Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Has Anyone Brewed Anything From Ron Pattinson's HB's Guide to Vintage Beer?  (Read 989 times)

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Just curious if anyone has attempted to brew any of the recipes in there.  I typically do kit porters and stouts, but might see if I can't do one of his 1880s-1920s porter recipes.  Some appear do-able with contemporary available malts.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
I have not brewed any of these YET, but several of them are on my list to brew someday.  He collected a lot of very interesting recipes and I've at least been inspired by some of them, if not brewing them to the letter.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
I know there's no chance of getting the original brown malt that was done over fire and basically amounted to some light kilned malt and others burnt to a crisp.  That's not gonna be available.  But by the turn of the century, I think most of the malts were done with processes similar to today. So we should be able to brew those beers and end up with something pretty close to the original.  I think we can anyhow.

There's a good bit of information to be had by listening to his appearances on Beersmith podcast, where he talks about these recipes.  Little tidbits he drops here and there on numerous processes, might help in getting closer to the original beers. 

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
I haven't brewed one exactly following a specific recipe, but once did an early 19th century pale ale  that was 100% Maris Otter malt, a boatload of Goldings hops added at 60, 30, and 15 minutes left in the boil, WY1968, and an OG of 1.075. It was outstanding.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Not sure if it's in the book, but I brewed his 1957 Whitbread IPA.  Very tasty.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
I haven't brewed any from the book verbatim, but I did an "inspired by" recipe, for a dark mild (https://andybrews.com/2022/01/08/dark-mild-2021/). Turned out pretty tasty...
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
I did a stout and a porter that were sort of "averaged" 1880s recipes from that book.

They came out pretty well (considering my own missteps in the brewing process).

As others have mentioned, you'll have to substitute a mix of medium-darkness malts to approximate historic "Brown Malt" if the recipe called for that.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Brown malt IS commercially available.  It won't be exactly the same as historical but it might be the best we can do. 

Actually when brewing historical I simulate wood-drying by adding around 5-10% Bamburg smoked malt for part of the base malt, gives it a little something.

I've also toasted my own malt many many times to produce amber or brown malt.  It will usually lose its diastatic power so don't rely on it for more than say 30% of the grist.  But you can do this easily in your own oven just by spreading out a couple pounds or whatever on a baking sheet in a 375-ish F (190 C) oven for 20-45 minutes until quite toasty, then cool, grind, and brew as normal.  Deeply toasted flavors, a little goes a long way actually, probably don't want to use more than 10-20% of the total grist.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Funny you mentioned that dave, when I was far younger, my much older brother had gotten into home brewing, I'm not even sure it was legal in the US yet, and I can remember making a porter with him that we roasted the barley in the oven because you couldn't get a dark roast malt at the time. I think I may be dating myself, but I'm okay with that. LOL

That's a  good point on using the smoked malt as a substitute for the authentic old Brown malt. That process is long long gone, they had all kinds of malt house fires from that stuff. It goes without saying they don't do it that way anymore. It just makes me wonder what that flavor profile was.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 04:35:53 pm by CounterPressure »

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
As was mentioned by someone else, I used one of the recipes as a starting point.  It was for a Burton Ale I brewed.  Actually brewed it a few times.  I loved it.

I got a lot of good input on the forum here.  This was the discussion: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=32563.0.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
i think everyone is on the same page about at least using them as datapoints, i really really appreciate what he has done and i think he is super important on a lowkey level for beer, beer history and home/craft brewing.

i just love his digging up primary sources for facts that cut through all the conjecture and myths/old stories that had built up as people sought to explain the beers we had.

-brett in english beers, including IPA
-evolution of porter
-quantities and characteristics of invert syrup
-to a lesser extent his obsession with characterizing the common pub pint ie. "AK/mild/bitter"

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
@fredthecat
I'm with ya on all points. I particularly enjoy listening to him talk about collaborating with brewers who agree to brew these old recipes for him. Sometimes even having custom small-batch malting done in order to make an authentic historical beer. The average home brewer isn't going to go that far with it, but it is cool to see someone does. I'd love to taste some of them.

One of the things that keeps me out of craft breweries is the menus being heavily weighted toward abv of 6% and above. Often well above. As I get older I just can't drink those, never mind drive home afterward.  It's interesting that virtually every recipe in that book is 5.5% or lower.  Yes, there's a few 8.x or so, but not very many.  There's quite a few < 3%. And If I heard correctly, I think he said the top selling beer in the UK today is 2.9%, or thereabouts. 

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
I particularly enjoy listening to him talk about collaborating with brewers who agree to brew these old recipes for him.

I was very disappointed that it just didn't work for me to make it to his collaboration with Zebulon this spring.  He's the closest brewer to me that's done historical ales like that.  I hope they made enough money from it this year to do it again next year.
The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
I particularly enjoy listening to him talk about collaborating with brewers who agree to brew these old recipes for him.

I was very disappointed that it just didn't work for me to make it to his collaboration with Zebulon this spring.  He's the closest brewer to me that's done historical ales like that.  I hope they made enough money from it this year to do it again next year.
Wasn't he just there last week? (or the week before)? 

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
Wasn't he just there last week? (or the week before)?

It was back at the of May.
The Other Drew