Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Raising Prices  (Read 2313 times)

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Re: Wyeast Raising Prices
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2024, 02:08:51 pm »
Oh, they have "Interests"; like vacations unloading piles of cash. I should have been more specific and said, interests in anything that has legitimate tangible value.  Not things that are a net financial negative.

you mean like homebrewing?  ;D
Lol, Ok, but to be fair, I'm not sure if even that's a great example. I bet if I purchased beer made commercially, I would be spending more than I do now.  I went for a few years recently, purchasing beer at the distributor just due to time and work. I'd almost guarantee I spent more then than I have on brewing since. 

I'm not trying to say never waste some time and money on fun stuff, but how about doing something useful once in a while...

If I compare my "hobbies and interests" I had as a kid, going back to say age 8-15, every one was beneficial in my life, and in a number of ways.  Directly, they make up what I've done in business my entire life.  Additionally, helping my 2 brother in laws build homes during that time has also been extremely beneficial.  From laying block to framing to roofing, and lots of stuff in between.  I simply DO NOT call repairmen. I build my own stuff.  I do a lot of things that are unquestionably a net positive. That I also have interests that are not going to pay the bills, I'm fine with it. I have almost no bills anyway! 

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2024, 06:28:10 pm »
I agree with CounterPressure; his experiences match mine pretty closely.  And as for the "every generation thinks the next is crappier" or whatever, consider the possibility that this time it might actually be true.  If this is getting old, it makes sense because you and I *are* getting old.   ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2024, 06:54:50 am »
I agree with CounterPressure; his experiences match mine pretty closely.  And as for the "every generation thinks the next is crappier" or whatever, consider the possibility that this time it might actually be true.  If this is getting old, it makes sense because you and I *are* getting old.   ;D

My experience says it is 100%, unequivocally not true and is nothing more than the same old curmudgeonry.  And yes, I am getting old.  But not old yet!   :)

YMMV.

Peace out. I've said enough.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2024, 02:00:17 pm »
@Megary and Steve Ruch, Seeing as this is a very new development at MoreBeer, I suspect something similar is going to hit everywhere else pretty soon. For instance, last week MB was $8 like NB is now, but who's to say what NB will be next week. As to the others, I'd likely have to pay shipping and who's to say what price that puts me at then.  Often the 'base' price doesn't tell the whole story.  How much is it shipped and sitting in my fridge...

At more than $2 less it doesn't take very many to cover the cost of shipping
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2024, 04:30:47 am »
How do you spend $150 to make 5 gallons of German Pils?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2024, 05:05:49 am »

Sounded to me like an exaggeration but I've also seen examples where people are spending absolutely absurd amounts for some batches.  Wow, they must be rich (in my Jason Hervey voice).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2024, 06:10:09 am »

We don’t get to choose if we live or die. Death is certain. We only get to choose how we live before we die.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2024, 07:01:29 am »

Sounded to me like an exaggeration but I've also seen examples where people are spending absolutely absurd amounts for some batches.  Wow, they must be rich (in my Jason Hervey voice).
The worst I've ever done is making Pliny the Elder kits from MB where I have $100 in a 10 gal batch, plus other accessort things which probably drives it up near $115-120 (guessing).  The money there is mostly in the hops, and I simply buy the kits because it's easier and I have no leftovers of items I seldom use.  They (and about every mail order supplier) do have other kits which are even more expensive.  Anything with honey in it gets that cost added in too.  Cha-ching... That isn't cheap any more either.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2024, 07:16:52 am »
The quoted price above was something I questioned. I brew a lot of German Pilsner.

Quick back of the envelope math. Buy in bulk. 10 gallon batch.

20 lbs Weyermann Pils $32
8 Oz Hallertau Mittelfrüh hops $8
Yeast Wlp 830 $16 make it $20 with DME for starter.
Everything else, add $10

So I would have $70 in a 10 gallon batch. $35 for a 5 gallon batch.

If buying malt by the pound or hops by the Oz, it goes up quick.

My system costs were a long time ago.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 07:19:24 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2024, 09:18:20 am »
White labs, but related. There definitely is a certain cutoff point where most people realize the high tens in dollars for a single yeast type is not worth it.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2024, 10:26:13 am »
In my example above I used a Liquid yeast since this is a liquid yeast thread. I've been using Diamond dry yeast for my last several Pilsners.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2024, 11:00:39 am »
^^^^^ fredthecat
Doesn't surprise me when you consider the headaches involved in selling it along with the nature of the product doesn't lend itself well to mail order. At the places where I buy, liquid yeast is now north of $20 by the time you get ice to ship it with. That's probably not enough to stop some people from using their favorite yeast, but I can say for me it's definitely enough to keep me from experimenting.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2024, 06:53:34 pm »

I was more thinking about hypothetical homebrewers, but if you buy all the “best” ingredients and pitch 2 packs of premium yeast and buy all the additives (brewtan, clarity ferm, yeast nutrients, etc.), then pay shipping on top of that, you can approach and maybe exceed $150. I know a place that sells craft malt for $3.50/lb and have encountered brewers who buy two yeast packs (1056) to pitch direct without a starter. Would that be 4 packs of lager yeast? 2 packs of white labs at $16/pack and it adds up.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2024, 07:40:18 pm »
I brewed a Denny Kong IPA this year, and it used an armload of hops, some of them cryo-hops. That was an expensive beer, even though I used dry yeast, but it was worth it!!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2024, 09:24:12 pm »

I was more thinking about hypothetical homebrewers, but if you buy all the “best” ingredients and pitch 2 packs of premium yeast and buy all the additives (brewtan, clarity ferm, yeast nutrients, etc.), then pay shipping on top of that, you can approach and maybe exceed $150. I know a place that sells craft malt for $3.50/lb and have encountered brewers who buy two yeast packs (1056) to pitch direct without a starter. Would that be 4 packs of lager yeast? 2 packs of white labs at $16/pack and it adds up.

As I said, buy in bulk, the ingredients I mentioned were quality German items.  Most homebrewers are thrifty.

I need to get my but in gear and brew a Denny Kong to clean out the freezer full of hops.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild