Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess' Heritage Gold  (Read 629 times)

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Re: Briess' Heritage Gold
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2024, 08:12:15 pm »
Are you sure you're not comparing Lovibond vs EBC  or something like that? Briess Munich is a little high at 10L, but Great Western is 7.9L. Briess Vienna is 3.5 L and Weyermann lists a range of 2.7-3.8 Lovibond for their Munich. Swaen is 4-5L for theirs. There are differences from maltster to maltster for sure, but I've never noticed a drastic trend across the board for domestic vs European maltsters.
I don't mean every malt they make,  but compare say Weyermann Munich and Vienna to Briess. Light Munich, dark Munich, both maltsters have a malt described as light or dark. But the domestic light is comparable to the import dark. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2024, 05:08:02 am »
that SRM is quite a bit higher than simpsons Golden promise. Surprised at that if they are trying to make this a domestic replacement for it
That's actually pretty common across the board. Take a look at any domestic Munich and it will be dramatically higher SRM for the same roast description. European will be seven, domestic is 12 to 15. European is 12 for the dark, domestic is 25 let's say. The same thing for Vienna, and I don't know the reasoning for that.
Are you sure you're not comparing Lovibond vs EBC  or something like that? Briess Munich is a little high at 10L, but Great Western is 7.9L. Briess Vienna is 3.5 L and Weyermann lists a range of 2.7-3.8 Lovibond for their Munich. Swaen is 4-5L for theirs. There are differences from maltster to maltster for sure, but I've never noticed a drastic trend across the board for domestic vs European maltsters.

Those Weyermann numbers didn't look right to me, so I looked, and those aren't right.

https://www.weyermann.de/en-us/product/weyermann-munich-malt-type-1-2/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2024, 05:53:07 am »
Bonlander Munich (light) is 10L vs Weyermann Munich 1 at 5-6.9.  Munich 2 (dark) is 8-10 vs Aromatic malt (Briess dark) @ 20L.  I do believe it was Dr Axel Goehler who noted the Eu maltsters kiln those malts lighter than US ones, and gave reasons for it, though I can't recall the reasons. Might have been tradition. It just happens that those are the two brands I use most, and more than once my "inventory" hasn't crossed over well when I needed to make a substitution. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2024, 02:40:45 pm »
Bonlander Munich (light) is 10L vs Weyermann Munich 1 at 5-6.9.  Munich 2 (dark) is 8-10 vs Aromatic malt (Briess dark) @ 20L.  I do believe it was Dr Axel Goehler who noted the Eu maltsters kiln those malts lighter than US ones, and gave reasons for it, though I can't recall the reasons. Might have been tradition. It just happens that those are the two brands I use most, and more than once my "inventory" hasn't crossed over well when I needed to make a substitution.
Aromatic malt isn't the same as dark Munich. It's comparable to Melanoiden malt. Bonlander seems to split the difference between a Light and a Dark Munich.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2024, 02:41:24 pm »
that SRM is quite a bit higher than simpsons Golden promise. Surprised at that if they are trying to make this a domestic replacement for it
That's actually pretty common across the board. Take a look at any domestic Munich and it will be dramatically higher SRM for the same roast description. European will be seven, domestic is 12 to 15. European is 12 for the dark, domestic is 25 let's say. The same thing for Vienna, and I don't know the reasoning for that.

Those Weyermann numbers didn't look right to me, so I looked, and those aren't right.

Yeah, that was mistyped. That should have said Weyermann Vienna, not Munich
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2024, 08:19:05 pm »

Yeah, that was mistyped. That should have said Weyermann Vienna, not Munich
Ah, that explains it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!