Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extract to all-grain  (Read 320 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Extract to all-grain
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2024, 10:04:18 pm »
... 3V all-grain ...
Please define. Thank you...

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2024, 10:07:43 pm »
... 3V all-grain ...
Please define. Thank you...
Three-vessel brewing: hot liquor tank, mash tun, brew kettle.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2024, 10:42:49 pm »
OK. Had no idea, what with not being an all-grain brewist...

Online CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2024, 05:52:32 am »
OK. Had no idea, what with not being an all-grain brewist...
You don't really need three vessels, biab requires 1, and I've done it for decades with only two. A kettle and a mash tun. I put the heated strike water and grain into the mash tun and heat the sparge water in the kettle. I sparge into a six and a half gallon bucket till I can get all the sparge water into the mash tun and then dump the bucket into the kettle again. I don't have a sculpture and I have never used pumps.

I would say extract saves about an hour and a half, but if you're steeping a bunch of grains, that time is even a little less. And this post wouldn't be complete without recommending you try biab at least once. You can try it with literally nothing other than a bag, the cost of which is immediately offset, at least in part, by the savings on the malt.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2024, 07:58:54 am »
And this post wouldn't be complete without recommending you try biab at least once. You can try it with literally nothing other than a bag, the cost of which is immediately offset, at least in part, by the savings on the malt.

+1.

Seriously. If you can do extract with steeping grains, you can do BIAB with the same hardware (plus a bag, of course).
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2024, 08:25:38 am »
And this post wouldn't be complete without recommending you try biab at least once. You can try it with literally nothing other than a bag, the cost of which is immediately offset, at least in part, by the savings on the malt.

+1.

Seriously. If you can do extract with steeping grains, you can do BIAB with the same hardware (plus a bag, of course).
Typically you'd need a bigger kettle, and maybe a block and tackle. Depends on batch size.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2024, 09:40:26 am »
Typically you'd need a bigger kettle, and maybe a block and tackle. Depends on batch size.

Depends on what you're setting as the independent variable.  For a first, low-cost foray into BIAB, I'd define batch size as a function of the existing kettle size. 

Vbatch = 𝑓(Vkettle)
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2024, 02:16:27 pm »

Depends on what you're setting as the independent variable.  For a first, low-cost foray into BIAB, I'd define batch size as a function of the existing kettle size. 

Vbatch = 𝑓(Vkettle)

I see what you mean. I went to BIAB when I started doing 2.5 gallon batches.

Offline pv

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2024, 08:17:44 am »
Started in the late 90's with 2 extract batches (not kits).  Then extract with specialty grains for the next 68 batches (with a 20-yr break somewhere in the middle).  Been all-grain since.
Upstate South Carolina

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2024, 08:46:37 am »

+1.

My normal batch is three gallons, biab, stove top: works great.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:22:12 pm »
I brewed exclusively with extract and steeping grains for two or three years. Then on and off for another two or three with all grain batch sparge batches mixed in.

Now, I am mainly doing half batches on my stovetop using BIAB kind of like Steve. Just bottled a half batch of Pattinson's 1971 Bodds recipe. Much easier on the back and minimal equipment.

I would have no problem doing another extract batch though as I've had some very good extract brews.