfm - should I look at something like that or just get a new packet of yeast?

Thanks for all your help!

Zack

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 12:39:29 am »
The grain will be OK and so will the yeast. Make a starter with it. The yeast kit is nice but not absolutely necessary. RDWHAHB
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 07:31:50 am »
Equipment for all grain is much of a personal preference and the types of beers you brew.  I am in 1/2 bbl converted kegs for my mash tun and boil kettle...and now have a super fancy HLT from Stout Tanks.  I have never used a cooler.  I do 10-12 gallon batches, but I don't often do big beers (above 1.085), nor use a lot of sticky adjuncts, so I don't have problems with stuck mashes and low efficiencies....I can direct fire any of my tanks and mostly interchange them if I ever needed (in case of failure).

I started with one keg kettle and a 5 gallon pot for my HLT and always needed extra water for sparging and was always transfering wort all around my brewery.  Built my system one piece at a time (well after it was painfully evident that I needed the next piece of equipment).  In this manner, I was able to save for good equipment and over buy (bigger and slightly better than I deserve) and look for deals....but it is as I said, a personal preference.  Good beer can be made from the most simple of equipment...and really bad beer can be made anywhere.

good luck!
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline swire

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 01:46:18 pm »
Been saving all the links shared here. Some really great sites and equipment out there.

I was able to find out from Austin Homebrew Supply that the conversion kit will work with the 10 gallon coolers as well so I'm guessing that will be a less costly way to get into this. Although, I'd prefer to just get some of the awesome equipment you guys have shared.

I do still need to get that larger kettle. Other than that, I should be ready to go. Looking forward to starting my first all grain batch. Thanks for all the great advice.

Zack

Offline stadelman

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »
Amazon has a great deal on a 10 gallon kettle right now-
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2011/02/winware-10-gallon-professional-aluminum.html

Offline tallcall

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 03:49:43 pm »

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 07:26:30 pm »
And if you want a heavier duty stainless that has the sandwich bottom, here you go...

http://www.instawares.com/stainless-steel-stock-pot-sps-40.upi-sps40.0.7.htm
Joe

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 08:39:25 pm »
And if you want a heavier duty stainless that has the sandwich bottom, here you go...

http://www.instawares.com/stainless-steel-stock-pot-sps-40.upi-sps40.0.7.htm

I have the 60 qt version of that pot.  I like it but it's very heavy.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 10:45:08 am »
Been saving all the links shared here. Some really great sites and equipment out there.

I was able to find out from Austin Homebrew Supply that the conversion kit will work with the 10 gallon coolers as well so I'm guessing that will be a less costly way to get into this. Although, I'd prefer to just get some of the awesome equipment you guys have shared.

I do still need to get that larger kettle. Other than that, I should be ready to go. Looking forward to starting my first all grain batch. Thanks for all the great advice.

Zack

Where are you located? I might could let go of a 1/2bbl. I don't need 6 do I?  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline swire

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 11:45:22 am »
Thanks for the info and links on the kettles. I found a shop in Fullerton, CA called Addison Homebrew Provisions http://www.homebrewprovisions.com/About-Us_ep_7.html

I was looking at the links, but visited Eric at Addison's and found he had a 15 gallon SS Kettle, sandwich bottom and valve for around $250. I also picked up some yeast as I had left the other one out by mistake. So, I'm pretty much ready to go now. Spent all weekend cleaning my garage to make room for my new toys.

My only other problem may be the grain. I purchased it on the 6th and it was ground then. It's been sitting since then as it took me longer than initially planned to get all my equipment together. I should have just picked up a grinder too and I could have done it fresh. If I don't get to it until late this week it will have been nearly two weeks since ground. I heard it can give a stale taste if ground and sits for too long?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 12:10:52 pm »
Don't worry about a couple weeks and the ground grain. Not 100% optimal IMO but not harmful either.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »
I started brewing all-grain last summer.
To start, I bought two of these:
http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International-/60-Qt168824
I added my Home Depot version of weld-b-gone fittings & valves.

Then, I added two of these:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_318834-315-FG1610STMODRD_0__?productId=3318368&Ntt=cooler&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dcooler%26page%3D2

With this conversion:
http://members.shaw.ca/Fly_Guy/mlt.htm

Built a 25' copper chiller with compression fittings & garden hose adapters.

Had one propane burner, but my buddy wanted in & added a second:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/low-profile-banjo-burner-burner-and-stand.html

Here's most of the collection:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:01:58 pm by Kit B »

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 01:30:09 pm »
I was looking at the links, but visited Eric at Addison's and found he had a 15 gallon SS Kettle, sandwich bottom and valve for around $250.

I strongly suspect you're going to be very happy with a kettle like that.  Nice going.

As for the grain already crushed, a couple of weeks isn't really going to hurt.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »
I was at a restaurant supply place today and they had a 20 gal. Volrath kettle for $160.  Kinda wish I needed one!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 02:10:00 pm »
I was at a restaurant supply place today and they had a 20 gal. Volrath kettle for $160.  Kinda wish I needed one!

Wow...That's a sweet kettle.
I'd have a hard time passing that up, if it was right in my face.