Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bob Pease retires  (Read 370 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Bob Pease retires
« on: July 10, 2024, 01:42:38 pm »
What will this mean for the AHA?

Bob Pease announced his retirement and plans to step down from his role as the chief executive officer of the Brewers Association (BA), the trade organization representing small and independent craft brewers. Pease will leave his position in early 2025, once his successor is in the role.

“After careful consideration, I believe it is time to help this great association transition to new leadership and for me to move on to new endeavors,” Pease wrote in a press statement released by the BA. “Over the last three decades, I have witnessed the Brewers Association grow from a small, narrowly focused association to one that is now a power player on important issues facing the industry domestically and internationally. Throughout my time at the helm of the Brewers Association, we have helped our members navigate explosive growth and unprecedented challenges. In doing so, we have put the BA on the map as a political force. Representing this iconic community, its brands, and the incredible people who embody passion in their craft has been an absolute honor. I look forward to seeing continued success in the industry.”

Pease started with the BA in 1993 as a customer service manager, working through various positions in the organization before his promotion to vice president in 1999, COO in 2010, and CEO in 2014. During his tenure, the organization turned its focus to creating a stronger relationship with federal regulatory authorities and representatives. Pease helped create the House and Senate Small Brewers Caucus in 2007, which is one of the largest member caucuses in Congress. He also helped advocate for federal excise tax relief for craft brewers through the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act, which became law in 2017 and made permanent in 2020. Pease also helped establish the association’s export development program, which promotes craft beer outside of the United States.

During his tenure, the organization has also seen struggles. The COVID-19 pandemic hit the association hard. It laid off nearly a quarter of its staff in April 2020, including many long-time employees including Julia Herz. She was later re-hired to run the American Homebrewers Association (AHA). The BA’s signature event and primary source of revenue, the Great American Beer Festival, has experienced diminished attendance even before the pandemic, hitting a peak of 60,000 attendees in 2018 over four sessions. In 2023, the GABF saw attendance of less than 40,000. The association announced this year that it would reduce the number of GABF sessions to three. Attendance has similarly dropped at its Craft Brewers Conference events in recent years. In 2024, the BA through its AHA announced that it would put its annual Homebrew Con on hiatus in favor of smaller events and demonstrations located within the GABF.

Pease has also come under criticism by some for the share of attention the association pays to the interests of its larger members. In 2020, Pease and the BA also received substantial criticism for the lack of diversity within its organizational structure and for a perceived lack of broader efforts to promote diversity and foster inclusivity in the craft beer industry. In an interview with BeerEdge in 2020, Pease addressed these criticisms in an interview that gained substantial attention.

The association plans an extensive search for a new CEO, including outside candidates. There are also internal candidates, including Chief Economist Bart Watson, who are under consideration.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 04:48:10 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Bob Pease resigns
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 03:17:48 pm »
Never heard of him. 

PS. No ill will towards Bob. I am sure he was a great guy.

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Bob Pease resigns
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 03:27:14 pm »
I'm in the same boat as tommymorris... I'm more familiar with the AHA org.  (And I'm certainly not an expert on that!)

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 04:02:27 pm »
Bob ran the BA, which runs the AHA. Decisions he made had an effect on the AHA.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 05:01:17 am »
I never heard of Bob Pease but, then, I've never heard of a lot of people.
The relationship between BA and AHA probably made sense in the beginning but now I think that AHA is in danger of "disappearing" within the BA.
After 10 plus years of membership in AHA, I also allowed my membership to lapse as membership was no longer relevant to me.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 03:14:50 pm »
All we are saying is Give Pease a Chance.

We did. It wasn't good. Pun aside.

Do you anticipate that things will change for the better?

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 03:55:14 pm »
All we are saying is Give Pease a Chance.

We did. It wasn't good. Pun aside.

Do you anticipate that things will change for the better?

I hope. We'll see.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2024, 03:58:51 pm »
Change is good; congrats to anyone who decides it's time to retire if that is what they want to do!  I would never want to have a job like his so I can't necessary criticize...