Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: chipotle Mayo  (Read 4692 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
chipotle Mayo
« on: January 22, 2011, 04:46:03 pm »

Have y'all tried this?

Good stuff.

might try to make some homemade.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:50:23 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: chipotle Mayo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:52:15 pm »

Have y'all tried this?

Good stuff.

I can't see the pic but chipotle makes just about anything taste better.

At home I would puree the canned chipotle and then strain the solids. Mix with some mayo or if you are the Miracle Whip type (ugh) then that might be an option. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:07:27 pm »

Have y'all tried this?

Good stuff.

I can't see the pic but chipotle makes just about anything taste better.

At home I would puree the canned chipotle and then strain the solids. Mix with some mayo or if you are the Miracle Whip type (ugh) then that might be an option.  

Fixed the pic ::)

In S.C., there is a legend that a product called Miracle Whip exist but children are warned about the dangers and it is shunned by the natives. We hear tales that outsiders (Yankees and half-backs) try to smuggle it across the border from time to time.

There is a ritual in S.C. that a man goes through when dating a girl when it starts to get serious. We ask them to pick us up some "mayo" at the store for us. If they purchase Miracle Whip, then they are put on the network's "list" and are avoided like the plague. What kind of woman would do that to a man? My God, the humanity of it all.

There ain't no kind of praying that will get you blasphemous ass out of Hell.

Around here, it ain't nothing but Duke's.

I mention the Kraft's brand because its not pure mayo, more of a sauce.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 05:10:36 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:20:02 pm »
Guess we don't get Duke's in these parts.  Hellman's is what we use.
Joe

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:34:41 pm »
 Tubercle might have exaggerated a little bit - which is out of character - about the Duke's mayo but the factory is only about 20 miles away.  We support our own.

But, true story...

A close friend marries a very nice, sweet girl from South Dakota. After the honeymoon she went to the store and bought groceries to stock their new home. As he was helping her unpack he came across a jar of Miracle Whip. He went to the front door and flung it out in the yard and told her "If this is the best you can do you can go back to your mama".

She called me all upset and crying relating this story and wanting to know what she did wrong. I told her his mama raised him on Duke's (she had never heard of it) and go buy the biggest jar she could find. She did, and they have been married over 30 years. She fell in love with it and is all she has used every since.

No B.S.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:08:41 am by tubercle »

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 06:50:14 am »
Mayonnaise is one of the few widely popular foods I have no stomach for...almost anything it touches, potato salad, tuna, sandwiches...becomes sullied and ruined (short trip for canned tuna fish admittedly) in my eyes....but I love chipotle flavoring.

On the label it says "FLAVORED REDUCED FAT MAYONNAISE"

Took me a second to parse that correctly...was reading it as "flavor-reduced"...   ;D

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 06:57:27 pm »

I take a whole can of chipotle in adobo, run it through the food processor, and then store it in the fridge for using in whatever I feel like.  If I want chipotle mayo, I believe I use about 1tsp of the puree to 1 cup of mayo (add more or less depending on your tastes).

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:20:53 pm »
I picked up some Duke's the night this thread posted. It's a funny story actually. A clerk was helping some other people find mayo and I tagged along. Dude wants Miracle Whip! His wife leaned towards me a and said semi-sarcastically: he's the miracle-whip guy. I replied well there's two types of people in this world... We both rolled our eyes. ;D

So I got some Duke's. Just started using it as the Hellman's just ran out. This stuff is pretty good. I was a little disconcerted that they didn't tamper-proof the bottle but this is one fine mayo! And it wasn't any more expensive than what I regularly get.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:32:16 pm »

I take a whole can of chipotle in adobo, run it through the food processor, and then store it in the fridge for using in whatever I feel like.  If I want chipotle mayo, I believe I use about 1tsp of the puree to 1 cup of mayo (add more or less depending on your tastes).

Put a bit of lime juice in it and it's even better!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:45:58 pm »
How about some homemade Chipotle Mayo.  8)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers

Directions
In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise, chipotle chilies, and adobo sauce. Pulse until smooth and well blended.

Excellent recipe!

Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:19:50 pm »
How about some homemade Chipotle Mayo.  8)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers

Directions
In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise, chipotle chilies, and adobo sauce. Pulse until smooth and well blended.

Excellent recipe!

Just add some lime juice!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:36:23 pm »
Come on people we are homebrewers!

1 egg yolk
juice of one lemon (Or lime, Denny)
enough olive oil to make it into mayo

wisk the bejeezus out of the egg and citrus
and SLOWLY drizzle in the olive oil while continueing to whisk like your life depended on it.

It will eventually turn into mayo

or you can do it in the food processor.

and for chipotle, add some chipotle puree to the egg and citrus
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 02:42:43 pm »
My wife has a thing about raw eggs, but I've made mayo using the pasteurized eggs and it came out great.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 03:04:26 pm »
My wife has a thing about raw eggs, but I've made mayo using the pasteurized eggs and it came out great.

did yo know that only 1 out of every 20k or so eggs even has any salmonella in it at all? and if you buy local from small egg farms your odds are even better. but yeah pasturized eggs work fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 03:11:14 pm »
Yeah, I know that and we buy eggs from a person just down the road, so they're fresh and high quality.  But it's a battle I'd rather give up than fight, ya know?

www.dennybrew.com