Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No-rinse Brewery Wash or Star-San?  (Read 153 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
No-rinse Brewery Wash or Star-San?
« on: July 13, 2024, 09:12:45 pm »
Simple question: Can No-rinse Brewery Wash be used to sanitize the equipment that comes in contact with my wort with equal capability as has Star-San? I have a good bit of brewery wash powder because I have quite a few cans of mr. beer pre-hopped syrup. You get one envelope with every can you buy. I see myself rolling my fermenter (on its long axis) in a few inches of Wash in a 22-gallon tote I have for just that purpose. I think several minutes of rolling in the Wash will provide sufficient sanitizing. Comments welcomed...

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
Re: No-rinse Brewery Wash or Star-San?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 09:46:32 pm »
I don't recall 'no-rinse brewery wash'. Do you mean One-Step cleaner?
Na zdrowie!

Online CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2024, 10:01:18 pm »
Never heard of it. Stuff I've never heard of scares me.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 07:12:35 am »
Like the others I am not clear on what brewery wash you are talking about but in general cleaners are for cleaning and sanitizers are for sanitizing... and you can not sanitize something that is not clean.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 07:32:58 am »
Never heard of it. Stuff I've never heard of scares me.

One Step has been around for a long long time. Some useit, but I'm a clean and then sanitize guy.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/one-step
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 12:06:54 pm »
One Step has been around for a long long time. Some useit, but I'm a clean and then sanitize guy.

Well, I can't say I haven't heard of it anymore.
I also prefer to clean and then sanitize. I use my glass carboys as my guide for cleaning. I wash them inside and out as clean as possible and then rinse and allow to air dry. If they have so much as a visible water spot, I know there's something there. Since they never do, I'm confident that everything I clean is equally as clean, even if I can't see like I can on the glass.  I generally then apply sanitizer only when I'm getting ready to put beer or wort in there, so after that I don't really ever look for water spots again. I can't imagine a no rinse cleaner would leave glassware as spotless as rinsing with hot water. Even if it isn't a problem, I would be reluctant to do it. But that's just me.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2024, 08:58:29 am »

Well, I can't say I haven't heard of it anymore.
I also prefer to clean and then sanitize. I use my glass carboys as my guide for cleaning. I wash them inside and out as clean as possible and then rinse and allow to air dry. If they have so much as a visible water spot, I know there's something there. Since they never do, I'm confident that everything I clean is equally as clean, even if I can't see like I can on the glass.  I generally then apply sanitizer only when I'm getting ready to put beer or wort in there, so after that I don't really ever look for water spots again. I can't imagine a no rinse cleaner would leave glassware as spotless as rinsing with hot water. Even if it isn't a problem, I would be reluctant to do it. But that's just me.
I'm also skeptical of any no-rinse cleaner, or a cleaner/sanitizer. I feel that after being cleaned, some microbes can make their way onto the surface as the item sits waiting to be used. Sanitizing immediately before using gives me much more confidence. And no-rinse cleaner just doesn't make sense to me, but that's really a separate issue.