Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Raising Prices  (Read 2310 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Wyeast Raising Prices
« on: June 21, 2024, 07:37:14 am »
I was at my LHBS last week to get supplies for upcoming brews and was told by one of the owners that Wyeast is doubling the price of their liquid yeast in the very near future.  That is a pretty big price bump!  He told me I just got in under the wire with the current price.

Thought I should pass this along.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Wyeast Raising Prices
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 07:44:37 am »
2x

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 07:59:55 am »
Sheesh. I feel like yeast is already way up compared to when I started brewing (2019). Even US-05 is $7 or $8 a sachet. The fancy stuff it's even more.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2024, 08:00:43 am »
Sheesh. I feel like yeast is already way up compared to when I started brewing (2019). Even US-05 is $7 or $8 a sachet. The fancy stuff it's even more.

What isn't up in the last 5 years?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 08:12:44 am »
White Labs increased their prices a year or so ago, but they increased the amount of yeast in the packages at the same time.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2024, 08:13:24 am »
In June 2016 I have an order for a 50# sack of Briess 2 row that was $54.13 including shipping.  Don't try that at home now...

Same month, 11g Nottingham was $3.79, 5# LME was $16, 5# 40L was $7.45. All with free shipping.

Don't look at your order history... But, if you do, just understand your wages went up 100% during that same time so it should be no big deal.  Inflation is just barely 3%... Lol

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2024, 08:59:56 am »
Shop around. I just paid $2.89 for S-05 at Ritebrew.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2024, 09:37:18 am »
Shop around. I just paid $2.89 for S-05 at Ritebrew.
They also offer quantity discounts on various items, but they do not offer free shipping. 

Ritebrew's pricing works well well if one can use the regional (Spee-Dee Delivery) shipper.  I've used the combination for well over 5 years with consistently good results.  Outside the region, the national shipper (currently UPS) can get expensive, especially if the order weight goes above about 48 pounds.   There is also an "economy/saver" shipping option which I haven't tried.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2024, 11:01:05 am »

everything is up, but increasing prices by 100 percent in a single jump seems a little extreme to me.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2024, 11:04:49 am »
I have had several instances of Wyeast smack packs, well within their 6 month use by dates, not swell up or not start to the point where I ended up having to pitch a packet of dry yeast for insurance. No way am I going to pay ~$20 for a smack pack, I will stick to dry yeast.

Offline pv

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 11:09:20 am »
Cost is one of the reasons I harvest yeast.  I have a small yeast bank and have used yeasts up to 13 times with no apparent ill effects.  Makes the cost of yeast/brew very low.
Upstate South Carolina

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2024, 11:10:10 am »

everything is up, but increasing prices by 100 percent in a single jump seems a little extreme to me.

Assuming it's true. I'm trying to verify.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2024, 11:40:04 am »

Assuming it's true. I'm trying to verify.

yes of course.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2024, 01:35:15 pm »
Yet another reason to use dry yeast as much as possible.  I like some liquid yeasts, and might still use some on occasion... but not very often, especially after this hike.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2024, 02:01:45 pm »
Yet another reason to use dry yeast as much as possible.  I like some liquid yeasts, and might still use some on occasion... but not very often, especially after this hike.

I brew a lot of Belgians and haven't found a dry yeast I like for them.

www.dennybrew.com