Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DVR questions  (Read 5898 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
DVR questions
« on: December 03, 2010, 10:38:22 am »
So, still living in the past, we're a 2 VHS household. But that can't last forever, so I've been thinking DVR and I need some edumacation. We get our cable signal from a VERY small local co. called Countryvision run by a family out of their garage. No Comcast, no Dish Network, etc. We don't use a cable box, just the tuner on the TV. So, what are my options for a DVR in that situation? what have you got and how do you like it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: DVR questions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 10:46:13 am »
Comcast for me Denny. 

I used it for the first time a couple weeks back to record Brewmasters.  Works great...I can fast-forward through all the commercials which is a plus.  I don't watch very much TV but the wife wanted it so I agreed to get it.

Makes life alot easier as I can record and watch when I have time.  I can get you the price breakdown if you're interested.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:16:16 am »
Ron, I can't get Comcast or anything but the cable I already have.  Not even decent satellite reception.  I guess what I really want is a digital version of my VHS decks.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 11:22:58 am »
I presume you've contacted your current service provider and asked them if they could offer some alternatives.

How about this outfit.

http://www.usdirect.com/directv/or-eugene-direct-tv.html
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:36:47 am »
Denny, I think you might need something like Tivo
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 11:41:41 am »
Thanks, Ron, I've checked into that before but no service where I live.  Euge, I really don't want to pay a monthly fee like Tivo.  Yeah, I know I'm being difficult!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:43:38 am »
Thanks, Ron, I've checked into that before but no service where I live.  Euge, I really don't want to pay a monthly fee like Tivo.  Yeah, I know I'm being difficult!

Good luck.  We just get over-the-air programming and just try and find a DVR that'll support that :(
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:55:37 am »
Well, Denny if you have an extra PC laying around you could install something like MythTV. All you would need to do is buy a tuner card and they're fairly cheap.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dj99

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:09:48 pm »
Good luck.  We just get over-the-air programming and just try and find a DVR that'll support that :(

I've been using Snapstream Beyond TV on my Windows machine hooked up to the TV for years now for over-the-air TV.  It supports many tuner cards with ATSC & QAM.  The guide is free, and there are no monthly fees.  Netflix looks really good this way also.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:12:26 pm by dj99 »
I loves to Homebrew!
(in SW Washington)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 12:25:56 pm »
Well, Denny if you have an extra PC laying around you could install something like MythTV. All you would need to do is buy a tuner card and they're fairly cheap.

Yeah, that's something else I've considered, but a place to put it is the problem.  I have a pretty difficult set of circumstances to deal with, but I really appreciate all the suggestions.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 12:47:34 pm »
I know you said your provider is a pretty small outfit, but would they not have some options for you.  Surely some of there other customers would be interested in a DVR too?...

They might at least have the contacts and the volume buying power to get their customers a set-top cable box.  I don't believe (but I'm not positive) that your provider would need any infrastructure upgrades.  After all, a DVR is essentially just a hard drive and video card.

My DVR has 2 tuners in it, so that I can watch one program and record another, or record 2 programs and watch something else I've already recorded.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 01:13:41 pm »
I just sent my provider an email so we'll see what they say.  I'm kinda skeptical, though.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 02:02:14 pm »
There are several computer based options.  Euge mention MythTV which works great but requires you to run Linux.  Linux scares some people.  You can also run MS Media Center on on Vista or Windows 7 but it also requires a TV Tuner card.  A third option is Apple TV if you're a Mac dude.

There are many options for Digital Video Recorders.  The trick is finding one with a hard drive so you don't have to by a never ending supply of DVD-Rs.  Another feature of many of these is they come with built-in NetFlix and Pandora and stuff like that.  Amazon has a resonable selection to get a feel for what's out there: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_38?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=digital+video+recorder+with+hard+drive&x=0&y=0&sprefix=digital+video+recorder+with+hard+drive .

I use Media Center at the moment because it came with the PC which also has a HD/NTSC TV Tuner Card in it.  We play the video back on the big screen with a laptop that has a HDMI port on it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 02:05:46 pm »
I have a DVD recorder at the moment, but I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require me to buy DVDs.  I do use the recorder for stuff I want to keep, but for everyday watch it once and delete it stuff it's not a good solution.  OTOH, that will take erasable DVDs.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 05:15:16 pm »
Hey Denny, I left my DVR in Ohio. I can give ya a website, and some simple instructions, so you can download pretty much anything you ever wanted to watch. Fact is, I hardly ever watch a television broadcast at all anymore. The day after the show airs, I download it, and watch it at my leisure. Leftme know if you're interested.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.