Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Raising Prices  (Read 2312 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Wyeast Raising Prices
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2024, 11:23:47 pm »

As I said, buy in bulk, the ingredients I mentioned were quality German items.  Most homebrewers are thrifty.

I need to get my but in gear and brew a Denny Kong to clean out the freezer full of hops.

Oh, I am very thrifty personally (malt/hops in bulk, reusing yeast, etc.), but my initial point ws that the newest generation of homebrewers features fewer thrifty brewers vs 15 years ago when the hobby was taking off.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2024, 08:17:05 am »

As I said, buy in bulk, the ingredients I mentioned were quality German items.  Most homebrewers are thrifty.

I need to get my but in gear and brew a Denny Kong to clean out the freezer full of hops.

Oh, I am very thrifty personally (malt/hops in bulk, reusing yeast, etc.), but my initial point ws that the newest generation of homebrewers features fewer thrifty brewers vs 15 years ago when the hobby was taking off.

A recent purchase was a 6 of 500 ml cans of Radeberger at  $8.50. A 5 gallon batch of German Pils would have to be under $53 or so. My rough estimate still saves me money, but not much.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2024, 08:38:03 am »

A recent purchase was a 6 of 500 ml cans of Radeberger at  $8.50. A 5 gallon batch of German Pils would have to be under $53 or so. My rough estimate still saves me money, but not much.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2024, 08:58:03 am »
I buy almost exclusively from Morebeer. They have a warehouse in the same state so it only makes sense, and they're nice to deal with. Pricing on their malt by the 5 pound bag is basically the same /lb as buying it in 50 lb sacks. I do have a way to get base malt cheaper, (basically no shipping), but all in all a 50# sack shipped is around $60.  So not much over $1/lb. If you pay their shipping though, now it's a wash for 50# vs 5#. 

Hops by the pound can be had for as little as $8-10 depending on the variety.  I personally am not sold on spending double the money for all these "proprietary" hybrids. I do occasionally, but most can be had for a lot less if you are willing to say I didn't use the en-vogue variety.  For instance, I just made a pale ale using Mandarina Bavaria and it's every bit as good as anything Citra, if not better, and it cost almost nothing.  $8/lb.  Why on earth would I pay double?  For that matter, I'll take Liberty any day over Import Hallertau. It's derived from it and has more flavor. Not only do I not need to pay for it to be shipped 5000 miles, but IMO the US Liberty stuff is far better. It's funny how people get all caught up in the origin of ingredients, but ya know there's a reason the US is the worlds largest exporter of food products. It's because stuff grows better here. I've used import hops recently and 'weak' would be a generous term for it.  Did I really pay double for that garbage?....  Yes, yes I did...

I did a spreadsheet some months ago for 4 beers I keep on rotation.  All 10 gallon batches with ~10-1/2 to 11 gal into kegs.  The 4 beers (Without yeast added in since often I'm re-pitching) total ingredients cost including a very generous amount of propane to do the batches, $29.19, 34.83, 40.68 and 49.01.  Even with a pretty major yeast debacle recently, the cost of brewing (once you own the equipment) is nearly lost in the noise of any household budget.  The $49 batch uses 2 lb of honey...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2024, 08:59:41 am »
How do you spend $150 to make 5 gallons of German Pils?

I was more thinking about hypothetical homebrewers, but if you buy all the “best” ingredients and pitch 2 packs of premium yeast and buy all the additives (brewtan, clarity ferm, yeast nutrients, etc.), then pay shipping on top of that, you can approach and maybe exceed $150. I know a place that sells craft malt for $3.50/lb and have encountered brewers who buy two yeast packs (1056) to pitch direct without a starter. Would that be 4 packs of lager yeast? 2 packs of white labs at $16/pack and it adds up.

The Trial 701 that went into it is now commercially available. Dunno what the minimum order us, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline craftyape

• 1st Kit
  • Beer is my safe word. Brew Day is my solitude.
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2024, 11:38:31 am »
the cost of ingredients is getting bonkers for sure. i guess ill have to repurpose yeast more often
Max the Crafty Ape