Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch size  (Read 994 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Batch size
« on: June 15, 2024, 06:13:19 pm »
Five gallons is supposedly the "normal" size batch. What size does everyone actually brew?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Batch size
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 06:21:40 pm »
Five gallons is supposedly the "normal" size batch. What size does everyone actually brew?

For me, I think my boil size is somewhere in the area of 7 gallons.  I get about a gallon of boil off, lose a small amount in the kettle that I just cannot get to drain so that my fermenter size is somewhere between 5 to 5.5 gallons.  After dry hops and yeast settle, my take is somewhere in the 5 gallon range, but I tend to keg and don't actually see what goes in.  Your results and the pro's may have different opinions, but that is what I have found mine to be. 

Online John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2024, 06:33:15 pm »
I find 5 gal to be a good size batch for me. I drink enough beer to keep a variety flowing at that batch size.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2024, 07:31:48 pm »
My "standard" batch sizes are 5 liters and 10 liters.

Edit: These fit comfortably in either a 2-gallon food grade bucket or my 3-gallon Fermonster.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 07:34:55 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2024, 08:21:29 pm »
I brew 3 gal ‘big’ batches and 1.5 gal ‘small’ batches of beer. 1 gal batches of cider and mead. I just don’t drink as much as I used to so I give most of it away thru club meetings, competitions, or friends/family.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 09:38:16 pm »
I find 5 gal to be a good size batch for me. I drink enough beer to keep a variety flowing at that batch size.

my theory re: 5 gallon being a standard size for so long (i dont think/know if it still is) is that it is a reasonable weight for an adult male to pick up. i know some might struggle with that, some might find it easy, but glass carboy (5 lbs?) plus 5 gallons of beer (5 gallons of water is 41lbs - so with the alcohol beer is presumably slightly less - uh ~5% less i guess?) thats about 45lbs.

it also could ahve been due to available sizing for turkey boiler pots or standard boil pot sizes?

i know brewing systems 5 litres or less were popular for a period, but IMHO especially for beer unless you are a very, very casual drinker. waiting 4 weeks min to 6 weeks from grain to ~4 litres after losses of carbed beer is just insufficient bang for your temporal buck.

my dream home system would be something like a 12-14 gallon boil with some decent automated pumping and a dedicated brew room that I can create 5 gallons x 2 fermentors of wort with.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2024, 10:55:30 pm »
I do 5 gallon batches but I transfer into 2 kegs, 2.5 gallons each. Those are easier to carry and fit better into my refrigerator than 5 gallon kegs.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2024, 03:25:54 am »
It's probably been 12 or 13 years since I brewed a 5 gallon batch, but that was how I started out. The initial equipment I bought didn't allow larger batches unless I did two. I brewed that way for many years always wanting to buy equipment for 10 gallon batches but too cheap to do it. By the time I finally bit the bullet and bought larger format equipment ,I was fairly confident there would never (or rarely) be another failed batch, and it just became an economy of scale.

Years ago I had a lot more traffic through my house and it was hard to keep up given the amount of time I had for brewing. Back then once a month I might have 30 to 40 people at the house for dinner, so that definitely came into play.

I still have large gatherings but they're far less common now because I moved to a place where I'm located more remote. I find myself brewing several weekends in a row and then having months not touching it at all. I may be going back to five gallon batches on stuff I want to experiment with, but I find myself even then, more comfortable just doing the same 10g every time.

The 10 gallon batches can be a double-edged sword. Most of the time I think it's the perfect batch size. But when something doesn't turn out really good to my taste, I find myself far more likely to dump the beer and just cut my losses. My threshold for what I consider acceptable has raised considerably over the years. I refuse to drink something I don't like and I definitely refuse to serve it to someone else. It's most painful when you purchase two rather expensive kits and then the utility sink drinks then.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2024, 08:15:49 am »

6-6.5
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2024, 08:27:31 am »
2.5 gallons, packaged.  For many reasons, that’s the size that works perfectly for me personally.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2024, 08:34:10 am »
My batch size is around 5.5 gallons. My packaging size is ~5 gallons.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2024, 08:47:56 am »
My standard batch size is 5.5 gallons, which gives me 5 gallons into a keg. On the rare occasion that I brew from a kit, I use 5 gallons and I'll also use 4.25 gallons for no sparge brews.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline pv

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2024, 04:26:23 pm »
I usually brew 7gal in my 65L Brewzilla.  I keg 5gal and bottle 2gal to add to my inventory.
Upstate South Carolina

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2024, 05:03:26 pm »
Nominally its 10 gallons, but it seems like I always end up with 9 gallons, which is fine with 4.5 gallons going into each keg.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2024, 10:50:41 am »
I target 3 gallons in fermenter to end up with a full-ish 2.5 gallon keg.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer