Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flash Brewing  (Read 223 times)

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Flash Brewing
« on: July 15, 2024, 03:11:57 pm »
I see more beer has some kits they are calling flash Brew kits. They require no boil, looks like they use some specially processed DME and they have some hop extract I guess, along with your regular flavor, Aaoma and dry hops. Caught my eye because the kit they were making in the video is one of my favorites, Citra session Pale Ale. The idea sounds pretty cool. I'll be curious to see what some of the reviews are like. I would have figured by now somebody here would have tried one. I know they're new but I've been hearing about it for a couple of months without really looking at what it was. They've got quite a few kits.

https://www.morebeer.com/category/flash-brewing.html?ref=slide1

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Flash Brewing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2024, 04:46:51 pm »
No boil extract kits have been around for 50 years.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2024, 05:02:10 pm »
Do you suppose Morebeer has improved them?

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2024, 05:16:41 pm »

Yes. wait no.

maybe?

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2024, 05:53:06 pm »
Let's assume they did. 

Futher, assume that there will be people who start with these kits and want to move on to "the next level". 

There appear to be a couple of meaningful differences between the Flash Brewing™ kits and common approaches to brewing with DME/LME (e.g. clear bottles vs brown bottles).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 08:20:34 am »

Compared to?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 10:37:52 am »

Compared to?
What was available 50 years ago?  I mean, of the vendors I've dealt with, MoreBeer does seem to care about selling stuff that actually works.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2024, 10:51:14 am »
Looking at the kit ingredients: little of it was available to the American HomeBrew market 50 years ago. The ‘Hop Bite’ syringe, Citra hops, ‘Flash’ yeast (Kviek?). All recent developments.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 11:07:33 am »
Looking at the kit ingredients: little of it was available to the American HomeBrew market 50 years ago. The ‘Hop Bite’ syringe, Citra hops, ‘Flash’ yeast (Kviek?). All recent developments.
That's what I wonder about.  If you watched the video, Vito didn't try to say this is outstanding beer, but, reading between the lines, I think what he meant was this isn't bad beer and takes virtually no time and effort.

I agree, several components are things I've never used before. In fact, most.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2024, 11:16:36 am »
I guess my only real hangup is over any contamination that rides in on your ingredients. I'm guessing it depends on a combination of "sanitize your stuff" and "hit this thing with enough yeast that they'll out compete everything".

It's not for me as it's not what I enjoy about brewing, but if it serves to get someone fermenting beer, I cheer for it.

It does appear to me that the big innovations are the small packaged dose of isomerized bittering extract / hop oils and I would guess Kveik as well.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2024, 03:34:06 pm »
thinking again tho. imagine a kit/setup to get an incredibly fast -start of brewing process to finished product. i bet you could get it all done and the beer reasonably fermented in ~36 or 48 hours?

ie. from a standing start
-no-boil extract kit with hops, mix, aerate dump in carboy. - 1 hour in
-add active liquid kviek yeast at 95F.  - 1 hour 5 mins in
-your blowofftube explodes, spraying krausen everywhere - 3 hours in
-increase temp to ~110F 6 hours in
- 24 hour mark - cold crash it
-keg and carb at overpressure - at 30 hours

lol give it a few hours to carb up

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2024, 03:40:47 pm »
These kits are perfect for the people who like having relatively cheap craft beer at home but don't like brewing. It's just add water brewing.

It makes all kinds of sense to lure people back into brewing who gave it up because they don't have the time to burn a weekend day brewing and cleaning. It's not for most of us who enjoy brewing and have the time to dedicate to it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing