Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming amount based on fermentation temperature  (Read 250 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Priming amount based on fermentation temperature
« on: July 06, 2024, 08:59:49 am »
I've read a couple places that the amount of priming sugar should vary depending on the highest fermentation temperature. How dies that affect it? Higher temp takes more sugar or less?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Priming amount based on fermentation temperature
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 09:22:03 am »

CO2 escapes from solution faster at higher temperatures. Hence, a warmer ferment will leave less CO2 in the beer and therefore require more sugar to carbonate.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 09:37:13 am »

CO2 escapes from solution faster at higher temperatures. Hence, a warmer ferment will leave less CO2 in the beer and therefore require more sugar to carbonate.

Came here to say this
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2024, 06:18:55 am »
I have never adjusted for temperature and it’s usually been just fine. When determining priming sugar amount, I tend to round down a bit because gushers suck.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024, 08:27:51 am »

That makes sense. 👍👍
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2024, 08:32:13 am »
I have never adjusted for temperature and it’s usually been just fine. When determining priming sugar amount, I tend to round down a bit because gushers suck.
I usually don't either, but my last couple of batches have seemed to be a bit under carbed. They both fermented at higher temperatures than previous batches earlier in the year.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2024, 08:36:42 am »

I didn't for many years. Sometimes I was under carbed, sometimes over. Carb became much more consistent once I started compensating.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2024, 09:23:52 am »
There seems to be some uncertainty about what temperature to use if the beer was cold crashed. According to Brewer's Friend priming calculator site (https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/):
"The beer you are about to package already contains some CO2 since it is a naturally occurring byproduct of fermentation. The amount is temperature dependent. The temperature to enter is usually the fermentation temperature of the beer, but might also be the current temperature of the beer. If the fermentation temperature and the current beer temperature are the same life is simple.

However, if the beer was cold crashed, or put through a diacetyl rest, or the temperature changed for some other reason... you will need to use your judgment to decide which temperature is most representative. During cold crashing, some of the CO2 in the head space will go back into the beer. If you cold crashed for a very long time this may represent a significant increase in dissolved CO2. There is a lot of online debate about this and the internet is thin on concrete answers backed by research. We are open to improving the calculator so please let us know of any sources that clarify this point."

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2024, 01:42:33 pm »
There seems to be some uncertainty about what temperature to use if the beer was cold crashed. According to Brewer's Friend priming calculator site (https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/):
"The beer you are about to package already contains some CO2 since it is a naturally occurring byproduct of fermentation. The amount is temperature dependent. The temperature to enter is usually the fermentation temperature of the beer, but might also be the current temperature of the beer. If the fermentation temperature and the current beer temperature are the same life is simple.

However, if the beer was cold crashed, or put through a diacetyl rest, or the temperature changed for some other reason... you will need to use your judgment to decide which temperature is most representative. During cold crashing, some of the CO2 in the head space will go back into the beer. If you cold crashed for a very long time this may represent a significant increase in dissolved CO2. There is a lot of online debate about this and the internet is thin on concrete answers backed by research. We are open to improving the calculator so please let us know of any sources that clarify this point."

Doesn't that assume a completely closed environment,  where CO2 is released from the beer, but can't go anywhere so it's reabsorbed? If you're using an airlock, it will escape, so cold crashing won"t have much, if any, CO2 to reabsorb.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2024, 03:00:24 pm »
Do many people cold crash before bottle conditioning?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2024, 04:00:04 pm »
Do many people cold crash before bottle conditioning?

Yes, many.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2024, 06:02:04 pm »

Doesn't that assume a completely closed environment,  where CO2 is released from the beer, but can't go anywhere so it's reabsorbed? If you're using an airlock, it will escape, so cold crashing won"t have much, if any, CO2 to reabsorb.
I, and I suspect many other people, use an anti-suckback CO2 source to keep the headspace filled with  CO2 at atmospheric pressure during a cold crash. I use a mylar balloon that is filled with CO2 from fermentation. I know that CO2 is drawn from the balloon as the beer cools down, due to the shrinkage of the liquid and gas. Even once at 34F the balloon continues to empty for a couple of days as the CO2 is absorbed into the liquid. I don't have any quantitative data, but I know the effect is significant. I cold crash every batch, whether kegging or bottling. I like the nice compact yeast cake it generates, while still leaving enough yeast in the beer to bottle condition.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's