Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What to do with Irish Moss?  (Read 308 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
What to do with Irish Moss?
« on: June 08, 2024, 03:41:52 pm »
Can Irish Moss be thrown down my hop spider during the boil? Or do I want the stuff to be swimming around freely throughout the boil? I plan to also use unflavored gelatin come Bottling Day.

My hop spider is four inches in diameter by sixteen inches tall. I had it made so tall so that I could stir the wort with the spider. It's 300 microns. Would using it to stir the wort cause tiny pieces of the hop pellets to escape the spider and find their way into my fermenter?

I have a piece of 110-micron nylon cloth that I plan to secure to my fermenter with bungees, and then pour the cooled wort through the cloth. I'm convincing myself that such procedures will keep the large majority of the hop slop out of my fermenter.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What to do with Irish Moss?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 08:34:27 am »
It will probably work better directly in the kettle
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 09:07:04 am »
I always threw it right in the kettle but I also quit using it many years ago. I found that my yeast cake in the fermenter was on the order of three times as large with gigantic chunks of spongy protein and yeast which caused my beer yield to drop so far as to get me to quit using it. Whirlflock or what's the other tablet stuff, works just as well if not better and doesn't leave you with chunks of stuff in the beer. And if any of that stuff ever makes it through into your keg, it's going to plug the dip tube and poppets better than you could do with silicone gasket material.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2024, 04:46:28 pm »
I agree with CounterPressure. Whirlfloc is an excellent product. I haven't used Irish moss in over a decade.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 09:24:57 am »
I always threw it right in the kettle but I also quit using it many years ago. I found that my yeast cake in the fermenter was on the order of three times as large with gigantic chunks of spongy protein and yeast which caused my beer yield to drop so far as to get me to quit using it. Whirlflock or what's the other tablet stuff, works just as well if not better and doesn't leave you with chunks of stuff in the beer. And if any of that stuff ever makes it through into your keg, it's going to plug the dip tube and poppets better than you could do with silicone gasket material.
A few years ago I did an experiment using more Irish Moss because of some problem with chill haze. I went all the way up to 2 tsp in a 5 gallon batch. I got really large curds in the trub, but it had very little effect on the amount of trub loss. But I did find that it pretty much killed the head retention. I went back to 1/2 tsp for a 5 gallon batch.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 09:11:51 am »
A few years ago I did an experiment using more Irish Moss because of some problem with chill haze. I went all the way up to 2 tsp in a 5 gallon batch. I got really large curds in the trub, but it had very little effect on the amount of trub loss. But I did find that it pretty much killed the head retention. I went back to 1/2 tsp for a 5 gallon batch.

That outcome is well documented.  Unfortunately you aren't the first to encounter it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024, 07:59:01 pm »
That outcome is well documented.  Unfortunately you aren't the first to encounter it.
Well unfortunately nobody told me it was well documented, so I had to figure it out for myself.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 09:01:47 am »
Well unfortunately nobody told me it was well documented, so I had to figure it out for myself.

As with many things, huh?

www.dennybrew.com