Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: H**lth Food  (Read 8450 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
H**lth Food
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:58:45 pm »
So, I figure I could stand to lose a few (the definition of "few" being rather elastic), and I'm starting to edge myself away from the excesses of my recent cooking which tends to be less than healthy (for instance, oktoberfest?  its like a carb and fat festival!).

What is stranger is that I've almost started to develop a strange (and novel, for me) affinity for certain healthy foods...last night my dinner was a salad of spinach, thinly sliced cucumber, paper-thin sliced celery, and faint drizzle of olive oil and pepper.  Also a fresh thai birdseye chili minced up, which put some serious heat in it.  I really liked it!  Maybe I had one too many racks of pork ribs?  :D  My homemade pizzas have stopped including meat as a topping and now generally are topped with pineapple, mushrooms, olives, jalapenos, etc.  Oh, and I've at least temporarily retired my 20oz beer mug...last night a 9oz pull was equally satisfying, if savored a bit slower.

Any of you guys have any specialties that you would consider particularly exemplary in health/nutrition?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: H**lth Food
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:08:21 pm »
I make a big batch of chicken/veg/orzo soup every week or so.  Very healthy, very tasty, and you can freeze leftovers for a quick meal.  And keep in mind that portion control and exercise are equally important to diet in terms of weight loss.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:21:57 pm »
Of course...those two things have been added as well.  Simple little things like using small salad plates instead of larger plates can help in small ways get you adapted to not filling (and emptying) a full dinner plate, and as mentioned, smaller glassware helps moderate calorically rich homebrew, too.

When I do smoke things like chicken or other meats I usually end up with a lot of it stored in the freezer, so a vegetable soup might be a good thing to use with the leftover roast chicken.  The backbone and trimmings (from before the roast was cooked) makes a great stock to use as a base for a soup, so I may try that.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 02:16:45 pm »
Nic, You're pretty big into asian food, right?  We have a stir fry at least once a week.  Lots of veggies is key, with little chix or beef.  Make the sauce yourself,  I use fish sauce, rice wine, a little sesame oil, and thicken with corn starch.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 02:52:40 pm »
Oh, yeah, totally agree there.  I'll pass on the fish sauce, just can't get over the aroma and even when cooked in food and somewhat muted...it adds little to me, other than the faintly detectable aroma of....well I'll leave my opinions of fish sauce there.

But some ginger, veggies, good soy, lots of chili peppers or chili sauce can make a great stir fry.  If I'm going to add a starch, rice noodles are my favorite by far.  I don't know how they stack up but rice noodles seem a bit lighter and less starchy/carby than more normal wheat noodles.  I also like jasmine rice, but rice noodles are easier to whip up.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 03:19:34 pm »
I have to agree on the aroma of fish sauce. It is not very pleasant however it's flavor contributions are very nice. I love asian sauces. I am a big schezuan fan. Big bold flavors with some heat. I could eat asian every week.
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 07:12:38 pm »
Hey Nic, try some of the Indian Veg dishes. Lots are very easy and fast and keep well. Te use of such things as spices, hot peppers, lentils and rice combined with quick pan breads make it both healthy and hearty.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 07:36:01 pm »
An easy and healthy recipe for a nice honey-mustard dressing: Mix up a couple Tblspoons Honey into a 1/3-1/2 cup Spicy Brown mustard, add a touch of Olive oil and a splash of Balsamic Vinegar. Mix well and serve over a simple salad of Spinach and Sliced Portabello Mushrooms. A little crumbled up bacon makes it perfect - half a pice of bacon won't hurt you any.  ;)

I have a bunch of healthy recipes I will try to post over the next few days. You can start by looking at page 2 for my Spicy Basil Chicken.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 08:13:28 am »
You can start by looking at page 2 for my Spicy Basil Chicken.

???
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:10:05 pm »
I've lost 20+ pounds since last year just by cutting my portions down considerably. I rarely take seconds. It is possible to drink beer and lose weight, but the calories have to get cut somewhere.

Love veggies- in fact if it wasn't for my BBQ addiction I'd return to strict vegitarianism in a heartbeat. :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 10:52:27 pm »
As far as health food goes, would you consider sushi as healthy? I really wish I could make it at home. Love the stuff.

I am no health nut by any means. But I have made it a point to have much less red meat than I am used to. I have taken a liking to many asian meals that are mostly salads, fish, and what not. I wanted to get into making sushi at home but then I saw Bobby Flay throw down against a sushi joint...I wonder how I would do.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 11:13:48 pm »
LOL I just had nigiri from the market. Not too bad. Filling.

Bought one of those rolling mats and have made maki (rolls). I've also made nigiri. The rice is easy to make and should be left out overnight to ferment a bit with the sugar and vinegar.

Kinda messy and sticky but fun and healthy to make.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 09:12:08 am »
As far as health food goes, would you consider sushi as healthy? I really wish I could make it at home. Love the stuff.

I am no health nut by any means. But I have made it a point to have much less red meat than I am used to. I have taken a liking to many asian meals that are mostly salads, fish, and what not. I wanted to get into making sushi at home but then I saw Bobby Flay throw down against a sushi joint...I wonder how I would do.

Alton Brown had a Good Eats episode on making sushi. It wasn't nigiri but rolls. Didn't look too hard but it seemed you need some specialized equipment, like the mats, that I didn't want to buy because I wouldn't make it very often. Looked good though.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 09:30:52 am »
Sushi is pretty easy and much cheaper than eating it out.  All you need are some bamboo mats and I have found a rice cooker to also be very helpful.  Get a book or just search on-line and you'll be making regular rolls and inside out rolls in no time.  I make vegetarian rolls all the time to bring in for lunch at work.  I think you could probably dip just about anything in Soy Sauce and Wasabi and it would taste good!