Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Raising Prices  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Wyeast Raising Prices
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2024, 05:57:46 pm »
Yet another reason to use dry yeast as much as possible.  I like some liquid yeasts, and might still use some on occasion... but not very often, especially after this hike.

my favorite yeast for most of teh beers I brew (WLP028) doesnt have a dry equivalent. Same with Saisons, the dry yeasts just dont compare.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2024, 05:13:46 am »
I recently tried Lallemand Farmhouse in a Saison. I was very pleased with the results.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2024, 07:00:46 am »
Sheesh. I feel like yeast is already way up compared to when I started brewing (2019). Even US-05 is $7 or $8 a sachet. The fancy stuff it's even more.

What isn't up in the last 5 years?

everything is up, but increasing prices by 100 percent in a single jump seems a little extreme to me.

Assuming it's true. I'm trying to verify.

Denny, my LHBS got this information from Wyeast when they ordered recently.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2024, 07:25:57 am »
I recently tried Lallemand Farmhouse in a Saison. I was very pleased with the results.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.
+1

I’m 2 for 2 with Farmhouse,  Have another planned for this Summer. 

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2024, 07:32:21 am »
The pack I bought a week ago has less cell count than competitors. 100B vs 150B. It's possible they're also increasing the cell count at the same time, but who knows.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2024, 08:23:45 am »
Sheesh. I feel like yeast is already way up compared to when I started brewing (2019). Even US-05 is $7 or $8 a sachet. The fancy stuff it's even more.
Shop around. I just paid $2.89 for S-05 at Ritebrew.
They also offer quantity discounts on various items, but they do not offer free shipping. 
With  $4-5 less per S-05 how many does it take to more than cover shipping?
My previous order with them cost less than $3 to ship. A bunch of lighter items: yeasts and hops qualified for a $5 shipping discount at a $50 threshold
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2024, 08:26:10 am »
I recently tried Lallemand Farmhouse in a Saison. I was very pleased with the results

I’m 2 for 2 with Farmhouse,  Have another planned for this Summer.
I'll be giving farmhouse a go before too long.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2024, 09:02:01 am »
The pack I bought a week ago has less cell count than competitors. 100B vs 150B. It's possible they're also increasing the cell count at the same time, but who knows.

To me, cell count doesn't matter all that much.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2024, 08:01:06 pm »

To me, cell count doesn't matter all that much.
To the company selling the yeast it matters a lot. If they have to increase their cell count per package to match their competitors in a marketing war then they will have to increase their prices.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2024, 10:43:58 am »
I got a reply from Wyeast. They sent me a copy of the letter they sent to retailers, as well as a nice personal response. To me, after reading this, I understand the reason for the price increase. You all get to decide if it's reasonable and what you will do about it.

We are contacting you to tell you about our new pricing on ActivatorTM packages and Wyeast nutrient blends, which will take effect on July 8th, 2024. These price increase comes with a mix of gratitude and transparency. It is a tough decision to make but one that is long overdue. As you may know, Wyeast’s liquid yeast and cultures pricing has remained the same for over a decade. Yes, you read that correctly. And you know that over that period of time the professional and homebrewing landscape has seen many changes, challenges, and economic impacts.

We will also be welcoming much lower shipping rates at the same time, as well as the flexibility to add additional ice and insulation to your orders at no extra cost, when extreme weather and long distance shipments would benefit from extra protection.

New Pricing Details

All ActivatorTM products across all style categories will be sold at a flat rate

• New low shipping rates
  • Order quantity discounts will be discontinued
  • Minimum total per order remains the same
  • No minimum per category remains the same

Why we made this decision now

• Advances in Product Integrity: From upgraded cell density, viability, and vitality analysis to S. cerevisiae var. diastaticus and complete brewhouse contaminant screening, to offering the longest guarantee in the industry, we are driven to advance the industry standard so that Wyeast remains a premium choice with a proven reputation for your customers.

What this looks like:

• New, expanded general agar screening on raw ingredient processing for the detection of yeasts, molds, and heterotrophic organisms.
    • New, expanded selective agar screening on liquid yeast products for the detection of contaminant Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces yeast
    • Aerobic and anerobic selective agar screening on liquid yeast and bacteria products for detection of contaminant bacteria and non-Saccharomyces yeast
    • Differential agar for detection of culture yeast cross-contamination in liquid yeast products
    • qPCR molecular detection of target genes for S. cerevisiae var. diastaticus, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus spp., Megasphera and Pectinatus spp. on all finished liquid yeast products.
    • Validation of screening methods against expected threshold of detection
    • Sample retention and shelf life evaluation on all liquid yeast product batches
  • Technical Expertise: We have expanded our team of professional brewers and microbiologists to assist with answering your customer’s technical questions, yeast management, troubleshooting, and more.
    What this looks like:
    • You and your technical shop staff have direct contact with our complementary technical support team
    • Prompt, professional advice to provide to your customers
    • Reassurance that the product you receive can be evaluated anytime against our retained samples
  • Facility Renovations: Modernized infrastructure around our core processes has improved propagation quality and consistency – from raw ingredients to the final product – in new state-of-the-art manufacturing spaces.
  • Website Renovation: A thorough website rebuild in 2022 now provides easy access to your account information, order history, and our new Express Quote Request tool. Fresh ActivatorTM packaging and how-to information, home enthusiast recipes, and refreshed content for today’s homebrewing trends and techniques are ready to be explored. And, it is simpler than ever for your customers to find Wyeast products at your e-commerce and brick-and-mortar stores through the Find a Store landing page.
  • Economic Impacts: We have stood firm against the challenges of the pandemic and economic changes to remain a constant in an evolving economy, but now is the time for us to make adjustments to our business for a long-lasting future.
  • Employees and our Community: One of the most humbling aspects at Wyeast is the passion our employees bring to produce the best yeast available. Supporting our community remains at the core of our decisions.

What you’ve come to expect from Wyeast that will remain the same

• Our 6+ month product guarantee for your customers
  • Heirloom, non-genetically engineered strains that have become analogous with craft and homebrewing are propagated from our original parent cultures, which deliver the most proven, authentic yeast character and performance. Your customers truly Brew Like the Professionals.
  • Every product is certified Kosher and produced in our licensed food manufacturing facility in Hood River, Oregon USA.
  • Every product ships fresh, with our Best By-dated based on yeast age and not the date it was packaged. A shorter in-house shelf life also means our products ship to you in the absolute highest integrity.
  • Products only ship to you once quality control and quality assurance specifications have been met.
  • Our customer service and technical staff are always available for your next question or request.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 11:04:12 am by dbeechum »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2024, 11:39:20 am »
Unless I missed it, it doesn't quantify what the increase will be.  Certainly doesn't call out 2x anywhere. And you may have removed that for obvious reasons, Idk.

Also doesn't say anything about retail pricing, which is what concerns most of us. Increases at the wholesale level at one % do not necessarily reflect a similar increase at the retail level.  This seems reasonable to assume, given the alternative is a $22 smack pack (I find that difficult to imagine).

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2024, 11:53:36 am »
Unless I missed it, it doesn't quantify what the increase will be.  Certainly doesn't call out 2x anywhere. And you may have removed that for obvious reasons, Idk.

That was part of their reply to us before they gave us the message they sent to retailers... basically they haven't raised the price since 2008 and now they're recommending that retailers go from $9-12 MSRP on Activators to $14.50. Note that's the price they're recommending to retailers, not what they're charging them. Wyeast also noted that Brett, lacto, pedio type cultures weren't changing.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2024, 09:04:22 am »

That was part of their reply to us before they gave us the message they sent to retailers... basically they haven't raised the price since 2008 and now they're recommending that retailers go from $9-12 MSRP on Activators to $14.50. Note that's the price they're recommending to retailers, not what they're charging them. Wyeast also noted that Brett, lacto, pedio type cultures weren't changing.
With my brewing budget I can't justify $14.50 for yeast.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2024, 09:38:28 am »

I agree.  $14.50 for 2.5 gallons is unrealistic.  The last thing I want to do is start saving yeast in jars for re-use, but I might have to.  At least for some strains.  I'll hold out as long as I can though.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2024, 10:14:06 am »
Well, I don't know if that's the price or not, but still, they're talking about liquid yeast, not dry.  And, I can't imagine buying liquid yeast and only using it one time.  In my mind, the primary reason to use liquid yeast is if you intend to repitch it over and over.

Even at that, I ordered 2 types of yeast 2 weeks ago and the WLP-400 I bought was $15.99 then.  So that's where their competition is already.  The way to justify those prices to the consumer is if the consumer makes a LOT of batches using that same yeast.