Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What a job!  (Read 3826 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
What a job!
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:12:07 pm »
  Just sitting here this morning, and thinknig.....I have the best job ever!! I mean honestly.....I sit in my Lazy-Boy, in the mancave, with the TV on, while I work. Last night, I was even sipping on a Fat Tire. I really should feel quilty about collecting a paycheck. I don't, but I should. And for what I do, the money ain't bad. I make between 13 and 17 and hour! That's not much less than I was making in the sheet metal shop. Right now, I have a chance to get on Union Pacific Railroad, starting as a switchman. But honestly, I really have to think about, I have such a good thing going. Money's not everything, right? Am I insane for thinking this way? 
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What a job!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:13:30 pm »
You, sir, would be insane to do anything else!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:17:54 pm »
You refering to the gig I have now, or the railroad? I mean, the railroad is much more of a "manly" job than I have now, and the pay is better down the road.....but where else can you drink beer, watch football, and get paid?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 12:26:26 pm »
I mean you'd be insane to do anything other than you're doing now!  Unless the railroad job ended up being a LOT more money...you're young enough that might be a consideration.  But from an old fart perspective, you've got a perfect job.  And "manly"????  WTF???  If you need to define your "manliness" by a job, you might as well wear a skirt!  Oh, yeah, the kilt.... ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:37:27 pm »
No offense but your job sounds like a living hell to me. Coarse I dont watch much TV. What do you do again?

I am not the type that can sit around. I cant hold an office job, I tried that. In fact I cant hold any job where you have to go into the same place and do the same thing every day. I have a lot of respect for those who can.

I have to get out of the house, I will get board just between dinner and bedtime. Gotta go out and kick the soccer ball or something. Thats wahts great about having a kid, there is always something to do, and I usually have trouble finding time for that.

Here is me if I had your job.

Now, a switch man for the railroad? Thats sounds awesome! In fact when I was a kid that is what I wanted to do;work on the railroad. It was like my Fireman or astronaut.

Take the train weaze, take the train.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 12:50:48 pm »
The railroad means security down the road. And I think you don't need to shell out for Social Security either, but not sure on that.

I go to the same place day in day out and get paid very well. Very well indeed. Cap you would go insane at my work place.

How's this for metal-work?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 12:56:18 pm »
What do you do again?

All that crap they sell on TV, I take the orders for. From indoor turkey fries, Magic Bullet Blender, the Shaark stem vac, adult diapers, diabites supplies, penis pumps, the Scooter store, Life Alert, life insurance, you name it, I take the order for it. If you call any 800# from tv, there is a good chance you'll get me.
  As far as getting bored, it's not an issue. I work my own schedule. Work a couple hours, go kick the dog, play with the samauri, go back and work a little, go in and do some cooking or grilling, Whatever. If I don't feel like working, I don't. If I decide I want a couple extra hours, I take em. If I want a week or two off, I take it. Maybe fly to Ohio, or go camping. This job is insane!!!

My only dislike is I tend to blush a little when I tell people what I do. I've been doing HVAC / sheetmetal since I was 15. Very physical, and "manly". I just sort of feel like I've been neutered with this job. (remember my old hot chocolate and blanket thread at NB) So, long as you guys think I can hold my head high, I FREAKING LOVE MY JOB!!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:03:26 pm by weazletoe »

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:59:35 pm »
The railroad means security down the road. And I think you don't need to shell out for Social Security either, but not sure on that.

I go to the same place day in day out and get paid very well. Very well indeed. Cap you would go insane at my work place.

How's this for metal-work?

Euge, you a surgeon? That fabrication is awesome. Im not sure I could do that. Does the leg stay bent or am I seeing it incorrectly.. The denser material is metal and that is an entirely new joint?

Is that a leg?

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 01:09:50 pm »
What do you do again?

All that crap they sell on TV, I take the orders for. From indoor turkey fries, Magic Bullet Blender, the Shaark stem vac, adult diapers, diabites supplies, penis pumps, the Scooter store, Life Alert, life insurance, you name it, I take the order for it. If you call any 800# from tv, there is a good chance you'll get me.
  As far as getting bored, it's not an issue. I work my own schedule. Work a couple hours, go kick the dog, play with the samauri, go back and work a little, go in and do some cooking or grilling, Whatever. If I don't feel like working, I don't. If I decide I want a couple extra hours, I take em. If I want a week or two off, I take it. Maybe fly to Ohio, or go camping. This job is insane!!!

My only dislike is I tend to blush a little when I tell people what I do. I've been doing HVAC / sheetmetal since I was 15. Very physical, and "manly". I just sort of feel like I've been neutered with this job. (remember my old hot chocolate and blanket thread at NB) So, long as you guys think I can hold my head high, I FREAKING LOVE MY JOB!!

As far as Im concerned someone should hold their head high even if they are a turd counter at the local sewer plant.

Its not what you do that makes the man, its how you do it.

Im just wondering how long you can do that job before Holly  comes home to find you spreading mayonnaise on you pubis.

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 01:11:04 pm »
Time to change the sig line Weeze.  It just doesn't apply now- "A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend."

My father in law is a retired sheet metal man (mostly welder).  Its hard on the body.  I say move on.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 01:11:14 pm »
LMAO! Thanks Cappo, you've made me feel better.

I could change my sig to "A man doesn't wear pants at work all week, or all weekend."

I've often tried to imagine the look of horror on the callers faces if they could see me. I'm sure they think they are talking to someone working in a cubicle, in a highrise in Atlanta, or some place. Not some fat slob, pantless, in his backyard in BF Idaho!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:13:58 pm by weazletoe »

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 01:21:19 pm »
I'm guessing they think you're in India

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 01:22:23 pm »
I speak perfectly fine English, thank you very much.  ::)

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »
That's why they don't think you're in Omaha

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 01:28:30 pm »
Weaze that sounds great! Make your own hours. Only drawback is don't work- don't get paid. I know what I'm doing if I change careers. ;)

Cap I'm not a surgeon, though they often use me- other wise they end up with botched surgeries like the one in the radiograph. That's a "total elbow" prosthesis and all is not well. Shocking actually.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis