Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Visual reminder...  (Read 200 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Visual reminder...
« on: June 20, 2024, 10:26:31 am »
If I put one drop of food coloring into my 2.5 gallons of Star-San, will that have any detrimental effect on the ability of the stuff to do its sanitizing job? I want some kind of visual indicator as to what's in the jug. Yes; I could just write on the jug with a Sharpie marker as to what's inside. What I want is the visual identifier to instantly remind me regarding the contents......

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Visual reminder...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 10:55:46 am »
If I put one drop of food coloring into my 2.5 gallons of Star-San, will that have any detrimental effect on the ability of the stuff to do its sanitizing job? I want some kind of visual indicator as to what's in the jug. Yes; I could just write on the jug with a Sharpie marker as to what's inside. What I want is the visual identifier to instantly remind me regarding the contents......

I doubt any of us know. Contact 5 Star.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 11:21:16 am »
i use this stuff all the time.  2" rolls.  Removable, water resistant, and re-stick-able 10 years later. Sharpie marker and a hunk of tape.  It's on everything.  I even attach thermisters to fermenters with it (with acrylic foam under it to insulate and hold the thermister).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404765603410?var=674779020726&itmmeta=01J0VADZSKZNSGRB26VG3QMF8K

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 12:01:32 pm »

I doubt any of us know. Contact 5 Star.
www.fivestarchemicals.com         (303)287-0186

I think I'll call them rather than email and wait for a response...

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2024, 12:15:34 pm »

Called and was told that the food coloring would indeed destroy the efficacy of the product, so no food coloring in my Star-San. Was also told that the solution becomes useless one hour after it's mixed-up. I told the rep that several members on the AHBA website mix it up in distilled water and save it for months. She told me that the government requires that users be told about the potlife of it. By law, it's said to expire in an hour.  But you gentlemen know better...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 12:17:27 pm by nvshooter2276 »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2024, 12:29:25 pm »
Sanitation police, huh.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2024, 12:40:01 pm »

Called and was told that the food coloring would indeed destroy the efficacy of the product, so no food coloring in my Star-San. Was also told that the solution becomes useless one hour after it's mixed-up. I told the rep that several members on the AHBA website mix it up in distilled water and save it for months. She told me that the government requires that users be told about the potlife of it. By law, it's said to expire in an hour.  But you gentlemen know better...
That's nice to know... It's always great when lawyers add insights to a topic.

I'm gonna just keep doing it the same way I have.  I only have one bucket sitting in the kitchen, so I won't mistake it for something else any time soon.  When it no longer looks clear, I'll make new. 

I still like my tape idea too.  It even sticks on jars that were just dunked in expired star-san.  Lol

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2024, 12:54:24 pm »

There are legal requirements and there are scientific facts. Charley Talley, former head chemistry there, pointed that out to me.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2024, 12:55:03 pm »

That's nice to know... It's always great when lawyers add insights to a topic.

I'm gonna just keep doing it the same way I have.  I only have one bucket sitting in the kitchen, so I won't mistake it for something else any time soon.  When it no longer looks clear, I'll make new. 

I still like my tape idea too.  It even sticks on jars that were just dunked in expired star-san.  Lol

Clear doesn't matter. Check the pH.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2024, 01:16:59 pm »
Clear doesn't matter. Check the pH.
I just did that with a batch last week. It was so murky at the bottom there was no chance I was going to use it, and the pH was still fine. I think it was 2.6 or something like that. So I'm always throwing mine out long before it's no good. The cost of the stuff is so little, it's not worth calculating it against my other brewing costs.