Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why use a rims system?  (Read 33 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Why use a rims system?
« on: Today at 11:51:31 am »
Just wondering, aside from if you want to do a step mash, why would you use a rims system? I’ve been batch sparging for the last 15 years and my mash tun only loses about 2° over the hour of mashing. My numbers and volumes are usually right on.  I make good beer (to my pallet ) and have no problem with the set up, just wondering why do people use the rims system.? Thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Why use a rims system?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:24:56 pm »
Just wondering, aside from if you want to do a step mash, why would you use a rims system? I’ve been batch sparging for the last 15 years and my mash tun only loses about 2° over the hour of mashing. My numbers and volumes are usually right on.  I make good beer (to my pallet ) and have no problem with the set up, just wondering why do people use the rims system.? Thanks.

Homebrewing is a hobby and people can choose to do it any way they like.   But in general,  I agree with you. I batch sparged in a cooler for many years. I made great beter, it was cheap, it was easy. I got a Grainfather (HERMS, not RIMS) to make brewday faster and easier, which it does. I do step mashes on it sometimes just because I can and to see if it it improves anything. I can't say it does.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell