Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My BK pickup is finally done  (Read 7479 times)

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
My BK pickup is finally done
« on: November 30, 2009, 08:34:58 am »

Not Sure if it is easier than hopbags, but I will definately get better utilization.  I got good flow if I stired a little on top of the T.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My BK pickup is finally done
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:25:55 am »
So, does that not clog up?  Every time I've tried using braid in the kettle it seems to clog almost instantly.  I'd sure like to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:33 am »
It does clog to an extent.  But if you stir at the top of the "T," there is so much surface area, that you keep good flow.

I saw a friend using a single braid boasting that it won't clog.  We were using the funnel by the end of filling his 2nd carboy.

That is where I got this idea from.  2  inlets seems to work well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 09:49:46 am »
Cool, thanks for the tip!  When I can overcome my laziness, I think I'll give it a try!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 10:23:47 am »
I like to keep my Bazooka screen along the side. That way I can whirlpool all the hops and trub into the center which helps keep the screen from clogging. Just brewed 10 gallons of double IPA without a problem.
Brew on

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 11:05:57 am »
I have a confession to make....I'm whirlpool dysfunctional!  No matter what I try, I can't get all the trub collected in the center of my kettle.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 11:14:04 am »
I have a confession to make....I'm whirlpool dysfunctional!  No matter what I try, I can't get all the trub collected in the center of my kettle.
Commercial brewers whirlpool with hot wort.
There is something about hot liquid and better cone.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 03:18:46 pm »
So, does that not clog up?  Every time I've tried using braid in the kettle it seems to clog almost instantly.  I'd sure like to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

you're using pellets.

use whole hops, problem solved  ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:45:00 am »

you're using pellets.

Actually, I use both and it doesn't make any difference when I've tried a braid.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 01:13:05 pm »

you're using pellets.

Actually, I use both and it doesn't make any difference when I've tried a braid.

hmm.. - i use a bazooka T with no issues, unless I use all pellets...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 02:25:13 pm »

+1. I can't get a cone to save my life. I normally just end up getting ticked off and dump all the crap in the fermentor.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 10:01:06 am »
hmm.. - i use a bazooka T with no issues, unless I use all pellets...

I've tried on of those and it does seem to work OK with whole hops until I started using a pump.  Then it sucked the hops down onto the screen and clogged.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 12:30:59 pm »
I've tried on of those and it does seem to work OK with whole hops until I started using a pump.  Then it sucked the hops down onto the screen and clogged.

See where technology gets you Denny?  :D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 12:49:28 pm »
Man, that was my first thought when it happened!!!  But I just switched back to the side pickup and hop bags and everything is cool.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Matt B

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 02:14:25 pm »
I had the same problems with the braided hose, kept clogging, both in my mash tun and boil kettle. in the mash tun I've switched to a copper manifold with slots on the bottom, and the boil kettle I went and bought a $20 stainless splash guard from bed bath bulls*** and more (also available on amazon), ripped the handle off, welded on a piece of stainless to plug up the opening where the handle was (though you could probably use food grade silicone to seal it up as well) cut a small hole in the top for my pickup and works like a charm! I also am completely cone incapable, but ah well. beats the $80 false bottom that home brew stores sell, even if they are a bit beefier.