Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: is a plate chiller more, the same or less work than an immersion chiller?  (Read 685 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
is a plate chiller more, the same or less work than an immersion chiller?

including the disassembly/cleaning/drying/reassembly?

does it have any downsides?

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
I got rid of my Dudadiesel plate chiller. I could never be certain that it was cleaned inside no matter how much PBW, boiling water, back flushing, baking I did. If I can't see it to confirm that it's clean then its not clean in my mind. I  bought a Jaded Hydra and it works almost as fast as any plate or counterflow chiller that I've ever owned.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
I got rid of my Dudadiesel plate chiller. I could never be certain that it was cleaned inside no matter how much PBW, boiling water, back flushing, baking I did. If I can't see it to confirm that it's clean then its not clean in my mind. I  bought a Jaded Hydra and it works almost as fast as any plate or counterflow chiller that I've ever owned.
That looks really cool, and the additional smaller diameter tubing is almost certainly more efficient. I like it. I am also partial to being able to see if it's clean or not.  I suppose I could just trust PBW, but I get a bad feeling about that.

I have a similar one in 1/2" copper that I've used for ages. It works great, but I wish I had a good way to run icewater at the end to help speed things along.  I've just never set up for it. I bought an entire home brew setup this past weekend which includes a counterflow chiller and an immersion chiller.  I might run through the immersion chiller in a bucket of icewater into my copper chiller when things get down below about 90f and see if that works.  I hate the idea of more apparatus though... And the ice production/storage...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
My experience is that it's much more work. I used one for a while,  but got rid of it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
Thank you everyone, I think I just liked the compact idea of it, and being able to transfer right after boil ( if that is even true ?)

I should probably just get an improved immersion chiller

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
I've heard that you need to be careful to keep plate chillers from getting clogged with hops. 

I've never used a plate chiller, but I recently upgraded to an all-stainless CFC because it seems easier to clean and sanitize, even though I can't visually inspect the insides.  Plate chillers sound neat, but I was concerned about cleaning.  I can be a little anal retentive about things like that.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Even with my copper immersion chiller I can't get below about 73 or 74 in the summer time in Pennsylvania. Not without wasting unlimited water anyway. So no matter what I still have to cool things down a little bit before I pitch yeast. I have to assume anybody south of me has a situation that's worse. And that's definitely a majority of people in the USA if not worldwide. 9 months out of the year I can have the beer down to 66 or 68 in a matter of 10 to 12 minutes. And that's a 12 gallon batch. The groundwater is plenty cold but it does get warmed up as it gets to the surface in the summertime. If you're pulling from a well it's probably different, but I'm not, I'm on City water. So it's only so far underground and it's not that cold. At least not when it's 97 outside like it is today.

I don't know how the people with plate chillers and counterflow chillers handle the output temperature, but unless you're willing to run it back through, you get what you get. With an immersion Chiller you decide when to stop. I don't know if that's best but it certainly works for me.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 05:04:16 pm by CounterPressure »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
I have a plate cooler by Blichman and I would never give it up.  The process is simple — use a muslin bag for hop additions. It’s that simple.  In the winter, when the cold water temperature is around 60-65°, I can cool 5.5 gallons of boiling wort down to 65° in about a minute and a half into the fermenter. Care is taken to protect the plate cooler up front (muslin bag, back flush, circulate PBW, etc.) and for me, it’s the most economical way of chilling wort.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Chilling wort is one reason I am glad I have an almost 400' well. I get water around 50-55F year round.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Thank you everyone, I think I just liked the compact idea of it, and being able to transfer right after boil ( if that is even true ?)

I should probably just get an improved immersion chiller

Get a Jaded Hydra. Nearly as fast as a plate or CFC and a lot easier.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Chilling wort is one reason I am glad I have an almost 400' well. I get water around 50-55F year round.

Same here, only 100 ft.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
I have a plate cooler by Blichman and I would never give it up.  The process is simple — use a muslin bag for hop additions. It’s that simple.  In the winter, when the cold water temperature is around 60-65°, I can cool 5.5 gallons of boiling wort down to 65° in about a minute and a half into the fermenter. Care is taken to protect the plate cooler up front (muslin bag, back flush, circulate PBW, etc.) and for me, it’s the most economical way of chilling wort.
Same here. I’ve been using mine for 7 years. I’ve never had hops clog it up. After using it I back flush with a hose and then put back in place and recirculate cleaner through it while also cleaning my BK. When ready to brew again, I recirculate iodophor through my fermenter and plate chiller. I’ve never had an issue with contamination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
I have an electric brewing system with a plate chiller and like it. I use a pump for everything and pump boiling wort through it to sanitize and then when Im done brewing I circulate very hot oxiclean water and then sanitizer. For me, I see no reason to switch. The palte chiller is less work for me since its part of my system that Im pumping wort/cleaner/sanitizer through anyways and its considerably smaller than a I/C
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 05:12:31 pm by Cliffs »

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
Been using the Blichmann plate chiller since first available many years ago.
My water runs about 80 degrees straight out of the tap so need to pre-chill.
The plate chiller works very well in my set up and I give it a thumbs up.
Downside - no matter how much PBW you run thru; it never gets really clean inside.
Discovered this the first time I ran caustic through and was amazed the crud that came out.
Now once a year I run caustic through any equipment I cannot visually inspect.

---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
I was under the impression PBW is Caustic cleaner. What have I been missing?