Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do you suppose it will have survived?  (Read 606 times)

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Do you suppose it will have survived?
« on: June 13, 2024, 11:09:43 am »
I placed an order for ingredients from MB Monday morning.  In that I had 2 packs of two different liquid yeasts.  I paid for an insulation pack and 2 packs of ice, figuring this would be fine for this amount of transit time.  They're in PA and so am I, typically 1 day.

Well, I was correct that the amount of ice was ok.  It arrived a few minutes ago with the 2 ice packs barely thawed inside an insulated package.  My yeast however was thrown in a different un-insulated plastic bag and left to fend for itself.  So not only did I get hosed out of the 5 bucks for the ice and mailer, but the yeast situation is anyone's guess.

I have it in the fridge here at work but it has no freezer.  I fully intended to pitch these directly, do you guys suppose that is still an option?.  Temp of the contents of the two boxes are 77F per my IR thermometer, so that's what the yeast came at.  The ice pack bag was nice and cold though.

(edit to add/update, 6/25).  I wrote to customer service at Morebeer to follow up, as I'd told them I would do after seeing if the yeast was ok or not.  As of this AM, it does appear it's at least 99.99% dead..  Today they replied via email but then also called to make sure I wasn't left hanging, and they did offer to replace the yeast and ice overnight. This I declined since that's a waste of overnight shipping for yeast I wouldn't be able to use right away anyhow.  So in lieu of that they sent a gift card to refund the cost of the yeast and ice, in spite of my not knowing if the second pack is dead or not.  (which I also pointed out might yet be ok as that's an ale strain).

My hope (and I'm pretty confident, theirs also) is they make sure this is perfectly clear to folks packing orders, that yes, the ice and yeast must go in the same insulated container or it won't survive...

« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 10:21:34 am by CounterPressure »

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Do you suppose it will have survived?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2024, 11:32:49 am »
My guess is that it is fine but it's easy to do a starter so why not.
In the mean time write to MB and tell them what happened. I would not be surprised if they refund the ice and send new yeast or refund the ice and yeast and let you keep it.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2024, 11:49:21 am »
In the mean time write to MB and tell them what happened. I would not be surprised if they refund the ice and send new yeast or refund the ice and yeast and let you keep it.
I only have one flask so I can only do one starter for this weekend.  Well, If I brew on two days instead of one, wasting one entire day, I can do 2 starters. :D 

I did call their CS just to ask wth?  Seriously? Ice insulated and yeast is not?  Like this didn't throw up a red flag to anyone that the yeast and ice were not together?

I never got an email saying hey, we made a note of it (as I asked) So for all I know they just took the call and ignored it.  I didn't ask for any refund since I didn't know if it was ok or not and I try not to be an entitled parasite.  I do however like to get what I pay for, and remaining silent doesn't help either of us.

Doing starters after having paid specifically to avoid doing starters, wasn't in my plans for Friday and Saturday evenings... but I guess it is now.  On the bright site, dme is only $7/lb and I probably have enough to do 2 starters.  What's a little more money on top of the $32 for the yeast...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 12:41:36 pm »
I only have one flask so I can only do one starter for this weekend.  Well, If I brew on two days instead of one, wasting one entire day, I can do 2 starters. :D 

I did call their CS just to ask wth?  Seriously? Ice insulated and yeast is not?  Like this didn't throw up a red flag to anyone that the yeast and ice were not together?

I never got an email saying hey, we made a note of it (as I asked) So for all I know they just took the call and ignored it.  I didn't ask for any refund since I didn't know if it was ok or not and I try not to be an entitled parasite.  I do however like to get what I pay for, and remaining silent doesn't help either of us.

Doing starters after having paid specifically to avoid doing starters, wasn't in my plans for Friday and Saturday evenings... but I guess it is now.  On the bright site, dme is only $7/lb and I probably have enough to do 2 starters.  What's a little more money on top of the $32 for the yeast...

You don't need a flask for a starter.  I use a 1 gal glass jug that held apple juice. 3 oz. DME to 1 qt. water.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2024, 01:25:08 pm »
You don't need a flask for a starter.  I use a 1 gal glass jug that held apple juice. 3 oz. DME to 1 qt. water.
I gave all my stuff like that to my sisters, so probably the biggest thing I have left that's glass is a 2qt canning jar, if I even have one of them. I do have carboys still... Bit big for a starter...

3oz to a qt?  I would have expected a lot more. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2024, 01:36:36 pm »
I gave all my stuff like that to my sisters, so probably the biggest thing I have left that's glass is a 2qt canning jar, if I even have one of them. I do have carboys still... Bit big for a starter...

that gives you a starter gravity of 1.035  ish

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2024, 05:32:17 am »
On this SNS stuff, I see recommendations of a container 4x the size of the starter. Is that due to the foam dissipating slower because it's not on a stir plate?  To keep it from overflowing?  I do have 2 1.5G BMBs I can use... 

I also wonder about the stir plate thing.  Do people generally use the really small stir bars?  I made my stir plate myself, and I use a 2" stir bar going pretty slow.  I wonder if it has the same "blender" effect the smaller bars do.  Not that I'd miss using it. I've only done 3 starters with it since I built the thing but I'd be just as happy letting it sit.

Do folks oxygenate the wort for the starter?  Seems like that would be required but I've never seen it mentioned.  I've probably used liquid yeast all of 4 or 5 times in my brewing history, and only bought an oxygen stone around 2014 or so.  So I have no idea what the contemporary views are on this. Just the SNS was news to me...

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2024, 06:08:44 am »

I don't think it needs to be glass. As long as it's cleanable & santizable ... any 1-gallon food-safe jug should work.

I'd feel a lot safer shaking the Dickens out of a non-shatterable plastic water jug than anything glass, anyway.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2024, 09:39:55 am »
On this SNS stuff, I see recommendations of a container 4x the size of the starter. Is that due to the foam dissipating slower because it's not on a stir plate?  To keep it from overflowing?  I do have 2 1.5G BMBs I can use... 

I also wonder about the stir plate thing.  Do people generally use the really small stir bars?  I made my stir plate myself, and I use a 2" stir bar going pretty slow.  I wonder if it has the same "blender" effect the smaller bars do.  Not that I'd miss using it. I've only done 3 starters with it since I built the thing but I'd be just as happy letting it sit.

Do folks oxygenate the wort for the starter?  Seems like that would be required but I've never seen it mentioned.  I've probably used liquid yeast all of 4 or 5 times in my brewing history, and only bought an oxygen stone around 2014 or so.  So I have no idea what the contemporary views are on this. Just the SNS was news to me...

The container size is simply so you get enough foam by shaking. With SNS, shaking is your starter aeration.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2024, 12:08:02 pm »

The container size is simply so you get enough foam by shaking. With SNS, shaking is your starter aeration.
Right, and my maximizing the foam you maximize surface area in the wort for oxygen to be absorbed into the liquid. You're starting with wort that is essentially at the maximum oxygen concentration when using air for oxygenation.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2024, 04:45:34 pm »
Well, Saturday I made a starter for the pack of WY2124 to make my Märzen. Did about 1400ml. Yesterday by 6pm, and on my stir plate at about 120rpms, there was no sign of activity. This after smacking and shaking, and injecting oxygen directly into the wort. Figuring it couldn't all be dead, I pitched it into 2 BMBs of 1.056 wort at just under 16C. It quickly cooled to the recommended range of 8-12C. Today, no activity whatsoever, so I added Oxygen again. If it's not working by tomorrow, I guess I'll be adding slurry to this beer.

I'm not a very happy camper, having paid Morebeer to kill my yeast and fleece me out of the money for the ice on top of it. Never mind the additional wasted time on the  starter and dme.  I do not know if the WL purepitch is dead or not, as I've not had time to brew with that due to the one day brew now being 2.  I can scarcely say how infuriating this is...

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2024, 07:12:40 am »

There is a good excuse to visit your local brewpub and buy a growler of their best beer. The growlers make great starter vessels.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2024, 07:28:22 am »
There is a good excuse to visit your local brewpub and buy a growler of their best beer. The growlers make great starter vessels.
Hadn't thought of that.  Those I have a few left (that so called friends have not taken and never returned, yet...) lol.  I bought 3 in the last 3 months. Used to have cases of em...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2024, 08:14:01 am »

If you're going to use it for SNS, it would need to be a 1 gallon growler.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2024, 08:42:10 am »
If you're going to use it for SNS, it would need to be a 1 gallon growler.
How about if I inject it with oxygen?  I would think that is plenty of O, no? 

I decided not to use my little-big-mouth-bubblers due to shaking all sorts of wort and crap onto the gaskets that I don't want all dirty and stained (if I can help it).  I haven't found any large glass containers cheap anywhere, and wasn't going to spend more on stuff I use once in a blue moon.  I already have loads of single use things I just couldn't live without. The house is full of em. :D