Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Banana flavor in hefe question  (Read 895 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Banana flavor in hefe question
« on: May 23, 2024, 09:10:20 am »
Can I brew a German hefe with a neutral yeast and mimic the banana flavor using actual bananas?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Banana flavor in hefe question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 09:38:52 am »
Can I brew a German hefe with a neutral yeast and mimic the banana flavor using actual bananas?

Not really. Won't get as much banana flavor with bananas. And then there's the clove component.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 11:43:35 am »

Is this question rhetorical?  If not, why not just use a hefe yeast?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 03:49:40 pm »
I thought to force the banana a warmer fermentation was all that was needed. Is this not valid?

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 07:22:24 am »
Warmer fermentation, under-pitch to stress the yeast, complete a step-mash, pitch with the moon over your left shoulder  ::) . . . .  I’ve tried all of it and was successful in one instance out of about 20, and I can’t duplicate it.  In my experience, a good hefe is one of the most difficult brews to make.  So, I’ll be anxious to follow this thread.

Cheers!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 08:12:14 am »
I thought to force the banana a warmer fermentation was all that was needed. Is this not valid?

There's more to it than that. Amount of wheat as well as yeast strain and other factors play into it. Simply fermenting any yeast warmer will not do it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 08:12:54 am »
Warmer fermentation, under-pitch to stress the yeast, complete a step-mash, pitch with the moon over your left shoulder  ::) . . . .  I’ve tried all of it and was successful in one instance out of about 20, and I can’t duplicate it.  In my experience, a good hefe is one of the most difficult brews to make.  So, I’ll be anxious to follow this thread.

Cheers!

Check out the hefeweizen tips in our latest podcast.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 08:25:14 am »
If you're just looking for banana and don't want to fuss with a weizen strain, S04 fermented around 74F will throw a ton of banana.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2024, 09:25:11 am »

Is this question rhetorical?  If not, why not just use a hefe yeast?
Semi rhetorical. Occasionally I wonder about things. I have some wheat dme, to use on an easy brew day, and several available non hefe yeasts and I want to do something other than plain wheat beer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2024, 09:28:32 am »
If you're just looking for banana and don't want to fuss with a weizen strain, S04 fermented around 74F will throw a ton of banana.
I just bottled a rye porter fermented close to that with S-04 and didn't get any banana.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2024, 11:53:38 am »
I just bottled a rye porter fermented close to that with S-04 and didn't get any banana.

The only things I've gotten from S-04 are either Chico-esque neutrality or an unpleasant whang. I've never even gotten pleasant English-y esters, let alone banana.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2024, 12:13:54 pm »

The only things I've gotten from S-04 are either Chico-esque neutrality or an unpleasant whang. I've never even gotten pleasant English-y esters, let alone banana.

I get an unwelcome breadiness

www.dennybrew.com

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2024, 08:41:19 pm »
I've tried a few drops of banana "essence" in a glass, and it didn't work very well.

That said, Germans have been known to add banana "nectar" to weizens. Google "kristallweizen bananen nektar"