Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone Watch 'Brew Masters' Last Night?  (Read 16365 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Anyone Watch 'Brew Masters' Last Night?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 10:59:56 am »
I didn't realize it was going to be a reality show about DFH, but there was some interesting information presented. I like learning about the commercial brewing process; I'll keep watching.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the mock rap video. Did anyone notice the scene where Sam and the head brewer were taking a jacuzzi in the mash tun from their brewpub system?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 11:09:23 am »
I taped it.

People still use tape? :)

Got my season pass set on Tivo.  Couldn't watch last night because I was watching the Pats game that I Tivo'd from earlier in the day...too stressed out to watch anything else after that.

I meant to recorded on DVR.  :D

I'm still using an old VHS machine....

Denny...if you're interested in going even more retro, I have a functional Sony Beta VCR I might sell ya...
I only have 20 or so beta tapes, and the only full-length movie I have on beta is a recording of Fritz the Cat...but the machine runs great!

I did not get to see Brew Masters...I have limited basic cable, and don't get that channel  :'(
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 11:11:16 am »
I'm not retro by choice, believe me!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 11:15:49 am »

http://www.wisevid.com/play?v=1t_zJ-Attwq7

Thanks for the link - Discovery Canada is not carrying it (& probably won't for a year or two).
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 11:32:24 am »
I thought it was great. And thank goodness for DVR. The Walking Dead is on AMC at the same time.

As far as Brew Masters, I think it really showed why DFH has been successful. Sam is a helluva salesman. It looks like in the next episode or two, they're going to show them making the beer made with saliva. Should be interesting. My wife was into it too, (probably thinks Sam is good looking or whatever) and she was asking all sorts of questions about the process and also looking up b****'s Brew on her phone during a commercial to see if it was available in TX. Sadly, it's not.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 11:41:00 am »
I wanted to see it but got distracted by Top Gear. Could have DVR'd it too. By the time I snapped was 3am and toooo late...  :(

It'll air again.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 12:54:41 pm »
Yeah, it will air again, probably several times this week.

I got to try the chicha at GABF last year, it was pretty good if you can get by the gag-factor of drinking spit. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 01:09:08 pm »
I liked it and will keep watching it.  I'm hoping some other brewers get involved, but it's fine with me if it's DFH focused.  You never know, it might get more people interested in craft beer, and that's good.

It seems dumb to mix a mead with a stout. The honey would be overpowered by roasted malt. Then he adds crystal to fool people into thinking they taste the honey.  ::)
Have you tried the beer?  I liked it. :)
No, they do not distribute to Utah. I liked the show.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 01:20:26 pm »
First, let me start off by saying I haven;t seen it. And since I don't have cable TV I probably won't for a while. But what sucks is, from what I understand, the original concept of the show was going to be about different breweries across the country. And now they changed it to the "DFH" show (and perhaps, more specifically, the "Sam Calagione Show"). Would have been cool to have seen breweries and brewers from across the country. Interestingly enough, the Discovery channel had contacted a local brewery here about being on the show way back when. He agreed to do it and then never heard back.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 01:26:38 pm »
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/brew-masters/

You don't need cable.  Watch it on the internet.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 01:30:56 pm »
It seems dumb to mix a mead with a stout. The honey would be overpowered by roasted malt. Then he adds crystal to fool people into thinking they taste the honey.  ::)
Have you tried the beer?  I liked it. :)

This, by the way, is why I tend to ignore the inevitable "That'll taste terrible!" comments you get when you post recipe ideas.

I like Sam's brewing philosophy, but the previews didn't capture my interest enough to tune in. I agree that it would have een more enticing if it were different brewers and not the DFH Show. Something about variety being the spice of life or something.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 01:36:02 pm »
It seems dumb to mix a mead with a stout. The honey would be overpowered by roasted malt. Then he adds crystal to fool people into thinking they taste the honey.  ::)

That is something I didn't think at all, as I have had Tej made by an Etheopian mead maker.  It was unlike other meads.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 01:59:28 pm »

That is something I didn't think at all, as I have had Tej made by an Etheopian mead maker.  It was unlike other meads.

It showed a pound or two of the African honey, and at least 60 of orange blossom. Comments at Saver like "I don't taste the honey," and then he said "it's missing something in the middle, I'll add some crystal."  

If I just got a ton of African honey I'd have pictures.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:06:47 pm by Malticulous »

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 02:14:42 pm »
I taped it.

People still use tape? :)

Got my season pass set on Tivo.  Couldn't watch last night because I was watching the Pats game that I Tivo'd from earlier in the day...too stressed out to watch anything else after that.

I meant to recorded on DVR.  :D

I'm still using an old VHS machine....
I don't have any of that new fangled stuff.  No Tivo, no DVR and my VHS hasn't worked since my son realized that a peanut butter/jelly sandwich was the same size as a VHS cassette.  It went in easy, but it didn't come back out no matter how hard you pushed the eject button. :'(
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 02:28:31 pm »
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/brew-masters/

You don't need cable.  Watch it on the internet.

I'm also on dial up. ;)