Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let it Rip  (Read 469 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Let it Rip
« on: June 03, 2024, 03:07:22 pm »
I'm sure this has probably been asked before but here goes anyways. Has anyone ever let 34/70 or Diamond Lager just rip into the temperature stratosphere? Say pitch at mid 60's and then let it go.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Let it Rip
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2024, 04:17:01 pm »
I have fermented 34/70 at 65°F with great success.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2024, 05:08:14 pm »
I have never. I did pitch my latest 34 70 batch at about 65, but then set the temp to lower to 57.  My experiences with allowing yeast to get too warm have all ended in disaster, though those have all been ales. Fermentis says on the package that low 60s is actually in the recommended range, so I'm not sure 65 would be pushing it much. Low 70s is perhaps...  looking at a package I used last week, temp ideal is 12-18, 53.6-64.4.

(Edit) my temp choice this time was also influenced by using S23 in one fermenter placed in the same fridge, and its recommended temperature range is 53 to 59 12-15
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 05:12:59 pm by CounterPressure »

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2024, 05:14:45 pm »
Yes, I split a batch of wort once and ran one half with 34/70 in a fermenter right next to the other half with US-05 at about 68-72°F ambient temp.

The 34/70 was, if anything, cleaner than the US-05.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2024, 08:07:28 am »
I've used 34/70 at 67F and liked the results. Fermentis did a study https://fermentis.com/en/news/fermentation/rediscover-saflager-w-34-70/
From the report:
Key conclusions
Our study has demonstrated the constant neutral character of SafLager™ W-34/70 over different fermentation conditions, including higher temperatures. This yeast remains very robust and stable over many different conditions.

The most important point for the brewers is this: SafLager™ W-34/70 can ensure both a faster and neutral fermentation profile at higher temperatures. The same neutral beer in less time in the fermentation tank.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2024, 09:02:40 am »
Yes, I split a batch of wort once and ran one half with 34/70 in a fermenter right next to the other half with US-05 at about 68-72°F ambient temp.

The 34/70 was, if anything, cleaner than the US-05.

IMO, it's hard not to be cleaner than 05.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2024, 04:11:31 am »
I've used 34/70 at 67F and liked the results. Fermentis did a study https://fermentis.com/en/news/fermentation/rediscover-saflager-w-34-70/
From the report:
Key conclusions
Our study has demonstrated the constant neutral character of SafLager™ W-34/70 over different fermentation conditions, including higher temperatures. This yeast remains very robust and stable over many different conditions.

The most important point for the brewers is this: SafLager™ W-34/70 can ensure both a faster and neutral fermentation profile at higher temperatures. The same neutral beer in less time in the fermentation tank.

Interesting! I always ferment 34/70, Diamond, etc. at 48-52F. I will start to experiment with increasing temps by 5* per batch.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2024, 09:44:34 am »
If 34/70 is the dry version of 2124 (Carlsberg/Pastorianus) then the suggested temp range is 45-68°.  For me, personally .. I have never used this yeast strain at higher temps but it's nice to know that if I whiff on the pitch temp or my fridge takes a coffee break, the yeast would be forgiving.  2124 is one of my favorite strains here for lagers. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 08:06:22 am »
If 34/70 is the dry version of 2124 (Carlsberg/Pastorianus) then the suggested temp range is 45-68°.  For me, personally .. I have never used this yeast strain at higher temps but it's nice to know that if I whiff on the pitch temp or my fridge takes a coffee break, the yeast would be forgiving.  2124 is one of my favorite strains here for lagers.

I too love 2124.  However, I might consider using 34/70 in a lager at 65 degrees just because not having to make a starter and lowering my walk-in cooler temp to the low 50's (which makes my electric meter and the resulting bill go nuts).
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2024, 08:31:34 am »

I too love 2124.  However, I might consider using 34/70 in a lager at 65 degrees just because not having to make a starter and lowering my walk-in cooler temp to the low 50's (which makes my electric meter and the resulting bill go nuts).
Having a walk-in cooler is a good problem to have.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2024, 09:58:48 am »
I've used 34/70 "warm" twice.  Pitched in the mid 50's, let it rise to upper 60's (+/-).  The first time was in a poorly designed Festbier (not the yeast's fault, which did produce a clean, clear beer) and the last time in a Cold IPA.  The Cold IPA was glorious.

I intend to use 34/70 in a Cream Ale this weekend.  My thoughts are to again pitch it cold, on the low end of it's temp range, and then let it creep into the low-mid-upper 60's.

I do wonder if it makes any difference, other than lag time, if I were to pitch it cold (say low 50's) vs. pitching warmer (say 65°F).  My guess is that the end beer would taste the same, at least to me.

Very handy yeast, this.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2024, 10:24:40 am »
I used 34/70 many times at 62-65F in a bucket fermenter with universally good results over the years. Once I switched to fermenting in a keg under pressure, I typically ferment in the 65-68F range. I have used Diamond in this same temperature range a few times as well, and my results have been as good as 34/70, if not better.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2024, 10:33:34 am »
Off-topic but 34/70 or 2124 just has such a nice aroma to me.  It's one reason I like it.  There is something European about it .. "Bohemian" suggests "Czech" but it sometimes seems like people refer to it as "German", etc.  I was in Costa Rica and drinking the standard beer there called Imperial (available in the US too).  I found it mildly boring so I tried a beer there called Pilsen.  As soon as I tasted it I guessed that the yeast was an equivalent of 2124.  Unmistakable to me.  My (now ex-) wife tried it and agreed "Oh yeah, much better".  The yeast character in the final beer matters, for sure. 
Ken from Chicago.