Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Raising Prices  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Wyeast Raising Prices
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2024, 04:42:06 pm »
...I ordered 2 types of yeast 2 weeks ago and the WLP-400 I bought was $15.99 then.

Bootleg's packs are $11.99, for another comparison.  So, their MSRP isn't way off from other liquid yeasts.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2024, 05:25:21 pm »
I spent $15.99 for some White Labs a few months ago.  The beer didn't turn out phenomenal (probably my own fault).  Regardless, I promised myself I won't be making that mistake again.  Actually I reused the same yeast on a subsequent batch which basically cuts the price in half, and the second batch turned out pretty well, so I am happy about that at least, not a complete waste.  But anyway.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2024, 06:08:32 pm »
I spent $15.99 for some White Labs a few months ago.  The beer didn't turn out phenomenal (probably my own fault).  Regardless, I promised myself I won't be making that mistake again.  Actually I reused the same yeast on a subsequent batch which basically cuts the price in half, and the second batch turned out pretty well, so I am happy about that at least, not a complete waste.  But anyway.

i definitely appreciate how white labs and wyeast have such a variety of yeast strains, but i feel like the smaller, newer liquid yeast companies have fewer strains - but not regional/historical (or at least perceived to be historical) yeast types and more just a more modest line of yeasts that cover most styles/profiles that people want ie. escarpment yeast having 3 english that are basically -wlp002 -wlp007 and wyeast 1318. rather than having 20 different english strains. for better or for worse it allows you to have some great tasting (i perceive that the beers i make with liquid yeast have a better flavour than with dry the majority of the time) yeast of the common types you expect for a good price (i get escarpment for $10.49 a pack and if i did a group/club buy it would be much cheaper). whitelabs here goes for $16.49 up to $25 for beer yeasts. insanity

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2024, 05:41:07 am »
Since I live close to where they make Escarpment Labs yeast, I only buy them. I am happy so far with the quality of their yeast. If they didn't exist, I would buy either White Labs or Wyeast. Definitely have to re-use their yeast a few times just to get your money's worth.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2024, 07:13:11 am »
There is a growing minority of us who brew smaller batches and/or less frequently. The cost of a pitch of liquid yeast is making it harder and harder for someone like me who doesn't need 200B cells (and probably not even 100B, for that matter), and probably won't be repitching into several batches, to justify that kind of outlay. Even if a packet of dry yeast cost the same as a pack of liquid, I can easily portion that out for multiple brews.

There are a few strains that I use that are still are only available in liquid form, but I'm trying out more and more dry alternatives and moving to them whenever possible.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2024, 11:59:02 am »
There is a growing minority of us who brew smaller batches and/or less frequently. The cost of a pitch of liquid yeast is making it harder and harder for someone like me who doesn't need 200B cells (and probably not even 100B, for that matter), and probably won't be repitching into several batches, to justify that kind of outlay. Even if a packet of dry yeast cost the same as a pack of liquid, I can easily portion that out for multiple brews.

There are a few strains that I use that are still are only available in liquid form, but I'm trying out more and more dry alternatives and moving to them whenever possible.
People talk about growing up cultures from a "slant" which I assume is a frozen test tube full of yeast, but I know precisely zero about what all happens there.  Those discussions seem to say you can keep yeast for a very long time and bring it back with no ill effect.  If I were to brew small batches, I'd probably go that route. But again, I don't know all the troubles it involves. 

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2024, 12:43:49 pm »

People talk about growing up cultures from a "slant" which I assume is a frozen test tube full of yeast, but I know precisely zero about what all happens there.  Those discussions seem to say you can keep yeast for a very long time and bring it back with no ill effect.  If I were to brew small batches, I'd probably go that route. But again, I don't know all the troubles it involves.

I cultured yeast from plates and slants for years.  Total PITA. You need to reculture every 6 months or so. I finally gave it up and gave the last one I had to Wyeast. It's now WY1450.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2024, 03:26:52 pm »
Since I live close to where they make Escarpment Labs yeast, I only buy them. I am happy so far with the quality of their yeast. If they didn't exist, I would buy either White Labs or Wyeast. Definitely have to re-use their yeast a few times just to get your money's worth.

excellent, i think i named escarpment when i said what yeast i was happy with now. I'm really happy with the taste of the yeast (i mean the taste of the finished beer) from them vs. white labs or dry.

i haven't tried all of their stuff yet though of course. white labs is done for me i think.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2024, 07:58:27 pm »
I cultured yeast from plates and slants for years.  Total PITA. You need to reculture every 6 months or so. I finally gave it up and gave the last one I had to Wyeast. It's now WY1450.
To listen to the people selling yeast kits, it's easy as pie. You musta been doing something wrong!  Lol

I just save some slurry in a jar and most times, even if I'm really careless it still works out. My recent experience with the bottom yeast didn't work out so well. But I do think if that had been Nottingham, or any other top ferm yeast, even 6mo old, it would have taken off. I've done that before and been fine, which is why that lager yeast surprised me. 

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2024, 08:38:59 am »
To listen to the people selling yeast kits, it's easy as pie. You musta been doing something wrong!  Lol

I just save some slurry in a jar and most times, even if I'm really careless it still works out. My recent experience with the bottom yeast didn't work out so well. But I do think if that had been Nottingham, or any other top ferm yeast, even 6mo old, it would have taken off. I've done that before and been fine, which is why that lager yeast surprised me.

I used to save slurry but I brew so infrequently these days I just use new yeast every time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2024, 05:10:00 pm »
If I used one yeast all the time I would definitely re-pitch, but I use so many different yeasts that it became ridiculous when I tried to save them.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2024, 10:04:49 am »
If I used one yeast all the time I would definitely re-pitch, but I use so many different yeasts that it became ridiculous when I tried to save them.

see, I like using the same yeast becasue it gives me greater control of my finished product. I get to know the ins and outs of the yeast.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2024, 04:40:47 pm »
I try and plan to reuse yeast at least once given the expense.  I suspect for some the rising prices might lead us to selecting one or just a few strains (in my case dry yeasts) to stick with.  At $15 a pop, I want to get at least 3 batches out of it. 

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2024, 07:31:01 pm »

see, I like using the same yeast becasue it gives me greater control of my finished product. I get to know the ins and outs of the yeast.

That seems a bit backwards to me. I understand that as you get to know a yeast you understand how to get the most out of it in different conditions, but each yeast has a limited pallet and can't go beyond that. Would you use a lager yeast for a hefeweizen? Would you use a hefeweizen yeast for a lager? I can't believe that you have enough control over a yeast to get it to perform that far out of its comfort zone.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2024, 03:03:20 pm »
That seems a bit backwards to me. I understand that as you get to know a yeast you understand how to get the most out of it in different conditions, but each yeast has a limited pallet and can't go beyond that. Would you use a lager yeast for a hefeweizen? Would you use a hefeweizen yeast for a lager? I can't believe that you have enough control over a yeast to get it to perform that far out of its comfort zone.

Unless you typically brew similar styles of beer. 

I do hope that he's not brewing a lager and a hefe with the same yeast. 😄