Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone Watch 'Brew Masters' Last Night?  (Read 16359 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Anyone Watch 'Brew Masters' Last Night?
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2010, 09:14:17 am »
I finally got around to watching the chica episode last night.  Thought it was pretty good although I was also somewhat grossed out during portions.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline myh3adhur7s

• Cellarman
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2010, 12:36:38 am »
Well i must say it. The show is a huge advertisement for dogfish head. with that being said i am interseted in it because watching it gives me ideas for possible future brew. And also I think that the show may also help the homebrewing community get new members and people interested in it. And also for the craft beer scene.

the only other down side which i know has been brought up is that is if it is just Sam jetsetting around for new items to brew with it may get very old fast.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2010, 01:49:56 am »
I finally got around to watching the chica episode last night.  Thought it was pretty good although I was also somewhat grossed out during portions.

Me too.

I liked both episodes, but my wife LOVED them, and I think for someone just getting in to beer and beer culture, it's an excellent primer. Tell ya what, Sam is starting to grow on me.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2010, 01:03:58 pm »
I wasn't too impressed with the fist episode, other than the hunt for the little metal rod. But I enjoyed the second, Chica, episode.
Aside from the chewing and spitting of the corn, they showed one lady that let the corn germinate then used it to brew Chica. No saliva involved. Might be interesting to make a small batch that way.

I haven't watched the third episode yet, but am interested in seeing how DFH makes it Punkin Ale.
Tulsa, OK

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2010, 01:25:22 pm »
Are some of you guys getting the next show before Sunday's normal broadcast schedule?  I keep hearing of another slot on Monday night or something, but I can't find it in the guides.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2010, 05:18:43 pm »
... then distill it...

For the folks who rant about this being just a DFH infomercial...I sense some jealousy!

Not jealous at all. As much as I used to love American Chopper, I'd be the first to tell you it's an hour long Orange County Chopper Comercial. How could I ever be jealous of a guy running a succesful brewery, living the American dream, doing exactly what I want to be doing, and living the life or a rockstar, with millions of dollars? Wait a minute........that hardly supports my argument at all............ ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2010, 01:35:29 am »
Are some of you guys getting the next show before Sunday's normal broadcast schedule?  I keep hearing of another slot on Monday night or something, but I can't find it in the guides.
Yes, the pumpkin one aired for me on Monday, it taped automagically with the DVR.  And looking at the schedule, it looks to me like there is no Sunday night one, and #4 will be Monday (Grain to Galss)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2010, 08:57:47 am »
Watched the Chicha episode which I thought was really good.  It's really cool to see Sam on the quest to seek out an ancient recipe and bring it back home to develop it.

My DVR also automatically recorded Monday nights Punkin episode which I thought was interesting as well.  The Punkin Chunkin competition is held here in Delaware every year the first weekend in November so this episode hit close to home for me (no pun intended).  ;D

Great job Sam and DFH!  8)
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2010, 09:03:11 am »
Haven't seen an episode yet but someone told me they had employees chewing and spitting trying to replicate the chica beer... thats disgusting and, having had a little experience myself with how strict the health dept. regulations can be I just can;t see how anyone could get this through. And I also can't see anyone actually ever wanting to sample this. I certainly won't be one. Nasty!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2010, 09:15:53 am »
Don't knock it before you've tried it, Major. If there were any bugs in the spit, the boil had to kill them off, and what was left over would be killed by the alcohol. I'de kick the tires on it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2010, 09:45:25 am »
Guys... its SPIT!! SPIT!!!! Out of someone's MOUTH!!! Someone you don't even KNOW!!!

You go right ahead and try it, but leave me out.

And for crying out loud, I just can't believe the health dept. would allow this. They stick their nose in everything. Doesn;t matter if it gets boiled or now. They don;t even want you using a mash paddle unless you have a 3 bay sink large enough to hold it. One for soaking. One for sanitzing. One for rinsing. You really think they care if some dudes spit is boiled or not?

I can't believe any of you actually think this is "cool". Its freakin' NASTY!!

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2010, 09:51:43 am »
Some will say that all of DFH's crazy ingredients are a marketing ploy.  I for one think it's awesome.  Not to say that I always like what they have to offer (a $15 bottle of Fort that tasted like nail polish remover comes to mind), but the creativity is inspiring.

Love the show and enjoy Sam's energy.  It amazes me that so many people think he's douchy because they don't realize that it's not an act - he's really that nice and goofy all the time -

(BTW, the Chicha episode had me literally dry heaving - scariest thing I've ever seen on tv.  I did think it was funny that they were testing spit for amalayse enzyme though)
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2010, 10:25:22 am »
I have not seen the Chicha epeisode, but the trailers online don't bother me.

To paraphrase Bismark (I think it was him) " The things you don't want to see being made are Legislation, sausage, and Chicha". 

I have seen sausage being made on my uncle's farm.  Not a pretty sight, but I love a good Wurst.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:26 am »
I make my own sausage. Its not too bad on the homemade scale. FTR the only Chica I would consider drinking would have to be made by me as well. And even then I'd pass.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2010, 11:47:52 am »
Guys... its SPIT!! SPIT!!!! Out of someone's MOUTH!!! Someone you don't even KNOW!!

Lookm pleasuring a man one time, with a socked foot, does not make you gay! Some guys are just so uptight..... ::)