Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Denny's yeast in a Cream Ale?  (Read 5475 times)

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
Denny's yeast in a Cream Ale?
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:27:45 am »
I moved this post from the yeast section to here.

This year's annual Black Friday Brew is going to be a Cream Ale fermented with Denny's Favorite 50 yeast left over from a brown ale I did 6 weeks ago. I'm not looking to stay within all the guidelines, but I thought it'd be interesting.

What should I expect?

Black Friday 2009 - Cream Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal):         3.00    Wort Size (Gal):    3.00
Total Grain (Lbs):        5.00
Anticipated OG:          1.045    Plato:             11.26
Anticipated SRM:           5.5
Anticipated IBU:          41.6
Brewhouse Efficiency:       75 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 80.0     4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)              America        1.036      2
 10.0     0.50 lbs. Victory Malt                  America        1.034     25
 10.0     0.50 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize)           America        1.040      1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  0.50 oz.    Centennial                        Whole   10.50  34.7  60 min.
  0.50 oz.    Centennial                        Whole   10.50   6.9  5 min.

618 Country - Southern Illinois

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Denny's yeast in a Cream Ale?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:52:28 am »
If it was me, I'd kick the corn up to a lb.  The 1450 will make a great cream ale, although it may have a bit more mouthfeel than a cream ale traditionally does.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:36:08 am »
Really? I thought in 3 gallons 1/2 pound would be plenty.

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:47:50 am »
If it was me, I'd kick the corn up to a lb.  The 1450 will make a great cream ale, although it may have a bit more mouthfeel than a cream ale traditionally does.
I have to agree 20-25% corn, you will be glad you did.
With only 10% you might not even know it is in there.
Good Luck! :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:53:43 am »
Really? I thought in 3 gallons 1/2 pound would be plenty.

Oops!  Missed the 3 gal.  Still, I think 20-25% is a good range to shoot for.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:06:37 pm »
Denny - I know you've been asked this many times but how did you get...or where is the origin of this yeast strain?
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 12:17:26 pm »
Man, I should keep a text file of this somewhere!

Many years ago, I purchased a yeast ranching kit from Brewtek.  To go with, I bought some slants of yeast.  One of them was called something like CA Brewpub yeast and labeled CL-50.  I had just started developing test batches of my Rye IPA recipe and found that the CL-50 gave it a great mouthfeel while still having fermentation characteristics clean enough to let the other ingredients show through.  I started talking it up online (usenet in those days!) and as the popularity of the Rye IPA recipe grew, more and more people wanted to try the yeast.  The fact that you had to culture it from slants daunted a lot of people, though.  Brewtek went out of business and sold their strains to another company, and that company to another company.  Meanwhile, about 5 years ago, I started talking to Dave Logsdon of Wyeast about releasing it.  He was hesitant to do so when another company was still selling it.  Finally, that other company stopped selling it.  I had fresh samples in our club yeast bank, so when Wyeast called about it we gave them a sample directly from the club bank.  They cleaned it up and put it out as a VSS.  It was so popular that they brought it out again as a VSS.  It was so popular the 2nd time around that now it's gonna be a full time strain starting in about Feb.  They consulted me for a name for it and I gave them a lot of possibilities, NONE of which included my name!  I was pushing for Noti Ale Yeast, but they decided it was gonna be Denny's Favorite.  I gotta tell ya, that as a homebrewer, it's pretty damn cool to have a yeast named after you!  I'm honored....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 12:17:47 pm »
I'll give it a try with some more corn. It's instant grits, actually, and not flaked maize, if that matters. However, I'll have to use 1.5 pounds to get to 25% and that pushes my gravity to 1.055, which is more than I want, so this will likely be a 4 gallon batch.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 12:43:13 pm »

Many years ago, I purchased a yeast ranching kit from Brewtek.  To go with, I bought some slants of yeast.  One of them was called something like CA Brewpub yeast and labeled CL-50.  I had just started developing test batches of my Rye IPA recipe and found that the CL-50 gave it a great mouthfeel while still having fermentation characteristics clean enough to let the other ingredients show through.  I started talking it up online (usenet in those days!) and as the popularity of the Rye IPA recipe grew, more and more people wanted to try the yeast.  The fact that you had to culture it from slants daunted a lot of people, though.  Brewtek went out of business and sold their strains to another company, and that company to another company.  Meanwhile, about 5 years ago, I started talking to Dave Logsdon of Wyeast about releasing it.  He was hesitant to do so when another company was still selling it.  Finally, that other company stopped selling it.  I had fresh samples in our club yeast bank, so when Wyeast called about it we gave them a sample directly from the club bank.  They cleaned it up and put it out as a VSS.  It was so popular that they brought it out again as a VSS.  It was so popular the 2nd time around that now it's gonna be a full time strain starting in about Feb.  They consulted me for a name for it and I gave them a lot of possibilities, NONE of which included my name!  I was pushing for Noti Ale Yeast, but they decided it was gonna be Denny's Favorite.  I gotta tell ya, that as a homebrewer, it's pretty damn cool to have a yeast named after you!  I'm honored....

Awesome story...I'd be honored too. I've used it on your Rye IPA a few times..really good.
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 12:55:56 pm »
I know several people that have had there beers brewed professionally and that is really cool.  But only one has a yeast.

For an Old Fart, that is serious coolness.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 01:01:16 pm »
Very cool, Denny. What's going to come next? A new strain of hops call Dentenial?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 01:05:41 pm »
Very cool, Denny. What's going to come next? A new strain of hops call Dentenial?

Hey, great idea!  I'll cut ya in on the royalties!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 01:14:48 pm »
I'm in as long as one of the parent plants is TOM-ahawk!  ;D

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 03:45:48 pm »

Sorry for the thread jack here but Denny, this post reminds me!

I actually still have some original Brewtek slants!

Can't believe I have never used these 4 tubes...

They are:

CL-50
WY 3994
AL 565

Man. I wonder if I can propagate them up after about 6 years now and two hurricanes. They actually still look pretty good...

Sorry for the jack...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 04:07:29 pm »
I know somebody who's looking for CL-300 if ya run across that one!  Good luck on the 6 year old slants!

www.dennybrew.com