Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 151367 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #540 on: June 18, 2012, 02:31:05 pm »
Italian beefs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought a meat slicer yesterday for bacon and other cured meat slicing, and tonight cooked up the first Italian beefs I've had in three years. NOM NOM NOM.

Phil - those beefs look tasty.  Did you serve 'em wet?

I made my own first attempt at Italian beef last week.  I do not have a slicer, but if you throw the roast into the freezer for an hour or two, you can slice it thin with a good knife.  It won't be shaved, but it works for me.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
What's For Dinner?
« Reply #541 on: June 18, 2012, 03:57:20 pm »
Joe they weren't just wet they were soaked. Only way to eat em.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #542 on: June 18, 2012, 08:08:37 pm »
Wow phil...they look delicious!  8)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #543 on: June 18, 2012, 10:36:22 pm »
Interesting using the plantains like that. Looks awesome. Must taste delicious.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2012, 03:01:29 am »
Interesting using the plantains like that. Looks awesome. Must taste delicious.

Super easy really, treat the plantain pieces just like you would fried plantains, except a bit bigger. slice a plantain in half in the middle and then along the bias, fry for ~1 minute, let cool, press between two cutting boards wrapped in saran wrap, fry again for ~2-3 minutes, keep warm, top with crappy sliced cheese, shredded iceburg lettuce and thinly sliced tomato, followed by cumin onions and skirt steak, then spread some aioli on the top plantain and voila. I think it's the garlic mayo that really completes it.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #545 on: July 12, 2012, 12:32:44 pm »
Tossed some 'za on the grill last night. first time doing pizza on a grill (gas if you are wondering) experimented both with useing a pizza stone on the grill and going straight on the grill. THey were both good. the stone made the crust a little crisper and the direct grill got some char. Well here are the pics!

Pesto with mushrooms, onions, and zukes. zukes are from the garden!

margerhita

**EDIT**
Also added about a cup of spent grain from my last ordinary bitter to the dough. next time, more, it was subtle but a nice grainy texture.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #546 on: July 12, 2012, 12:41:38 pm »
Looks tasty! My efforts at pizza on the grill were a dismal failure. How hot and how long?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #547 on: July 12, 2012, 01:38:30 pm »
Looks tasty! My efforts at pizza on the grill were a dismal failure. How hot and how long?

tried to keep it up around 500, or as hot as 2 burners out of three couild get it. took about 5-8 minutes per pie. I put a pie on, went and stretched and topped another, put that one on, stretch, top and then pull the first one off. got to get the dough really thin so it cooks quickly enough.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #548 on: July 13, 2012, 06:57:51 am »
Last time I tried pizza on a grill using the stone it didn't work very well. The bottom was so hot it burned before the cheese could even melt. I them direct fire on the charcoal now. Trick is to keep them as thin as possible. I might try doing some flat bread style and roll them with my pasta roller  ;D
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #549 on: July 13, 2012, 07:32:21 am »

tried to keep it up around 500, or as hot as 2 burners out of three couild get it. took about 5-8 minutes per pie. I put a pie on, went and stretched and topped another, put that one on, stretch, top and then pull the first one off. got to get the dough really thin so it cooks quickly enough.
They look good.  I've been meaning to try this for a while.  I would think that the crust would burn before the cheese melted too.  Does the direct heat change anything with the way you use the pizza stone?

Edited for my lack of communication skills.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:38:06 am by Delo »
Mark

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #550 on: July 13, 2012, 08:53:26 am »

They look good.  I've been meaning to try this for a while.  I would think that the crust would burn before the cheese melted too.  Does the direct heat change anything with the way you use the pizza stone?

Edited for my lack of communication skills.

I have some friends who built a really nice outdoor brick oven for pizza making. They get it up to about 800-1000 degrees before putting a pizza in and it cooks through just fine. I think the trick is to preheat the grill and pizza stone to 'lightning in a bottle' temps before trying to cook. The grill I used was one of those big three burner gas beasts and I kept the lid closed as much as possible. the ones on the stone didn't burn at all, got nice and crispy. keeping it thin is key. I tossed the dough till it was almost translucent in the middle. Just before I was afraid my hand would go right through it when I caught it on the way down.

So I cranked all three burners to max for about 20 minutes before starting and then turned off the outside two and left the middle one on high. When the temp dropped below 500 I turned the burner under the pizza stone back on for a while. which seemed to help.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #551 on: July 13, 2012, 10:25:50 am »
Good to know.   This is pretty similar to what I do in my regular oven too.  My forearm barely grazed the pizza stone and I got a really nasty burn.   I’ll have to try this soon.  Did it taste very different than pizza from a regular oven?

I would love to have brick oven.  Probably prefer it inside since I'd be making pizza every for every meal and becoming morbidly obese.  Pizza is defintely one of my weaknesses.
Mark

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #552 on: July 13, 2012, 11:45:40 am »
Good to know.   This is pretty similar to what I do in my regular oven too.  My forearm barely grazed the pizza stone and I got a really nasty burn.   I’ll have to try this soon.  Did it taste very different than pizza from a regular oven?

I would love to have brick oven.  Probably prefer it inside since I'd be making pizza every for every meal and becoming morbidly obese.  Pizza is defintely one of my weaknesses.

It was a little smokey as we had some stray pecan wood chips in there from a previous session.mostly it was nice cause it was 100 plus degrees out and I didn't want the indoor oven going
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #553 on: July 13, 2012, 11:52:24 pm »
I find the key to grilled pizza to be first cooking one side of the dough, then pull it and dress the cooked side with sauce/cheese/toppings, then put it back on raw side down.  It just takes a few minutes to melt the cheese.  A little extra oil in the dough helps too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #554 on: July 15, 2012, 09:26:54 pm »
As far as grilled pizza goes, I am by no means an expert but I've started to get comfortable with it over the past year. I usually roll out the dough, let it rest a few minutes, then roll it out again. No hand-tossing/stretching for me; I'm just not that skilled in the dough department. I don't necessarily need the dough to be paper-thin, but it can't be Chicago-deep. I cook one side just until it sets up, flip it, then top it. My favorite is actually just doing cinnamon-sugar on top - sort of like a grilled doughboy.

In other news - I cooked my first meal of the summer using ingredients out of my garden. Kitchen sink tacos - chourizo seitan with roasted anaheims, unroasted jalapenos and lime basil from the garden. Plus some local garlic and grilled corn. The sauce was some taco sauce I had laying around in the fridge thinned out with some homebrew IPA. It's what I call a "conversation starter lunch" when I bring the leftovers to work.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer