Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: One was too many!  (Read 365 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
One was too many!
« on: June 16, 2024, 06:42:40 am »
Are there any alcoholic beverages you don't like at all?

When I was a crewmember in the U.S. Navy decades ago on a ASW patrol aircraft flying in the N. Atlantic and Artic Oceans, I sampled drinks in many different countries.

One serving of Norwegian aquavit was more than I wanted.  The strong flavor of anise combined with other spices tasted like diesel fuel smells to me.  I apologize to the Norwegians.  I just didn't like it.

They are wonderful people living in a country with beautiful scenery, and I very much enjoyed the weeks I spent operating out of airbases above the great Trondheim Fjord and also near Bodo.  Besides, who can dislike brewers who gave the world kveik yeasts?

The other beverage also containing anise I shunned after one sample was ouzo.  This was served in a ramshackle taverna in the Azores, and was probably not of the highest quality.

I'm sure that every beverage that someone dislikes will have many adherents on the other side that love it. 

This was my story.  What's yours?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 06:45:45 am by Lazy Ant Brewing »
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: One was too many!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 08:15:07 am »
Malort
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 09:19:41 am »
Dislike? Cloying desert wine. Harsh alcohol Whiskey and the like.

But for the most part I'm pretty open-minded and have a broad palette. And just because I've had a few examples of some drink which sucked, doesn't mean I will refuse to try a different one. But by about the third try, it's going to have to pass my nose's approval regimen before I subject my taste buds to it again.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
One was too many!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 10:08:04 am »
Sour beer.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024, 11:14:38 am »
I tried Grappa once and Ouzo once.  That was enough for me.  I am not a big fan of some bourbons, but most hard alcohol tastes the same to me.  I would also say white wine is a no go for me.  Too sweet.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2024, 02:14:40 pm »
I dislike highly tannic wines and cloyingly sweet wines.

I don't understand the current fad for bourbon. Frankly, a lot of distilled spirits just taste harsh and unpleasant to me.

I do like some of the really herbal, aromatic spirits and liqueurs, like Chartreuse. And anything with good anise, lavender, rose flavors. I'm probably one of the only people living who actually likes Jägermeister in its original use as a digestif.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline pv

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2024, 04:23:29 pm »
Longshot Hazelnut Brown (1996?).  Bought six, tried one, and the following weekend went to a cook-out at a friend's and abandoned the other 5.  Apparently he tried one because a couple weeks later he returned the favor.  Not sure what ever happened to the other 4.
Upstate South Carolina

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2024, 05:30:29 pm »
replies to above:

aquavit - tastes okay, tasted like a clean vodka with caraway. fine but really one note and not a great note at that.

sweet ouzo - it used to be priced much cheaper than other 40% alcohol spirits so i'd get it as a kid. bad hangover memory and its super sweet.

cloying desert wine including overly sweet port - yes, obvious reasons why

sour beer - there was a trend here of kettle sours which were just really lame sour beers with no complexity or interesting characteristics. horrible, thankfully theyre gone.

bourbon/whiskey - bourbon popularity is just a man's club thing currently going on. it's expensive and people can claim/state there is something to "understand/appreciate" about it - double bragging points. i like some bourbons for sure, but as i think i said recently in the whiskey thread - i want max flavour without excessive alcohol and whiskey, especially the "barrel proof" type ones. would much rather have a really good beer than a relaly good whiskey that is going to be way more expensive and have more alcohol in it per ml of enjoyment.

my own:

idk if they still make it but very sweet french brandy. bad experience once where i bought some intending to drink it with a friend, but it was way way way sweeter than i expected.

korean green bottle cheap soju of any brand - really bad stuff. hyper low quality ethanol doctored up with dozens of artificial flavourings and sweeteners. very bad headaches.

chinese baijus with the flower scent aromas. literally tastes like the lowest quality 3rd world ethanol mixed with rose water for flavour. super bizarre

unassertive and/or sweet gin.

hendrick's gin - very harsh and smells like an old woman's flower perfume.

"bear beer" from denmark

all those dirty cheap hyper lagers (10%ABV and up) from the netherlands. you're making a trash malt liquor but it doesn't need to be THIS bad.

vegetal macro lite beer, with low ibu ie. coors lite, etc.

finlandia - tastes like medical use ethanol

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 12:18:48 pm »

I can't get into Hendrick's, either. For me, it's the cucumber. I'm not into savory flavors in beverages, and cucumber kind of straddles the line between savory and refreshing to me. For a similar reason, even though I like sour beer I don't enjoy Gose. If the salt level is enough to taste it, then it's not for me.

I enjoy scotch, bourbon, and some rye and blended whiskeys. For some reason, I can't get into Irish Whiskey, and some other unpeated whiskeys (generally lighter ones). If the booze note is there, but there's no peat or sweetness to fill it out, then it doesn't do much for me. I don't hate them, but I don't seek them out like I do for other whiskeys.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 02:54:20 pm »
Longshot Hazelnut Brown (1996?).  Bought six, tried one, and the following weekend went to a cook-out at a friend's and abandoned the other 5.  Apparently he tried one because a couple weeks later he returned the favor.  Not sure what ever happened to the other 4.
Wait! I know the homebrewer who won that year.
I wish they would bring that competition back.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2024, 05:53:21 pm »

I can't get into Hendrick's, either. For me, it's the cucumber. I'm not into savory flavors in beverages, and cucumber kind of straddles the line between savory and refreshing to me. For a similar reason, even though I like sour beer I don't enjoy Gose. If the salt level is enough to taste it, then it's not for me.

I enjoy scotch, bourbon, and some rye and blended whiskeys. For some reason, I can't get into Irish Whiskey, and some other unpeated whiskeys (generally lighter ones). If the booze note is there, but there's no peat or sweetness to fill it out, then it doesn't do much for me. I don't hate them, but I don't seek them out like I do for other whiskeys.

agree on irish whiskey and gose. though ive had maybe 2 goses in my life max, it just did not do anything special for me and seemed like a forced trend.

irish whiskey is the kind of thing you somehow feel compelled to like, but i havent had a good one yet. also there seems to be no consensus on what it is. jameson is just sharp and high, bushmills black tasted like an over-sweet pile of mild mush from how i remember.