Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apriocot/Peach flavor in IPA, what hop is it??  (Read 29563 times)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Apriocot/Peach flavor in IPA, what hop is it??
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 07:13:51 am »
My thought was Citra Peach
But I saw Amarillo which I frequently get apricot out of.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 07:24:08 am »
Yeah, Amarillo does have some peach as well (more than Simcoe IMO) - but Citra is a peach/mango explosion. I tried an all Citra pale ale once and I found it undrinkable. But others actually enjoyed it. Me thinks they were nutz.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 07:30:25 am »
Yeah, Amarillo does have some peach as well (more than Simcoe IMO) - but Citra is a peach/mango explosion. I tried an all Citra pale ale once and I found it undrinkable. But others actually enjoyed it. Me thinks they were nutz.

I'm with you entirely on Citra Keith - I gave away the second keg of my Citra/Simcoe APA last year - yeck.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 12:47:43 pm »
That's funny, I haven't gotten peach from amarilllo at all.  I guess it can come from a lot of sources, and possibly an interaction from several.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »
That's funny, I haven't gotten peach from amarilllo at all.  I guess it can come from a lot of sources, and possibly an interaction from several.

Its buried underneath the grapefruit. ;)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 11:35:22 pm »

Its buried underneath the grapefruit. ;)
It must be ;D  And although I don't get nearly as much grapefruit now as I did when it was first introduced, I still find it far more citrusy than peachy  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 07:34:18 am »
Since my IPA has both Amarillo and Simcoe in it I'm not sure now which is more peachy. I was trying to discern this yesterday as I was drinking one. Somewhat coincidentally, just yesterday I kegged an experimental one-off batch in which I blended just a little Citra in with some other hops (don't have notes with me right now) and POW! Got that mango/peach character all over the place. More pleasant this time since I used it more sparingly, and in a blend. But I still think that Citra is the key to the OPs question. Its amazing to me how powerful this hop is.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 07:37:09 am »
This is very subjective but I have a batch of Amarillo that is citrusy (grapefruit,orange,sweet). However as Fred has indicated I can also detect some peach sweetness in there as well underneath the grapefruit and orange.  ;)

I'm wondering how much variation we are seeing from crop to crop and harvest to harvest. I haven't use Citra enough to give an accurate flavor profile but I wasn't very impressed with it.
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 07:43:44 am »
More pleasant this time since I used it more sparingly, and in a blend. But I still think that Citra is the key to the OPs question. Its amazing to me how powerful this hop is.

Can you convert "sparingly" to either metric or imperial units?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 10:42:08 am »
It sounds like it's the Citra to me.  Just ordered a pound from hopsdirect.com  Thanks guys.  I'll repost after I brew it and let you guys know.  It seems like most of the posters don't like that flavor, but I thought it was awesome!!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 11:10:28 am »
I personally like fruity flavors and aromas, so Citra sits well with me, too.  I think it does best when used along with other hops (like simcoe, summit, cascade, centennial, and/or amarillo, for example).  I personally love SN Torpedo Extra IPA, though, like some have suggested, I have noticed some variability in the fruity/citra character of that beer since it first came out a few years ago.  I don't know how much of that is due to hop variability from year to year versus recipe changes at SN.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 05:59:49 pm »
I've used all Amarillo and only once has it had what I would call an apricot flavor, no grapefruit to it at all that time and it was the first batch I made after opening and dividing my pound up into smaller quantities.  I've tried to reproduce it so many times that it just irritates me to even think about trying it again.  I haven't been able to reproduce it since that first time, everybody liked it. 

I think it was the freshness of the hops as well as the age of the yeast which was US-05 also.  I think it may have been under-pitched due to the age of the yeast perhaps.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 10:28:17 am »
I personally like fruity flavors and aromas, so Citra sits well with me, too.  I think it does best when used along with other hops (like simcoe, summit, cascade, centennial, and/or amarillo, for example).  I personally love SN Torpedo Extra IPA, though, like some have suggested, I have noticed some variability in the fruity/citra character of that beer since it first came out a few years ago.  I don't know how much of that is due to hop variability from year to year versus recipe changes at SN.

I like them too sometimes, I'll have to try some Citra I guess but another cause can be esters from underpitching or fermenting temperatures... think brew like a monk.   As much as we claim to most of us probably can't be sure 100% what temperature we ferment at and yeast viability is another S.W.A.G... especially if its sat more than a month or so.  JMO...

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 01:36:16 pm »
I recall some peach/apricot notes from an Avery Dugana I had recently.  Good stuff.  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »
All of the replies focus on hops.  OP does not mention which yeast he used in the original recipe.  It is extremely possible that the yeast AND hops used caused the prominence of peach flavor.  You need to try to reproduce the recipe (as close to) exactly as it was first brewed.

BTW Keith is right. yuck.

edit for typo (English major)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:14:58 pm by Bret »
Member #: 900000767