Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anchor Brewing revived  (Read 862 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Anchor Brewing revived
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2024, 09:26:59 pm »
Back in the late 90's and early 2000's we used to get Anchor Porter and Liberty IPA here in Alabama. I remember them both being quite delicious. That said, I was never a huge fan of the Steam beer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2024, 05:59:00 am »
Back in the late 90's and early 2000's we used to get Anchor Porter and Liberty IPA here in Alabama. I remember them both being quite delicious. That said, I was never a huge fan of the Steam beer

Ditto, but in Wisconsin.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2024, 08:50:37 am »

I found Anchor Steam in Montgomery once. This would've been around 2019/2020. I remember it being ok but not exceptional.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2024, 09:45:18 am »
i think this does really get to the core of the issue with "reviving" this brewery - no offense but why? the only reason i could imagine, is that it was a regional thing, but i kind of doubt that. if they revive it, i mean they'll probably have to completely change it conceptually or it wont work anyway. so.... ???

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2024, 10:41:30 am »
i think this does really get to the core of the issue with "reviving" this brewery - no offense but why? the only reason i could imagine, is that it was a regional thing, but i kind of doubt that. if they revive it, i mean they'll probably have to completely change it conceptually or it wont work anyway. so.... ???

Billionaires can do whatever they want.  We have zero comprehension of how meaningless money is to a billionaire.  Nobody might buy the beer and he doesn't need to care.  At least the Christmas Ale will sell well, wherever it is distributed, hopefully broadly.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2024, 11:48:33 am »

Billionaires can do whatever they want.  We have zero comprehension of how meaningless money is to a billionaire.  Nobody might buy the beer and he doesn't need to care.  At least the Christmas Ale will sell well, wherever it is distributed, hopefully broadly.

unrelated but this kind of purchase reminded me of buying pabst blue ribbon. which is now a virtual brewery ie. there is no pabst brewery in the world.

contract brewing is growing rapidly. more and more and MORE (i have to add emphasis here, its shocking tbh) import brands from everywhere in the world have had agreements made to be contract brewed in canada, and they are making far inferior products.

just had a contract brewed lion stout the other day. it was not terrible, but very different from the original product from sri lanka, which i have probably drunk 20 litres of in my life over decades. the original had a strong campfire smoke taste, way smoother and lighter carbonation (it was bottle carbed) and a smoother taste, presumably from more time in tanks or bottles.

this one is just a strong generic imp stout wth the lion stout label on it in a can, force carbed.

its interesting and relevant how the state of the beer industry continues to change in ways people never anticipated, and that more and more homebrewing is going to be important IMHO when your choices are taken away by the core element of business - profit.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2024, 01:48:14 pm »
contract brewing is growing rapidly. more and more and MORE (i have to add emphasis here, its shocking tbh) import brands from everywhere in the world have had agreements made to be contract brewed in canada, and they are making far inferior products.
I think Anheuser-Busch in Texas is contract brewing for Yuengling now. Not all their styles but several.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2024, 02:32:30 am »
unrelated but this kind of purchase reminded me of buying pabst blue ribbon. which is now a virtual brewery ie. there is no pabst brewery in the world.

Pabst is a weird case though. You're right there's no "Pabst Brewery" (there actually was for a hot minute a yearo r two back after they bought the Miller plant in Irwindale but they only held that for a little bit before Blue Ribbon Partners (which is the group that owns the whole Pabst portfolio) sold the brewery to City Brewing (which handles the largest portion of the country's contract brewed beers, RTDs, seltzers, etc)... and then bought City Brewing.

So yes, the "Irwindale Brew Yard" (which sports the large historical "Miller" sign on top of it) is a City Brewing facility that brews Pabst while being owned by the parent company that owns Pabst. So, not a Pabst brewery, but a Pabst's parent's brewery.

Ok and back to Anchor - here's why it matters to me - Fritz buying Anchor is absolutely a cornerstone story of the American Craft Beer Movement and Anchor is a perfect example of something that lost its way under it's non-Fritz ownership as the Craft movement has matured into the non-growth field it is today. This purchase, this owner can hopefully put the burnish back on one of the crown jewels of the story. 
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2024, 04:30:24 am »
+1. It’s nostalgic to have old breweries still active. It gives a sense of history and depth. A facet in the diamond of the craft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2024, 01:36:50 pm »
Wegmans in the NOVA area carried Anchor Steam.

Once, at a restaurant in Gainesville, VA, they had Anchor Steam on tap. Nirvana.

IMO, the older Anchor Steam was very good. However, the recent Anchor Steam was awful.