Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why corn sugar?  (Read 642 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Why corn sugar?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2024, 06:07:52 am »
I’ll be using 4oz of Corn Sugar in the boil for a Cream Ale this morning.  Why?  Because the last time I did it, the beer came out absolutely fantastic.  So why change?  For a few pennies?

I suspect I will now be banished forthwith from this board.  :)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2024, 08:19:06 am »
Corn sugar is glucose where as table sugar is sucrose. The thinking behind corn sugar for priming sugar is that is is easier for the yeast to metabolize. Since the yeast is already at low vitality it may be a better option for bottle conditioning. But in practice it probably doesn't matter.

Corn sugar is dextrose (chemically identical to glucose).  I only use it in my West Coast IPA's.  Since I force carbonate everything and bottle from the keg when needed for a competition, I don't use it to naturally carbonate the beer.

For things like my Tripel and Quad, I use table sugar, specifically beet sugar.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2024, 04:55:31 pm »
I suspect the prejudice towards using corn sugar instead of table sugar dates back to the early days of homebrewing in the 1970s and 1980s where the standard homebrew recipe consisted of mixing a 3.3 lb. can of Muntons & Fison's liquid malt extract with 2 lbs. of table sugar. Homebrewers would complain that resultant beer tasted cidery, whereas if you brewed with 2 can of M&F LME and omitted the table sugar, the beer tasted much better. So table sugar was blamed for causing cider tastes in beer, when the real culprit was just using too much sugar of any kind.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2024, 08:23:13 pm »
Corn sugar is glucose where as table sugar is sucrose. The thinking behind corn sugar for priming sugar is that is is easier for the yeast to metabolize. Since the yeast is already at low vitality it may be a better option for bottle conditioning. But in practice it probably doesn't matter.

Corn sugar is dextrose (chemically identical to glucose).  I only use it in my West Coast IPA's.  Since I force carbonate everything and bottle from the keg when needed for a competition, I don't use it to naturally carbonate the beer.

For things like my Tripel and Quad, I use table sugar, specifically beet sugar.

Right. Dextrose and glucose are basically the same thing. I actually meant to say dextrose but it came out glucose. lol.

Regardless, I don't think it matters much in bottle conditioning. The yeast have to take "an extra step" to covert the sucrose but they are fully capable of that extra step. It's one of those things that checks boxes scientifically but doesn't make much difference in real world application.